New "Police" Force Required - drbe
Reading the recurring threads on this site - there is ANOTHER one on the perennial problem of fog lights, leads me to the conclusion that we need a new police force.

This force would deal with things like:-

Fog lights on at inappropriate times.
Drivers using hand-held mobile phones.
Cars with tinted windows.
Cars parking on the pavement.

And so on and so on. this new police force would free up the bobby for REAL crime.

We would need a new Chief Constable and as I thought of the idea, I am prepared to consider accepting the office. A few things need to be sorted out - my uniform for one - perhaps I will ask the Italian Caribinieri for something that they discarded as being a little too flash for them.

My side arms are another matter - my force will be armed to the teeth and I will have the power of summary execution.

I can just see it working, can't you?
New "Police" Force Required - wobblyboot
I think you should also have the power to confiscate any vehicle being badly driven, and incorporate it into your force fleet
New "Police" Force Required - Happy Blue!
Oh Yes Oh Yes, especially the BMW 318i driving round and round a roundabout this evening, clearly weaving all over the show. If you ever wanted to see the automotive equivalent of Parkinsons Disease, you would have had a great show.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New "Police" Force Required - tack
To inject some seriousness (just for a moment) into this notion.

I have always been in favour of a separate traffic force. Most of the conflict between the public and police has been over traffic matters where police have been described as over zealous.

If it became a totally separate entity....why....even the real police could hate them as well and not feel guilty!

I think the uniform should be modelled along the lines of some of our greatest African dictators (Idi Amin was very fond of uniform blingery) Tasers and pump action shotguns would be weapons of choice for the officers (i.e. stun the offender first so you can get a proper good shot at him) and I would also like to see a rusty compass point used to gouge eyeballs!

(PS - I think they do a wonderful job.....really!)
New "Police" Force Required - Martin Devon
Right. That's it. You ain't got a clue. I can only presume that the rest of this Country is the same as sleepy Devon, but what of the gear that traffic Wardens, (for want of a better term), wear today. They look like members of a Swat team and I, and I am sure many of you will agree, that they probably get tooo excited just putting on the uniform and all that kit, nudge nudge! Think ahead you warden boys when the Grandkids ask you, "what you did for a living."

VBR TO ALL..........MD
New "Police" Force Required - AR-CoolC
I here ya drbe.

I would like to put myself forward for the position of fleet manager, and within that role there will be a few "perks" shall we say.

My new company car for a start.......this should do, seeing as how the Caribinieri have been mentioned already.

www.auto-italia.co.uk/features/preview_108.htm

Cheers
New "Police" Force Required - Fullchat
John Cameron announced on Monday that the Conservatives would reform the Police blah alah blah. Performance related pay blah blah blah. We've heard it all before. Not a day goes by where there is not some new announcement from the Spin Doctors that there is going to be some new laws to tackle some form of crime , behaviour etc. In reality very few ideas reach the drawing board..the majority is spin.All been said before and before that.
Rest assured if there was a seperate Traffic Force then Performance would be its sole driving force. They would be all thats wrong with Traffic Wardens, Speed cameras and Clamping Units.
Having said that the seed has been sown in the the form of the Highways Agency providing patrols to cover some of the Motorways and taking some of the menial tasks away from the Traffic Police - well whats left of them!
Some of our most prolific criminals have been arrested by Traffic Police and most criminals travel in cars. o you think a privatised Traffic Police would be interested in Crime? No its too time consuming "Lets just sheet em and get on with the next one".
These people are judged soley on the numbers of tickets issued not on the fact that the tickets are or are not paid or the drivers are actually untraceable or are wanted for other matters.

--
Fullchat
New "Police" Force Required - Pezzer
Agree with everything you said......apart from the first word :-)
New "Police" Force Required - Fullchat
Sorry- shows the impact he made on me!
--
Fullchat
New "Police" Force Required - drbe
Thank you for your responses.

Of course a number of the details have yet to be finalised - not least of course my own personal transport - I am tempted to use a Hummer, but I don't want to look flash.

Personal weaponry? Well during my military service (Sorry, I still can't talk about it) I had some experience of the Sten Gun, which is a sub-machine gun, now that is a SERIOUSLY scary weapon, it would alternate between jams and random mis-fires. If you were holding a Sten gun you got some serious respect from the people near you (well, to be truthful if you were holding a Sten there WAS nobody near you.

Keep you eyes open for an advertisement in The Grauniad shortly advertising vacancies.
New "Police" Force Required - Bill Payer
I'm sure we're not very far away from Traffic Wardens, Police Community Support Officers and HATO's having all the powers (and more) that you mentioned.

The real Police are far too busy worrying about political correctness to have any time for the everyday issues blighting people's lives.
New "Police" Force Required - Sofa Spud
Additional offences to be dealt with by this new 'police'
force.

Very loud car stereos.
Noisy exhausts
Causing unneccessary wheelspin

New "Police" Force Required - red vectra
well we all have the power of citizens arrest

and ever more offences are being made arrestable

so if you have the evidence (eg other witness or video etc) and the time why not drag them down the local court room yourself

especially useful where local police are too busy checking out fur coats or holding speed guns up and doing people for 35 in a 30

and dont forget to use minimum force when they resist

New "Police" Force Required - 42 years and counting ...
"well we all have the power of citizens arrest"

Only for arrestable offences that carry a possible prison sentence exceeding 6 months AND you actually witness the offence being committed AND you make the citizens arrest immediately AND you are willing to face up to being sued for wrongful arrest or imprisonment, and/or kidnapping, and/or etc...

A noisy exhaust does not yet carry such a sentence - maybe it should?
New "Police" Force Required - red vectra
Check out the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005. You might not realise that the Act brought with it some major, sweeping changes to powers of arrest and related activities from 1st January 2006. Mainly aimed at police but also applies to Citizens arrest.

So "Only for arrestable offences that carry a possible prison sentence exceeding 6 months" is incorrect. The phrase "arrestable offence" is obsolete. You can arrest for any indictable offence. You also have some powers re Summary and Triable Either Way offences.

Re "You actually witness the offence being committed", correct.

Re "AND you make the citizens arrest immediately" dont think so where do you believe this limitation is applied?

Re "AND you are willing to face up to being sued for wrongful arrest or imprisonment, and/or kidnapping, and/or etc..." absolutely, make sure you get it right

Plenty of scope for using your powers
New "Police" Force Required - Leif
The good news is that to pay for this fantastic new initiative we'll have a new tax, to be known as Plod Added Tax.

Anyway I was beginning to get angry about taking home too much money and was on the verge of spontaneously giving most of it away to the Inland Revenue who need it more than me. Sorted.

Mmmmmm.
New "Police" Force Required - redviper
Addtional Offence

Driving over painted chevrons (if thats how its spelt)

its sooooo anyoning when people do that!!!

--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
New "Police" Force Required - sierraman

Addtional Offence

Driving over painted chevrons (if thats how its spelt)

its sooooo anyoning when people do that!!!

Why?If I am wanting to turn right why do I need to contribute to the queue of traffic when there is a perfectly usable piece of road next to me that some traffic'planner'decided needed to be covered in paint.Too much of the stuff on the roads IMO.