How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - perleman
I know there will be some here who will think this is a ridiculous thing to share, but if I only just worked it out after 6 and a half years of driving then there must be a few that will benefit from this little tip:

When I fill up, I find it really hard not to get a few drops of petrol on the car, which invariable either marks the laquer, or results in a scramble for the (often missing) forecourt wet sponge, not pleasent in this nippy weather. It dawned upon me last week that after you finish fueling, rather than shaking the nozzle, trying to time between drips to whip it away from the car etc, you can pull it -just- out (so any drips still go into the car's tank), rotate the nozzle through 180 degrees so it's pointing upwards, and hey presto, no more drippage or spillage woes!

Now where's that T-cut......
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - L'escargot
I'm more concerned with making sure petrol doesn't drip on my Guccis.
--
L\'escargot.
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - perleman
I knew ir would be a complete waste of time posting that message!!!!!
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Civic8
No not a waste of time,it was a laugh.but find once trigger is released, you only get a few drops out,bearing in mind it depends on where filler pipe is located on car?.so it may be usefull to someone;)
--
Steve
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Daedalus
perleman

the last drop is important!!! It may well be the drop that gets you to the next petrol pump. One of my mates made (well not a habit of, but an astonishing timing of) just getting to a petrol station when his Norton Commando Fastback (3 gallon tank approx)ran out of petrol, a fine art. I have been with him on 2 occasions when he ran out just as he was turning into the station. Another one of my mates recalls the time in Wales when he ran out just at the top a hill and coasted for over a mile to role into the forecourt of the garage and just had enough momentum to role to the pump! The expression "more luck than a pox doctors clark" comes to mind.

You just keep on getting the last drop out and its better in the tank than on your Gucci shoes, or in my case Scruffs steel toe caps.

Bill
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - L'escargot
the last drop is important!!! It may well be the drop
that gets you to the next petrol pump.

I did a little experiment and managed to get 100 drops on a 5 ml teaspoon. (How sad am I?) So .... 1 drop = 0.05 ml. At 20 mpg this equates to about 35 cm. So .... if you let it drop on the ground, you might be 35 cm short of the pump. Even in my Guccis I could push my car the last 35 cm!
--
L\'escargot.
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Civic8
thats if the drops havent evaporated first;)
--
Steve
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Daedalus
The point is really that you don't want the petrol on your car (or your Guccis) you want it in the tank, you have paid for it.

However in my experience there is more than one drop missed.

I fill up once a week and will fill up for say (75-17) years. I will save more than one drop, more like 10-20 on a controlled fill over a hurried fuel stop. So on your maths and my avg 15 drops; that is 35cm X 52weeks X (75-17)=58yrs X 15 drops is 1583400 cms or 15,834 meters or 15.834 km. If it's just one drop its still a Km. More than enough to just roll up to the pump a couple of times in a life time.

Save the drops!!!!

;-)

Bill
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - bell boy
just send james to fill the old roller up that what i one does,one cant spend ones life at the pumps and getting caught in idle chit chat :{) :)
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Xileno {P}
Isn't it better to refuel the car when the weather's cold? Don't you get a bit more fuel for your money? Someone's going to tell me I am speaking nonsense again but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Stuartli
>>Isn't it better to refuel the car when the weather's cold?>>

Probably thinking of liquids expanding when hot.

However, for most of the year it's unlikely to be cold enough to make very much difference and, if it is that cold, you probably won't want to be out driving...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How to avoid spilling petrol on your car - Clanger
I did a little experiment and managed to get 100 drops
on a 5 ml teaspoon.

Petrol (outside, I hope) or water? I hardly need to remind such a knowledgeable lot as inhabit the backroom that the surface tension for water and petrol is different. I think you would get fewer drops of petrol on your teaspoon than water.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land