Alfa 166 3.0 Auto - AlanB
I have a 1999 3.0litre Alfa 166 auto. When in non tiptronic mode it develops a real shake at around 60kmh in top gear. Alfa have replaced the transmission and the management computer chips, but to no avail its like driving on square wheels. The dealer advises me that it appears that the manual lock up on the torque converter cuts in in fourth at too low a speed and that this is the cause of the problem. It does not seem to be as pronounced a problem on other 166's that are around, however there are not so many 166's in Australia so it is hard to tell whether this is a design fault or is isolated to my car.
It can be overcome by driving it around in tiptronic mode which keeps the car in third to well above 60kms per hour, however it tends to burn fuel and keeps the speed cameras happy.

Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Alan Boys
Perth
Western Australia
Re: Alfa 166 3.0 Auto - Honest John
Alan has combined his original e-mail question to me with my answer to him. Was my explanation correct: that the car is not designed to run in top at below 60kph? (Glass's Guide Checkbook gives conflicting information that the Alfa Sportronic Boxes on the 166 2.5 and 3.0 are either 4 speed or a 5 speed.)

HJ
Re: Alfa 166 3.0 Auto - AlanB
HJ,

The gearbox is a four speed (only 166 3.0 litre autos are sold in Australia..no manuals or 2.5l). Idle rpm is around 800rpm, change from 3rd to 4th is at around 55km per hour at revs of around 1400 rpm and is doing aroud 1500 rpm at 60 kmph.

trust that this is useful info.

AlanB