Felicia PAS problem - David Gibbs
My Felicia GLi makes a growling noise ( apparently from the PAS) on full lock.
Any suggestions about possible causes?

Many thanks for your help!
Re: Felicia PAS problem - Andy Bairsto
Reach for your wallet time, I think it is probably the pump on the way out although it will probably last for years making the noise before it packs in.
Re: Felicia PAS problem - Honest John
Don't ever use full lock on a car with PAS or you will put unnecessary pressure on the end seals. The noises it makes are a warning.

HJ
Re: Felicia PAS problem - Alwyn
HJ

True. The belt used to slip on my Volvo on full lock and I have warned my wife not to hold the wheel on full lock when she is slowly backing into our driveway.

I believe it is only a problem if we actually hold the wheel hard over, and not a problem if the wheels are at full lock with no hands on the wheel. True?
Re: Felicia PAS problem - Keith
Totally agree with Alwyn
Re: Felicia PAS problem - Ian Cook
You're right, Alwyn. A power steering system is, essentially, an hydraulic servo system and with no "load" on the steering wheel there is equal pressure at both ends of the steering ram.

However, when you turn the steering wheel there is a very small amount of free play that uncovers a port allowing oil under pressure to one end of the ram. So if the steering is already hard over and you apply more steering wheel pressure you will keep this disproportionate pressure applied all the time. Either the belt will slip, or the pump will off-load (if it's fitted with a relief valve - not sure, here).

HTH

Ian