Showroom4cars Top Ten - Roger Jones
Seeing HJ's report on the Showroom4cars Top Ten and the prominence of BMW therein reminds me that the only BMW I have ever owned was a Dinky toy, given to me by a girlfriend in the late 1960s. At that time, I reckoned BMW were getting it dead right with lean, elegant, well engineered machines -- the 2002 par excellence.

Labouring under the spirit-numbing restrictions of company car policies for the subsequent 25 years kept BMWs out of reach -- VWs, Volvos, Fords, yes, but don't even think of dreaming about a BMW. But all the time their image was changing in my mind and was crystallized in the yuppie 1980s, by which time I wanted nothing to do with them -- me, the enthusiast for minority pursuits and causes, yuppie I was not (both age and money disqualified me).

The image has only been reinforced subsequently and, although I cannot deny the virtues of the range, as a current M-B and Golf owner I wouldn't dream of buying one now. Just goes to show how irrational the consumer can be, I guess.
Re: Showroom4cars Top Ten - Signus
I spoke to someone over new year who has taken out a seven-year loan to buy a six year old M3. The factors that swung these years of penury were
a) The alloy wheels, which "make a car for me"
b) The extra low ride height
c) The number plate - 'Didn't tell the salesman, but when I found out the two-grand M3 number plate was thrown in, I made up my mind'.

Is modern life so boring for some people there is nothing more to aspire to than owning a fancy BMW - and for cosmetic reasons at that?
Re: Showroom4cars Top Ten - Simon Saxton

I echo your sentiments Roger, never owned one, never wanted one until I saw the M3 Coupe(Breadvan) which was so reminiscent of my old,much lamented,
Scimitar SE5A.

regards
Simon
Re: Showroom4cars Top Ten - G
The M3 coupe is tasty - sort of a thinking man's TVR. It's on my list now they're 20-25k for a nice one.
Re: Showroom4cars Top Ten - derek
I always thought that they were expensive for what they were and I could never equate the 'residual value' arguments either. My interest is in overall running costs during the car's life. I've never fancied their bikes, either.
Re: Showroom4cars Top Ten - Peter Probert
Drove and was tempted by the 2002Ti 30 years ago. Bought and stuck to Mercs. The resale value of 5+ year old BMWs was half that of the equivalent Merc in Germany.

The Yuppie's 3 Series in UK have all passed to the wrong way round baseball hat brigade. Fit a loud stereo, big wing, darken windows, then open them and play heavy base music to attract attention. I am THE man.

I keep wondering if I should get a 330D though.
Re: Showroom4cars Top Ten - Nipsy
I'm like Roger - when I could not afford one I thought they were great but as time passed and you saw who was driving them my interest wained - even for the M3. Instead I bought a Fiat Coupe Turbo 4 years ago wich I have only just sadly soldand now have a Merc and VW - is that as I grow older or more sensible.