indoors or out! - alvin booth
What are your views of keeping a car in a garage in terms of is it beneficial for long term protection of the bodywork.
I have always made a point of never putting it inside if the car is wet as it will never dry off as well as being outside.
However from observation of other peoples cars I'm not sure if there's any value in garaging a car at all.
Alvin
Re: indoors or out! - GT
I guess the most harmful effect of keeping a car outside is prolonged daylight/sunlight. Given that most people who garage their cars presumably do so overnight, then it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference. The real benefit is security. On the other hand, if your garage is on the small side or you've got dodgy shelving loaded with cans of Dulux, then your bodywork isn't too safe inside either.
Re: indoors or out! - Tom Shaw
What with the freezer, wife's treadmill, two pushbikes, a motorcycle and the scalectrix layout I've never had a chance to find out. I'm always in a rush in the morning anyway, and having to open the garage door would be the final straw.
Re: indoors or out! - timmy
Depends what car you have and how long ur keeping it for.
My dad has a minted 7,000 mile 4 years old Mondeo always garaged - looks brand new - but who cares.
I would religiously (sp?) garage a convertible or an old car or a posh car, but it doesn't matter for most modern stuff......
Re: indoors or out! - Ian Cook
Alvin

We keep the Xantia outside, as we have done with all of our modern (post 1993) cars, because the paintwork seems to survive quite well.

The Citroen C15 van goes in the garage because I think that vans are not painted to the same standard as cars and its bodywork seems better protected indoors. This strategy seems to be working as the van is now 8 years old and not looking too bad. The garage is quite big and airy, so that helps with ventillation

Trouble is, we have to spend ages in the winter scraping ice off SWMBO's car, whereas my van is always ready for a quick getaway.

Ian
Re: indoors or out! - David W
Large airy barns are ideal for car storage, many house garages are not.

Red paint fade is the curse of some cars that stand out all year.

David
Re: indoors or out! - Brian
David
I think that you have hit the nail on the head, most house garages are too small and too badly ventilated to do much in the way of helping preserve a car.
Added to that, storage space in modern houses is minimal, so the garage fills with other items before the car gets a chance.