Penalties in AUS - help - henry k
My daughter tells me she was not concentrating enough while driving and has been flashed running a red light in Perth WA.
She has a UK and a WA licence.
She has been working there for 7 months and IRC needed to get a WA licence after a 3 month grace period on her UK licence
1. Should she present her UK licence and would they let her off?
2. Should she present her WA licence?
3. She is happy to pay the fine but how much is the fine?
4. I said that if she is found guilty she should advise the insurance company
5. Can they endorse a UK licence?

Any advice on the situatiom would be most useful.
Thanks
Penalties in AUS - help - Altea Ego
1/ she could try, but i suspect even a small amount of digging by the WA troopers will reveal her real license and she could end up under a aussie version of "perverting the course of justice" or a 600A$ fine for not having a license (uk one being invalid after three months)

2/ I would

3/ dunno

4/ this is where the troopers would catch her out on the license scam

5/ No.

good ref site

www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/InfoAboutLaw/aspx/default.a...l
Penalties in AUS - help - Bromptonaut
Honesty is the best policy.
Penalties in AUS - help - Truckosaurus
I'd expect the penalty for pretending not to have an Australian licence would be very severe - proper criminal charges etc.

I think she'll just have to bite the bullet and cough up the fine, but be warned, a friend of mine is also a Brit working down there, and he got caught speeding, which they are very hot on, for doing 130kmh in a 110 zone the fine was approx £400.
Penalties in AUS - help - cheddar
My dad got a speeding ticket through via the hire car company relating to an incident in the Sydney area, he paid a fine though no points were applied IIRC.
Thanks everyone for the usual promt advice and help.
I have been Googling as daughter is on night shift.

WA police site
tinyurl.com/dkx67

The severity of the fine largely depends on the nature of the offence. However, as a general guideline:

Penalty for offence captured by a red light camera = $150 plus three demerit points.

Penalty for offence captured by speed camera:

Exceeding the speed limit by more than 1km/h but not more than 9km/h = $ 50 nil demerit points.
Exceeding the speed limit by more than 9km/h but not more than 19km/h = $100 plus one demerit point.
Exceeding the speed limit by more than 19km/h but not more than 29km/h = $150 plus three demerit points.
Exceeding the speed limit by more than 29km/h but not more than 40km/h = $250 plus four demerit points.
Exceeding the speed limit by more than 40km/h = $350 plus six demerit points.

I like the concept of graduated fines for speeding offences in WA.
I guess other states have different penalties

Penalties in AUS - help - Stargazer {P}
I like the concept of graduated fines for speeding offences in
WA.
I guess other states have different penalties

Henry K,

Yes, rules can very between states but penalty points are transferable across states!

BTW, watch out on public holidays....the road toll is so bad that double demerit points are awarded for any traffic infringement on those days.

Stargazer
Yes, rules can very between states but penalty points are transferable across states!

>>
Thanks I will pass that on.
BTW, watch out on public holidays....the road toll is so bad

that double demerit points are awarded for any traffic infringement on those days.

We were there on a public holiday and saw the lampost posters stating double demerit points.
Penalties in AUS - help - expat
I am in WA. The police are pretty reasonable if you do the right thing by them. If you try to get smart then you will get in real problems. Much the same as it would be in the UK. Her best bet is to go down the local cop shop and explain the whole thing being totally honest. She will get fined of course and also get demerit points on the WA licence but when you think about it she got off lightly. For some people jumping a red light has the death penalty.
Her best bet is to go down the local cop shop and explain the whole thing being totally honest.
She will get fined of course and also get demerit points on the WA licence but when you think about it she got off lightly.

>>
Thanks expat for local info.
She has no problem paying the fine & points.
She was concerned about her UK licence plus of course was very very upset at her loss of concentration. She admits her mind was elsewhere. It has been a big wake up call.