Guide for Guides - meditek
HJ doesn't seem to have a 'guide for guides'.

I use Parkers because it seems more realistic than some and I'm darned if I'm paying for Glass. Now when it comes to dealer confrontation they hide behind Glass with a smug expression. I hide behind Parkers with a smug expression. I need to know :-

a)a factor to multiply Parkers prices by to get Glass?

b)why silly guides like What car are so way off?

In addition, I see some quite incredible overpricing (Rav4, Honda CR-V. Are the public really stupid enough to pay these prices? I said to dealer 'OK, you've overpriced it by 1K so I want 1K more for mine.' No sign I made an impression! Yet the car has been sitting there for 3 months!

We punters are asked to dance to the tune of Glass. What do we need to make the dealers jump?
Guide for Guides - blue_haddock
If you speak nicely to someone in the trade they may be able to slip you a couple of month old copy of glass's - will still be more accurate than parkers.

Can't really give a definate sum to work out the difference, sometimes it's a few hundred other times it can be thousands. Parkers is especially off the ball on older cars where you need a copy of CAP black.

As for overpricing of Rav4's yes the public are stupid enough to pay dealer prices for both new and used but i'm doing my bit to right the wrongs so to speak! Today i've dealt with a woman who was looking at paying over £17k for a 6 month old Rav4, i've signed her up for a new one to the same spec for about £500 less than a used one.
Guide for Guides - Bill Payer
Yet when I p/x'd wifey's car 2 dealers said it was 'over-booked'. It was in Glass's for around £3500 but their valuation was around £3000. I guess it is only a guide and the dealers have to use their skill and judgement :-)
TBH, I thought £3500 was high - it was a 5 yr old Clio 1.6RXE. Very nice car, but I thought it would be tough to sell against much newer basic models.
Guide for Guides - meditek
Thanks for the input guys.

It would seem from the comments that Guides are simply guides and a car is worth only the best you can get for it. In effect, Glass is the only one that's 'sometimes' maybe 'usually' worth the paper it's written on! This rather makes a nonsense of the others.

I'd be interested in the reaction of the guy selling the used RAV4 when told about the new one.

Thanks
Guide for Guides - blue_haddock
I'd be interested in the reaction of the guy selling the
used RAV4 when told about the new one.

I've no idea about the seller of the Rav4 but the customer is happy as larry that she has got a brand new car cheaper than a 6 month old ex-demo car.