Peugeot 309 1.9d driveshaft problems - mark
I get a clunking sound when I turn right. You would
think cv joint. I have now replaced the driveshaft
three times. The clunking disappears for a day or so.
I have also replaced RH wheel bearing, RH track
control arm (bottom joint) front struts and mountings.
The car has never been in an accident - the front end
is not bent or deformed - it does not excessively wear
tyres. Can anybody tell me why my car appears to be
destroying CV joints rapidly. Or is it another
problem?...
Re: Peugeot 309 1.9d driveshaft problems - steve paterson
CV joints don't usually clunk, even when worn out. You've replaced everything that might cause a clunk, apart from the engine / gearbox mountings. Maybe when you've jacked the car up to replace the various bits and bobs, engine mounts have been 'shifted' and then settled back after a few miles.
Re: Peugeot 309 1.9d driveshaft problems - Mike Harvey
Steve is right. Maybe the road spring is weak, and rotating in its mountings when on lock. That makes a good clonk! I've no idea of your mechanical ability or tool kit, so are you sure you have assembled the thing properly? From memory, the torque on the front driveshaft nut is about 250Nm, and a torque wrench of that calibre is beyond the reach of most. Could the tyre be catching the body or mudflap?
Regards
Mike
Re: Peugeot 309 1.9d driveshaft problems - mark
The clunking is a regular knocking/rattling sound not just a single clunk. I have had driveshafts go before and this sounds the same.
Re: Peugeot 309 1.9d driveshaft problems - Guy Lacey
Could be a worn/loose wishbone bush.
Questions........... - Mark (Brazil)
You would expect the clunking to be in time with the wheel speed. i.e. the faster you are driving the faster is the clunking. Is that true ?

You would expect the noise to react (louder/quieter) depending on the road surface and camber. Is that true ?

Jack the car up. Do what you should never do and jack it up by the wishbone. Block it to make it safe, but you need the suspension under pressure.

Start it, put it in gear, start turning the steering wheel left and right to see if you can recreate "a" noise, it would be quieter than when you were driving.

Assuming you have blocked the car safely, do the same test while someone is bouncing the suspension.

(do, at all times, be careful of the spinning stuff - you don't want to get your knickers caught int eh drive shaft.

Are you replacing the driveshaft with new ones, or ones from the scrappie ? Are you refilling with appropriate grease ? Did you strip down one of the "broken" ones to look for something wearing on something else, or showing signs of having done so or having excessive or inadequate play anywhere (could be either).

Have you checked the chassis, whisbone, suspension parts near the spinning shaft, hub and wheel to see if any collisions are occuring ?

Since you have this two day delay, I think, as was already mentioned, that the changing process is distrubing something which is eventually returning to its position.

M.
Re: Questions........... - mark
The driveshafts are being replaced with recon exchange ones from a local factors. The driveshafts are under guarantee and they are honouring it. I haven't stripped any down in case the guarantee is void. The sound does change with wheelspeed and under acceleration. At high speed there is also a noise like a worn bearing that changes when you accelerate and decelerate I think this could be the intermediate bearing on this particular driveshaft, this is a recent noise (new ones come already fitted to the driveshafts). I cannot see any places where collisions are occuring. Thanks everybody for all the suggestions anymore ideas? Regards Mark
Re: Questions........... - Mike Harvey
Mark, well it's got me beat I think! Mark(Brazil)'s suggestions are clearly excellent for a more in depth look.Whilst its all spinning, have a look to see if the driveshaft runs concentrically, ie it is pulling up plumb onto the wheel bearing. My last thought is perhaps the diff, which would possibly make the noises you refer to on acceleration and over-run. Also on cornering, the planet gears start to rotate, and if you had a problem with the gears, carrier or bearing, it may well make the noises you suggest transmitting the noise down the driveshaft giving the appearance it is from there. I cannot suggest why it might stop for a day or two after a new shaft is fitted though. Sorry.
All the best,
Mike
Re: Questions........... - Simon Butterworth
Sounds like my 205. Badly repaired accident damage under previous ownership, hopefully better news in your case.