Community cars - Ian Cook
A bit disturbing, this. A neighbour of mine was burgled, recently, and another was a "near miss" - a suspicious person was seen sitting in and old Ford Sierra, using a mobile phone. She blew the horn and drove off when someone showed an interest in her.

The police arrived to investigate, and now it's all gone quiet. The police Soco who arrived to investigate the successful burglary told my neighbour that the suspect Sierra could have been a "community car". These are, apparently, low value cars that are left parked for anyone to use (keys under the seat, I suppose) - but they might be used for criminal purposes. I guess this must be in anonynous areas of cities etc.

They won't be taxed, of course, and probably not traceable to an "owner" - other than the last registered keeper (who sold it in a pub and forgot to send off the V5).

I wonder how widespread this sort of thing is. I'd never heard of it, but the police have. Any boys in blue in the back room care to comment?

Look after your prezzies!

Ian
Re: Community cars - David W
Ian,

Common I understand. A while ago we had a three month old £1500 trailer stolen from the yard by a certain section of the community.

We/Police knew who had taken it but absolutely no proof. What interested the Police was me being able to give details of at least three cars these chaps were using when they sussed out places to do over.

Turns out the extended group of people had perhaps a dozen cars, none correctly registered, and they just took which suited them the best.

As you say "I borowed it from a bloke I know in the pub but can't think of his name".

Made it very hard for the Police to track them as these vehicles might be Bedford based in the morning, operating in Peterborough during the afternoon and Northampton at night.

David
Re: Community cars - Dave
David W wrote:

A while ago we had a three month old
> £1500 trailer stolen from the yard by a certain section of
> the community.

Ahh! The Romany Bretheren! [1]

Stow fair suffers a crimewave every year at the hands of these boys. No way to trace them...

[1] I am allowed to be predudiced against this group because family legend suggests I have a bit of Romany blood in me myself! The rule that allows Woody Allen to have a go at Jews means I can go the Gyps!! [2]
[2] Anybody else saying the same thing would, obviously, be a bigot.
Re: Community cars - Peter
Bristol hs this problem and it is not unsual to see an old banger being driven up the M32 with a child at the controls. The Fire Brigade are plagued by callouts as these old cars are burnt as a means of disposal.
Re: Community cars - Richard Hall
There was an item on the local TV news last night about children buying old cars at Colchester Motor Auctions. They pay as little as £5 for them, drive them around for an evening, and set fire to them when they've finished. Presumably it's easier to steal a fiver (out of your Mum's purse) than a car, and much lower risk. Still, it keeps them out of the pub....
Re: Community cars - alvin booth
Dave,
These are not Romanies but simply packs of thieves who roam the country paying no taxes or dues which the rest of us have to.
They don't hesitate however to use the free services of the NHS or any other benefit they need.
In my town when they camp on the edges the thieving rate goes up as well as the rubbish they leave behind when they finally move on.
Is this bigotry???? if so I stand convicted.
Billy Bigot.
Re: Community cars - Dave
alvin booth wrote:
>
> Dave,
> These are not Romanies but simply packs of thieves who roam
> the country paying no taxes or dues which the rest of us have
> to.

Same thing if you ask me! Mobile crimewave with no interest from the police. (Actually I have some sympathy with the Rozzers here - how to you control people with no address?)

> Is this bigotry???? if so I stand convicted.

I think you better re-read what I said above with .
Re: Community cars - Honest John
The lads tried to develop the idea of pub cars in rural Northumberland, but not enough of them played ball and the pubs were forced into closure anyway.

HJ