Message for Tomo; radar detectors - Alwyn
Re: Gatso Locations by County
Author: Alwyn (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 25-02-02 13:04

Tomo,

Are the Scottish laws different to England and Wales?

I have just dug this out of my car where I keep a copy in case plod wants to argue.

Regina versus Knightbridge Crown Court, Ex parte Foot. January 29th

Before Lord Justice Simon Brown and Mr Justice Mance.

" Microwave radio transmissions from police radar speed guns did not constitute a "message" for the purposed of Section 5(b) (1) of the WirelessTelegraphy Act 1949, even within the extended meaning of the "message" given by Section 19 (6)

Accordingly, the use by a motorist of an electric field meter to detect the presence of such emissions was not an offence under section 5(b) (i) since the device was not used "to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message"

Damn, just found this which would have saved all that one-finger typing

www.snooper.co.uk/law.htm

Any help?
Re: Message for Tomo; radar detectors - Tomo
Thanks Alwyn,

There certainly has been an announcement from the Scottish Executive (well named in my opinion, they should be!) that radar detectors are illegal in Scotland; I do not know if it has been before Scottish Parliament, but they would nod it through anyway. I expect.

Just how this is achieved, since we come under the UK wireless telegraphy acts, is not clear to me but I notice advertisers for detectors are now stating "illegal in Scotland and Northern Ireland". If they have not seen fit to contest the edict in the courts I take it I cannot afford to. Besides, that would certainly get Plod excited!

.Anyway, now to the site you kindly supplied

Best wishes, Tomo
Don't bother - Stuart
Most manned speed traps are now laser and the detector only picks up the gun when it is active which is too late. In my epxerience the only things that work are:

Geodesy system. This is a GPS locator that compares your car position to that of all the fixed cameras and warns you accordingly. Brilliant and not illegal anywhere, have one myself.

Laser jammers. Probably illegal under the offence of attempting to pervert the course of justice but they do work brilliantly. Do not have one but considering it.

Hope that helps.
Re: Don't bother - Alwyn
Stuart,

You are right to say don't bother with a radar detector.

I have a Bel 980 and it is a fine piece of kit but unfortunately picks up so many supermarket doors and security system radars that when I get an alarm caused by a Gatso, I sometimes wonder if it is another door opener.

The range is not that great for K band Gatsos (the only sort). The best I have had is about 200 yards but it is often less than perhaps 60. The X band could be detected from perhaps half a mile away but K band is much lower powered.

I cannot decide which GPS to go for. I am told Trafcam is excellent but is rather bulky. I have seen complaints about Orign Blue and Geodesy backup but I don't know from personal experience which may be best.

What is your finding with Geodesy? Do you have the latest Geodesy Plus?

I am inching towards Trafcam if I could only find a place to hang it neatly without being visible from outside. Remote antennae for the GPS would solve it I suppose.

If only police and politicians would stop lying to us, we not even be having this chat.
Ooops. Correkshun.

>If only police and politicians would stop lying to us, we would not even be having this chat.<
Geodesy OK but. - Flat in Fifth
Posted this earlier for Tomo but no response so here it is again. Be careful with Geodesy, they do not include in their database location sites for Truvelo which are face on, and also will not include regular manned sites. They say that this is because too many people report them as false alarms.

I hear that the Origin Blue i is the thing to have at the moment. It takes account of which direction the trap operates in, and does not give alarms if it faces the other way, but tells you if it is reversible.

Also there are options where it does not warn you if you are already under the limit.

NB I'm not condoning using these devices in order to speed, just to help preserve one's licence in a points free condition.
Re: Geodesy OK but. - lada riva owner.
Remember that if you are member of the ABD, you get 20% off radar detectors off a company that advertises in the ABD magazine.
Re: Geodesy OK but. - Tomo
Sorry, did not see it. I have Geodesy and lent it out for checking around Edinburgh, where it was thought to be effective. Obviously it is only as good as the reporting.

It must be better than nothing. At least with the remote antenna it is not notiveable.

Thanks to all, Tomo
Re: Don't bother - Dwight Van Driver
Best anti speed device on the market is a 'Clarks' size 10 right shoe in the lightly applied mode coupled with a set of Mark 1 eyeballs.

A good housebreaker never tells anyone what he is up to and that is why on many occasions he gets away with it?

DVD

Dwight,

Toooooooooooooo stressful. Lets just drive at a safe speed for the conditions.

Cheers,

De Silva Volvo Driva
What do Walls have? - Flat in Fifth
Alwyn,

sausages of course

off site methinks,

S
Re: What do Walls have? - Flat in Fifth
Oops sorry Alwyn just realised you were talking to t'other Stuart
I'll keep my nose out, sorry.

DVD = spot on IMHO
how did you know about size 10 Dockers? spooky ;-)