Accident Waiting to Happen ? - steveb
Just seen this on the news about a woman driving with seven teenagers. Three killed plus the driver of the car she hit head on.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4590713.stm

Why can't people understand that there is a good reason for the number of seats/seatbelts in a car ?

Tragic for all those caught up in this - however can't help thinking she should be prosecuted to the limit of the law.

Steve
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - mfarrow
Why can't people understand that there is a good reason for
the number of seats/seatbelts in a car ?

Because it'll never happen to them.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - NowWheels
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - Big Bad Dave
I haven?t seen any details about this crash but 4 dead and 3 critically injured in one accident is horrific. I imagine there were several SUVs involved.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - PoloGirl
I haven?t seen any details about this crash but 4 dead
and 3 critically injured in one accident is horrific. I imagine
there were several SUVs involved.

Er..no. A Citroen Xsara (with, somehow, 7 boys plus driver) collided with a Honda. Then some other people drove in the back and a motorbike spilt itself avoiding the accident.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to complain about the amount of time the road was shut for. If it means that woman never gets to drive again, the road can be shut forever as far as I'm concerned.

Accident Waiting to Happen ? - Dwight Van Driver
Your speculating on blame PG - "never gets to drive again" =lets leave that to the investigation.

The wise words of the father of legal matters on this site P.U. after similar accidents is to kill this speculation less it get out of hand and until ALL the true facts emerge.

Tragic, absolutely tragic.

DVD
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - PoloGirl
I'm not speculating on blame, DVD, I'm saying that anyone who crams 7 boys into 4 seats shouldn't be allowed to drive, regardless of whether or not they are involved in a collision.

Accident Waiting to Happen ? - Truckersunite
Sorry DVD, but I have to agree with PG, this women was at fault for having that many children in the car in the first place, regardless of whos fault the accident was. 7 kids and an adult in a car that only has 5 seatbelts would mean at least 3 were not belted in, that is manslaughter in my eyes, if not murder, what must the parents of those poor children be going through, my thoughts go out to them. I wonder if they even knew how they were being transported? People like her should be put away for a long time....a very long time.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - spinner
What a judgemental lot!

Irresponsible driving goes on all the time - with and without seatbelts. It's a tragic accident fer gawds sake, and I'm sure the driver will be chastened by her actions, not least after spending a considerable amount of time in hospital as a result.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - Robin Reliant
Well said, Spinner.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - steveb
One definition of accident - 'anything that happens by chance without an apparent cause'.

Make up your own mind however.

Steve
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - spinner
This isn't a lesson in semantics.
There could be several factors: loss of control of the car, no central barrier separating the carriageways, a car coming in the opposite direction and of course - no seatbelts protecting several of the occupants.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - livefortheday
This tragic accident has only just happened. I think it is a poor show to pre-judge and place blame until the full Police investigcation has been completed.

On the face of it yes it is black and white and she should not have had all those kids in the car, but we simply do not know. What if the kids hads forced themselves into the car and she was driving under duress? What if she had spotted them walking down the hard shoulder and thought it was safer to pick them up and drop them at a safer point on the road network? I know this is unlikely, but surely it is better to wait for the FACTS to come out?

As for your dig about "personal choice", I think it is contemptuous. There is a massive difference between going about your business legally and acting unlawfully.
Accident Waiting to Happen ? - Dynamic Dave
This tragic accident has only just happened. I think it is
a poor show to pre-judge and place blame until the full
Police investigcation has been completed.

Quite. And on that note, thread locked.

DD.