Unusual traffic jams - PW
Got stuck in a bizarre jam last night. Crossing the railway bridge near our house (one lane controlled by traffic lights) the 2 cars in front of me were driving very very slowly.

At first I thought the lead car was having a conversation with the girl on the pavement- but then spotted that in front of him were a family of swans.

Common sense also seemed to prevail as a van came up from the other side, saw what was going on so reversed and stopped traffic going through.

Certainly the funniest jam I've ever been in!
Unusual traffic jams - AngryJonny
I spent a quarter of an hour or so in the middle of Houston waiting for a goods train that must have been a mile long crawl over a X-ing at roughly walking pace. It was accellerating. By the time the last carriage passed it must have been doing 5mph. Not all that unusual for Texas, probably, but unusual to me.
Unusual traffic jams - Altea Ego
It was not unusual for a pair of horses to escape onto the M11.

I got stuck behind a car transporter that shed its entire contents of Jaguars all over the A34 a few years back.
Unusual traffic jams - cheddar
I saw the aftermath of a transporter that shed a load of Audi's on the M40 a few years ago, the road was not blocked because they had landed on the hard shoulder and the field beyond.
Unusual traffic jams - Stuartli
>>in the middle of Houston waiting for a goods train>>

We had a similar experience in downtown Orlando - never thought a goods train and its wagons could be such an astonishing length...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Unusual traffic jams - henry k
A few years I got stuck in a bizarre traffic queue waiting for a mast to cross the road.

Where?

"At Elys Harbor on the Island of Bermuda is a tiny span known as Somerset Bridge.
Just 20 feet long, it links Somerset Island with the main island.
On each side is a masonry embankment connected by two wooden draws that allow clearance of eighteen inches for the mast of a sailboat.
Somerset Bridge is reputed to be the smallest bridge over the Atlantic and the smallest drawbridge in the world."

Well worth waiting to see. Then I roared off my hired moped with wife attached. No car hire allowed in Bermuda for normal tourists.
Unusual traffic jams - Armitage Shanks {p}
The smallest bridge 'Over the Atlantic' is claimed to be somewhere in the Western Isles. I have seen a picture of it and it is very small, one way traffic or even a footbridge. Info at

www.innish.com/seilb.html