BMW 316 - starting problem - charlesworth82
Hi all - back again.

I recently bought an 'N' reg BMW 316 - 1.6 Saloon. The car runs fine but sometimes has a problem starting. When i turn the key the car just has a whirring noise and doesnt start the engine. I then turn the ey back and try again until it starts - so its happening quite a bit.

I'm a novice when it comes to all this and just wondered what everyone thought it could be. The car wasnt moved for about a month so maybe battery? Spark Plug? any help appreciated.

Thanks
BMW 316 - starting problem - jc
Sounds like starter motor not engaging;is it an inertia starter or pre-engaged?.On either,remove and clean the engagement mechanism.
hi - really sorry but i'm a complete novice with cars. I dont know what type it is. Where is the engagment mecahnism located? Will this cost much at a garage to do - or is it easy enough for a novice to do?
BMW 316 - starting problem - jc
If you're that much of a novice ,I would suggest a chat with your local auto-electrician.
BMW 316 - starting problem - storme
sounds like a dodgy starter motor......

a new one is 3 allens bolts and removal of the undershield....

or about £150 at halfords or similiar
--
www.storme.co.uk
hi - if i dont get this sorted now how long do you think it will take to be totally out of order? what other affects could this have on other parts.

Thanks