VW Golf - Glove compartment - car dummy
I've got a VW Golf Mark 3 and the Glove Compartment is permanantly closed i think the lock is broken, what is the best way to tackle this problem?
I dont want to be too forceful with it, just in case it becomes a bit costly to fix afterwards.

Cheers!
VW Golf - Glove compartment - GGH
The lock on my Mk3 failed, so I had to break the plastic catch. Replacement catch was so expensive I declined to buy it. I super glued the old catch which after 6 years use is still in one bit, however I replaced it last month with a second hand one from a brakers yard as I had nothing better to do.
VW Golf - Glove compartment - Xileno {P}
I've come across a few Golf MK3's with broken glovebox catches. Must be a weak point.
VW Golf - Glove compartment - A Ferguson
If it is the plastic handle/lever which is broken and not operating the catch, these can be replaced fairly easily. I replaced one about two years ago. Try to open the lid by inserting a screwdriver through the slot in the lever cover and pushing the lever behind, (down I think!)to release the catch. Once the lid is open there is just a cover plate and then the plastic handle and recessed front cover can be released by removal of visible screws. Replacement part from VAG about £7.50. Providing you do not damage the operating mechanism behind the handle it is a fairly simple job. Hope this is of help.