Advertising a car and pricing it - matstro
I had a big argument with someone at work today about pricing cars for sale in private ads. I've always worked on the basis that you ought to think of the very lowest price your willing to take and advertise it at that then either knock nothing off or at the most a measly £50 if that. The other guys argument was people like to think they have a bargain so price it high, give the buyer a big reduction and he walks away thinking he's got one over on the seller.

I think private buyers buy on price first and foremost, scanning the ads for the cheapest then contnuing from there - I know I do! Anything that looks overpriced I tend to ignore.

Who's right?
Advertising a car and pricing it - MuttleyMcLad
I think you are definatley! When im looking at private cars for sale, you always look at the lowest priced ones as they are more likley to take the asking price, and why go through all the bother of haggling when you can just pay the price advertised and drive away!
Advertising a car and pricing it - blue_haddock
Ah but if you price it cheaply a lot of people will think that there is a problem with the car and so look elsewhere
Advertising a car and pricing it - matstro
ahh yes that was what someone at work chipped in with but wouldn't you check it out just in case?
Advertising a car and pricing it - blue_haddock
I would but lots of other people wouldn't - to most people work equals money and if your going to have to pay to get work done you may as well buy the more expensive car that doesn't need work.

Also if you price high you can always come down but one you've advertised a low price you can't put it up again.