tyre assisted steering? - Andy T
Hi,
My wife's '93 clio diesel is due a new set of tyres.
Due to it not having power steering, I was wondering if I could downsize the standard tyre size from 155/70 to 145/80 to benefit from lighter steering.
The rim size is 5.00B by 13''.

Many thanks.
Re: tyre assisted steering? - Rob F
Yes you can. But it won't make much difference. Raise the front tyre pressures by 4-6 psi - it will make the world of difference.

Rob F
Re: tyre assisted steering? - Andy T
I already use 36 psi in the front tyres, compared to the standard 34psi. How much further can I safely inflate?
Also, does this not bring centre tread wear rate into the equation?
Re: tyre assisted steering? - Rob F
I run my Polo tyres at 28 psi, recommended is 23, and have done for 40k+. Tread wear rate was dead even, with 30k on 145s and about another 10-15k on 155/70s. Use the max laden pressure figures as your guide for safety (28 on Polo, but could very well be the same as unladen on a Clio).

34 psi standard eh? That diesel lump must weigh something!

Rob F
Re: tyre assisted steering? - KB
I agree that upping the pressure more will ease the effort. I had a '93 diesel Clio myself from new and at the time there was firm recommendation to get PAS (which I did), due to the, well acknowledged, heaviness of the steering.

I would think that just by getting new tyres will help a bit. This plus increased pressure would, I should think, help.

KB.
Re: tyre assisted steering? - Ian Cook
Andy

You probably won't have to mess around with tyre sizes - I think you'll be surprised how much lighter the steering will be just for fitting new tyres.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the new 8 millimetres (or so) of rubber introduces some compliance into the steering and making it feel easier. I certainly noticed this when I fitted new tyres to the front of my Pug 205D and Citroen C15D van.

HTH

Ian
Re: tyre assisted steering? - Honest John
A very dodgy way to achieve lighter steering is to set it for toe-in rather then toe out. Do not be tempted to allow this to be done. As the guys wrote, old tyres become like slicks with more rubber contact to the road. New tyres initially feel much lighter while the hard outer coating scrubs off. Then they continue to feel merely lighter because of the water dispersing gaps between the threads allowing som compliance, as was mentioned earlier.

HJ