Fines - ability to pay - PhilW
How do Backroomers feel about this new Government proposal that fines will be based on "ability to pay". I read that if, say, you are reasonably off you will receive a higher fine for your speeding/parking offence than someone who is "poorer".
Does it work the other way round. If you live in a big mansion in the country not served by buses, are you less likely to be banned on totting up procedure than someone who lives on a good bus route? If you have a bike will you receive a longer ban? If you are a single chap with no dependants are you more likely to be imprisoned for DD than someone who has dependants? Will those who say "I am vastly overdrawn, have a huge mortgage and my credit cards are up to the limit because I have just had a long holiday in the Caribbean get off free from parking fines? Or will it be as at present, that the middle classes pay up whereas the low-life, uninsured/untaxed just ignore parking/speeding fines?
I hope my question is phrased in such a neutral way that there is no hint of bias!
Fines - ability to pay - john deacon
well the hard working "working class" and the decent rich folk who are above most peoples view of the "middle class" get hammered too

its the lazy long term benefit culture that pervades large parts of out society that have it easiest, there really are few penalties that mean much ever doshed out to the poor darlings

the vastly overdrawn etc i can see your point, and agree to a large extent

i also feel sorry for people who earn large chunks in small periods, and spend long periods out of work in between, or people earning lots who have to pay for family medical treatment next year or whatever

the ability to pay nonsense will again only affect the decent hard working (or decent idle rich) peopulation, the rest will ignore it and itll just become another one of the high percentage of fines never paid if ever imposed

etc

we need to find penalties that actually mean something when u are on minimum income or benefit, fines currently arnt applied and/or dont work
Fines - ability to pay - Badger
There was such a system in place until a few years ago -- the present government repealed it. Now they want to restore it, and the only question is why?

The answer's simple-- it's another thinly disguised stealth tax, rendered all the more indefensible by the fact that a three-tier system of allowing for individual circumstances exists in the courts already. Judges and magistrates have ample powers in this direction.

Why not apply the same principle to prison sentences? Since a spell in jail will hit a professional man harder than an unemployed scrote, let the former have a lesser sentence than the latter. Can't have it both ways, Tony.
Fines - ability to pay - NowWheels
There was such a system in place until a few years ago -- the present government repealed it.

Actually, the income-based fine system was introduced in the early 90s by the then Conservative govt, who did a u-turn on it themselves within a year or two of implementation.
Perish the thought, Phil. A model of objectivity.
Fines - ability to pay - Civic8
>>I hope my question is phrased in such a neutral way that there is no hint of bias!

Someone is bound to say it is..My personal point.Is If someone gets a fine. they deserve it..No ifs or buts..regardless of being on benefit. close to local transport or what..A fine is a fine..No getting away with it
--
Steve
if only
sadly courts mostly dont even bother giving fines to the large swathes of people on benefit or low income
and if they do they dont bother to pay and nothing happens
>>A fine is a fine..No getting away with it

True, but some fines will be more equal than others.
i agree its just another stealth tax

current govt seems to get away with it
Fines - ability to pay - machika
Remember Jenson Button, he was fined a few hundred pounds for speeding in France a little while ago. He was doing around 140 mph I think. What does a fine of a few hundred pounds mean to someone earning millions of pounds a year; absolutely nothing, that is what it means.

There was a news report today of a racing motorcyclist who has just been fined £1000 and banned for 60 days for speeding on the A46 - just 130 mph this time. He is a world superbikes competitor, so he won't be short of a few bob and I suspect his weekly income is in excess of £1000.

Over thirty years ago, when I was a student, I was involved in a collision at a roundabout, for which I admitted fault. It was a stupid admission, as I was sure he had only sidelights on and the street lighting wasn't great in those days. It was late at night, I was tired and I just didn't see him. Anyway, I was done for driving without due care and attention (no injuries were sustained) and fined £25. Think what £25 equates to nowadays. It was during the industrial attachment peroid of my sandwich course and I was earning £12 per week at the time.

Not every person on a low income is a waster and I was working long hours at the time, for not much money. Seemingly modest fines in these circumstances make a big hole in a person's pocket.
Fines - ability to pay - Aprilia
I have seen it work the other way.

Some years ago I was a witness to an accident in which the director of a small software company had overtaken a line of traffic (at way way over the speed limit) on an uphill blind bend and driven his BMW head on into a Puegeot. A nine year old girl subsequnetly died as a result of this appalling piece of driving.

The guy was a very unpleasant piece of work who showed little remorse. At the court case (I was there) his legal rep pulled out all the usual stuff about him employing people and people potentially losing jobs; him being a professional man of good standing in the community etc etc. Net result was a short ban and a few hundred pound fine. He left court grinning like a Cheshire cat.

On balance it is better to be well off and run the risk of slightly higher fines....
Fines - ability to pay - martint123
Remember the guy from Nokia??

A director of the Finnish telecommunications giant, Nokia, has received what is believed to be the most expensive speeding ticket ever. Caught breaking the speed limit on his Harley Davidson motorbike in the capital, Helsinki, in October last year. Police say he was driving at 75 km/h (47 mph) in a 50km/h (31 mph) zone.

Mr Vanjoki had to pay a fine equal to 14 days of his income in 1999, which was about 14 million euros ($12.5 million).

Fines - ability to pay - cockle {P}
While I would like to wait until I've seen more detail of the proposal before forming a hard opinion, I don't see the problem of people being punished on ability to pay. As I understand it that already exists to an extent in that if you have less then you currently get a 'discount' off the tariff.
I realise that there are many sides to the argument but just to keep it motoring, I used to play cricket with a chap who earned a pretty fair wedge as 'something in the city'. Now he had a rather nice Maserati that he used around town at the weekend and I don't think I ever saw him park it legally, if he was in a shop or restaurant the car would be on the double yellows right outside the door. I once asked him whether he got many tickets, 'Oh, probably a couple a week', 'So why don't you park legally and save yourself the fines?', 'Really can't be bothered, I spend more than that on a bottle of wine at lunch'.
Now to him £30 was next to nothing but to a chap on average wage it was enough to make him think twice, to have the same effect on the richer guy the fine would probably have to have been in the region of £300.
Basically it comes to the question are we using fines as a punishment, whereby the pain should be felt equally, or are fines to work as a deterrent for which they need to strike an element of fear of apprehension, not seen as a glorified parking charge.
Cockle
once saw a young copper ask the bouncers at an establishment if they knew who the driver of the aston parked outside on the double yellows was, they said yes, copper demanded they go get him and ask him to move it, 30 seconds later the duke of westminster arrived and applogised to the copper and drove the car presumably to a car park somewhere

in oxford

was funny to me anyway, dont think the young copper knew he was talking to the richest man in the country at the time

Reminds me of a relative of mine.

He had a very good job and used to drive a Jag which he parked where he liked and just paid the fine.

Unfortunately things went a bit wrong in life for him and now he's a delivery driver, delivering drugs to chemists shops. Has to be *very* careful where he parks now...
Fines - ability to pay - BrianW
Last week a delivery driver stopped to hand a package into our office in Camden.
By the time he'd rung the bell there were two parking attendants and a ticket.
That ticket probably equates to a day's wages at least, and for stopping for 45 seconds to do his job.
He'd have been better off on the dole that day.

The congestion charge and Camden's parking people are starting to put people off delivering to our premises. How are we supposed to run a business?
Fines - ability to pay - teabelly
The congestion charge and Camden's parking people are starting to put
people off delivering to our premises. How are we supposed to
run a business?

Move somewhere else and make sure the local council knows why you have taken your rates & employment elsewhere? If more businesses vote with their feet and move away from places that make life difficult then things will change. Or am i naive optimist?!
teabelly
"Or am I naive optimist?"

The answer to that one is "Yes".
Fines - ability to pay - Brad
A long time ago I was watching a parking warden writing a ticket for a jag parked on a double yellow just outside M&S in our small northern town. A well dressed woman came out of the store loaded with bags and said to the parking attendant "Is there a problem?" and suggested he threw awaythe ticket. Fortunately he insisted on giving it. She clearly could afford the measly fine. So the answer is yes - get the rich pink fully dice for as much as you can. Money shouldn't be able to buy relative immunity.
Fines - ability to pay - Kevin

Does this extrapolate into hanging sentences for the politicians and judiciary who are supposed to set an example?

If so, I'm all for it.

Kevin...
dont forget civil servants and local govt officers
Fines - ability to pay - tyro
In reply to original post, I think the idea is fair enough in principle. A penalty needs to have a deterent effect.

However, with most driving offenses, the penalty with the deterent effect for well-off motorists is not the fine, but the penalty points, and the threat of a fine. A larger fine might have some slight deterent effect, depending on how large it was.

The other side of the coin is that the fine should not be so small for the not-so-well-off motorists (e.g. some teenagers) that it would have no deterent effect at all. I understand that this was the issue which led to widescale driving without insurance.

However, with most driving offenses, the penalty with the deterent effect
for well-off motorists is not the fine, but the penalty points,
and the threat of a fine. A larger fine might
have some slight deterent effect, depending on how large it was.

How is the threat of a fine a deterrent for someone who is wealthy, if it is a derisory amount of money in relation to their wealth? In addition, parking offences carry no points at all and, as has been said in previous posts, parking fines are often ignored by wealthy people,

Add this to the fact that very wealthy people can afford the best legal brains to defend them, in the case of serious offences, like dangerous driving charges. There have been many accusations, in this forum, that the courts are powerless to do anything about serial offenders who are guilty of driving without insurance, etc. How many times, I wonder, has wealth resulted in offenders receiving token fines or sentences, or, in some cases, no punishment at all?
Fines - ability to pay - Ex-Moderator
Which of the following is the purpose of the fine;

1) deterrent
2) punishment
3) revenue
4) indicative of level of guilt

Let us assume that I have £1 and you have £10m. You will be fined more for speeding then I will be fined for driving drunk as a skunk, stoned, and whilst already banned from a previous driving while off my trolley. Which would be, presumably, contrary to the seriousness of offence and level of guilt.

Are you comfortable with that ?
Let us assume that I have £1 and you have £10m.
You will be fined more for speeding then I will be
fined for driving drunk as a skunk, stoned, and whilst already
banned from a previous driving while off my trolley. Which would
be, presumably, contrary to the seriousness of offence and level of
guilt.
Are you comfortable with that ?

>>

It is obvious that something other than a fine is due in cases like that. We are dealing here with cases where fines are applicable (so I believe).

The case that I referred to earlier, about the racing motorcyclist, illustrates quite clearly the lack of impact the fine is likely to have on someone like him, even with a fine of £1000. This wasn't a case of someone exceeding the speed limit by a marginal amount, he was travelling at 130 mph, so done quite deliberately.

He pleaded that he wouldn't be able to meet his business obligations if he was banned for a lengthy period. I don't know why, as I assume he wouldn't have been banned from racing. Driving bans don't stop people from travelling, just driving. He was lucky to get away with just a 60 day ban, in my opinion. I would imagine he was able to call on good legal representation to plead his case.
>>as I assume he wouldn't have been banned from racing

Actually I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the two things were connected. Or maybe that was rally drivers.
>>as I assume he wouldn't have been banned from racing
Actually I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the two
things were connected. Or maybe that was rally drivers.

Yes, it is obvious really, if the rally drivers have to drive on public roads, which they often do. However, I doubt it applies to offroad racing circuits, or else how would youngsters involved in kart racing ever be allowed to compete, where they are not old enough to have a licence to drive on public roads.

Fines - ability to pay - tyro
whoops!

What I meant to write was "the deterent (i.e. the real deterent) for well-off motorists is not the fine, but the penalty points, and the threat of a BAN."

Sorry about that.

< >

Ha! Now there's an idea for a deterent that might have an impact on the plutocrats who park anywhere they like! Or at least those without very, very good lawyers :-)
"There have been many accusations, in this forum, that the courts are powerless to do anything about serial offenders who are guilty of driving without insurance, etc."

IIRC, most of these cases have been scroats who have no assets and no income and change address as soon as a summons is received.

I can live with someone paying "only" £60 or whatever for overstaying their time on a meter by five minutes or straying into a bus lane (although my personal opinion is that these rates are too high for something which does not cause a danger), but I cannot countenance unlicenced, uninsured drivers in unregistered cars who race around with no worries of being caught, identified or penalised.
but I cannot countenance unlicenced, uninsured drivers in unregistered cars
who race around with no worries of being caught, identified or
penalised.

>>

As I said above, something other than a fine needs to be meted out in cases like that. I am quite comfortable with that.
Fines - ability to pay - David Horn
The thing is - if someone is going to have difficulty affording a fine, it seems to me they'll also have difficulty paying for insurance / road tax / MOT etc.

If you can't afford to run a car (and that includes possible fines) then you shouldn't be driving.
I think the debate here is whether wealthy people should be fined more in accordance with what they are able to pay, not that the low paid should be fined more than they can afford to pay.

When I was fined what was effectively two weeks wages, some 33 years ago, I could not have got to my workplace without a car. Not much choice then really.
the penalties for those on beneits are low but similar really need looking at

they dont get fined or if they do its 2 p a week
they get community chance i mean service and dont bother to turn up
they get summons and dont bother to turn up
they have to be really bad to lock em up and deprive their precious babys someone to look after em

where as for a working man with rent/mortgage/car to pay for legit etc a fine can be a big dent

for some of tonys underclass there really are no deterants at all
Fines - ability to pay - patently
There is a valid issue that for the genuinely rich, a fine that is crippling to a poor offender is peanuts and no deterrent.

Do not be fooled that this is any part of HMG's thinking, however. They detest the well-off and want to remove as much cash as they can.

My concern is that HMG seem to have a very optimistic view of "income", flowing from the fact that they are all on a salary and have no experience of life as a self-employed businessman. They seem to think that issuing an invoice automatically means that you are better off by that amount, instantly. This means that the taxman's view of my income is so grossly inflated that the tax I will have paid for this 12 month period, excluding VAT and motoring taxes, amounts to about 65% of my actual cash income*. Justify that if you can. And, yes, it is correctly calculated.

Thus, while there is some justice in variable fines, I have no faith whatsoever that HMG could competently implement a sensible and fair system.
"means tested" fines will be nothing to do with some people paying less and all to do with some people paying more. And that is more revenue for the government, which is the primary motivator.
My concern is that HMG seem to have a very optimistic
view of "income", flowing from the fact that they are all
on a salary and have no experience of life as a
self-employed businessman. They seem to think that issuing an invoice
automatically means that you are better off by that amount, instantly.
This means that the taxman's view of my income is
so grossly inflated that the tax I will have paid for
this 12 month period, excluding VAT and motoring taxes, amounts to
about 65% of my actual cash income*. Justify that if
you can. And, yes, it is correctly calculated.

Think you need to hire a good accountant. I operate as a limited company and did the accounts three weeks ago. I'm not paying anything like that percentage of tax.
I believe that the point being made was not the tax rate, but taxable profit compared the cashflow.
Profits generated from invoices issued to the last day of the accounting year are included in the assessment, but the money may not come in until months later.
However the first instalment of tax is payable before the year end and the second may have to be paid before the cash from the last invoices issued has been received.
Fines - ability to pay - Adam {P}
>>Let us assume that I have £1 and you have £10m. You will be fined more for speeding then I will be fined for driving drunk as a skunk, stoned, and whilst already banned from a previous driving while off my trolley. Which would be, presumably, contrary to the seriousness of offence and level of guilt.

Are you comfortable with that ?<<

Well Mark's on form today I must say. I think this could go a little too far. Let's say, hypothetical of course, Mark's loaded ;-) and I'm a hobo on the street... ok then - someone in a dead end job. Now lets say I go and shoot DD (sorry Dave - making it realistic) Let's say Mark shoots Alan. (Not motoring ok but I'm highlighting the idea in general). Let us also assume Dave and Alan are on the same social standing (ahem.) Same motive, same weapon etc.

Now if I get sent down for 10 years, I'm going to find it considerably difficult to get back on my feet etc than Mark who has his millions waiting for him when he gets back. Does that mean Mark should go to prison for longer than I do? Of course it doesn't.

I'm not au fait with this new system but I presume endorsable offences falls under it. I thought the very reason we had the points (cynical view) was that some people find 60 quid in their back pocket so would htink differently with the points? A fair system in terms of equality wouldn't you say?
--
Adam
fairness has nothing to do with it

its all to do with an extra tax by the backdoor
Now if I get sent down for 10 years, I'm going
to find it considerably difficult to get back on my feet
etc than Mark who has his millions waiting for him when
he gets back. Does that mean Mark should go to prison
for longer than I do? Of course it doesn't.

Loss of freedom is hardly on the same level as a fine. The loss of freedom would hit anybody in the same way. Although anyone with a lot of money would generally be able to buy better defence lawyers, maybe get a lower sentence (looking at crime in general), and would also be likely to let out of jail sooner.

However, the debate here is about fines and fines only, not the justice system in general.
Ok so maybe I went a little too far.

>>However, the debate here is about fines and fines only<<

And the points which surely hit everyone in the same way? Although I'm sure if you had enough money you could hire a chauffeur. Should we lock up the rich to ensure they feel the full effect of the punishment?
--
Adam
Fines - ability to pay - wemyss
Well Adam...if Albert Pierrepoint was still in busines neither yourself or Mark would be concerned about when you got out....
Sadly, I'm either too young or too stupid to know who Mr. Pierrepoint is/was. I'm sure it was a tic comment though ;-)
--
Adam
he was her majestys hangman
Ah....I see. Perhaps best that neither of us get sent down then ;-)
--
Adam
Fines - ability to pay - PhilW
What would happen to fixed penalty offences under this scheme? Would every parking/speeding offence have to go before magistrates in order to decide ability to pay or would there be other methods? If the scheme does not include fixed penalty offences wouldn't that make it even more unfair in that ability to pay would only be taken into account for some offences rather than all?
IMHO fixed penalties should never haver been introduced.
With a courts based system you would be procecuting a few tens of thousand deserving cases, properly evidenced and conducted, and not ten million per year speeding/parking offences.
Fines - ability to pay - patently
I believe that the point being made was not the tax
rate, but taxable profit compared the cashflow.

Spot on. "Income" tax is anything but.

Add in stamp duty and CGT paid on a "disposal" that has not yet been paid for, and suddenly I feel like Gordon's personal banker.
Fines - ability to pay - Civic8
Ability to pay is not something they can find out about untill a fine is unpaid.Ie the person that gets a fine hasnt paid. Someone goes to house.Checks out all details..If this person cannot pay..They are usualy given a choice..Pay up or lose belongings. Bailiffs are usually fair.But dont see where this can be applied due to not knowing the person.Or where they live..But even if they did they cannot know to what extent of debt this person may be in..?.In my oppinion it wont work
--
Steve
Fines - ability to pay - The Lawman
Surprised at the number of people who are happy to accept the principle that richer people should be fined more so that the fine has the same "effect" on them. Sounds like hogwash to me.

I am not a rich man, but if I were this would certainly annoy me. I would not expect to be charged more for goods and services just because I am "rich". Why should fines be any different? One of the joys of being "rich" is the ability to insulate oneself againts life's misfortunes, by using private health, private education, good lawyers etc etc. There have always been people who think that being able to buy these things is "unfair". I suspect that it is those self same people who think it is "unfair" that a rich man is fined the same as a poor man.

Is it more dangerous for a rich man to speed than a poor man? Does the person he runs over and kills really care how much money the driver has got?

To compare fines to goods and services doesn't seem like a good analogy to me. A fine is the complete opposite to goods and services.

The person killed by the rich man would obviously not be bothered how wealthy his nemesis was, but the bereaved family might well be bothered if the wealth enabled the rich man to escape with a derisory fine or sentence. I would imagine that this has happened on more than a few occasions throughout history. It is generally accepted that most serious miscarriages of justice are meted out on the poor and disadvantaged.
well the uk is a pretty fair and balanced country as it happens, compared with most, difference between rich and poor is much more extreme most other places

most imbalance here i feel is between the political chattering guardian reading classes that dominate our council officer posts, civil service etc etc and who are able to nudge so much policy in their direction, compared with the relatively little influence given to the middle and lower ranks of the people working in commerce
Fines - ability to pay - Kevin

Let's treat this 'proposal' for what it is, another attempt to distract/appease the backbenchers. It isn't even workable. If everyone had to be means-tested before an 'appropriate' fine could be set we'd all be retired before the paperwork was completed.

If there is a genuine need to tighten the screws on people abusing the fixed-penalty system (which I doubt), then why not double the fine each time a similar offence is committed within a certain time period. A £30K parking ticket for a tenth offence should be enough to deter most folks.

Kevin...
well the uk is a pretty fair and balanced country as
it happens, compared with most, difference between rich and poor is
much more extreme most other places

I don't think so. I think that the UK, along with the USA, has one of the biggest gulfs between rich and poor of all of the 'developed' nations. Third World countries are another matter of course.
most imbalance here i feel is between the political chattering guardian
reading classes that dominate our council officer posts, civil service etc
etc and who are able to nudge so much policy in
their direction, compared with the relatively little influence given to the
middle and lower ranks of the people working in commerce

I think commerce has quite enough influence on public life in this country, thanks very much. I can't understand this constant carping about 'civil servants' - I gather the average pay in the civil service is about £18k - a sum for which many on here wouldn't get out of bed for in the morning.

I have my own limited company on which I pay corporation tax and also income tax on the salary I take. I don't object to paying these taxes. I make a good living and I regard tax as part of the price of living in a reasonably civilised country. Most of the self-employed business people I have contact with also seem to be doing well at the moment. I look at some public sector jobs (secondary school teaching, inner city social work etc) and just thank God I didn't train to do any of those sort of thanksless and soul-destroying jobs.
gulf between rich and poor in US is much bigger than in UK, I lived there I know

yea commerce has a lot of influence, but usually via the senior levels, someone at a moderate middle grade has relatively little influence on the world around them, unlike even fairly junior council officers

and its the ways the "groups of junior council officers" and their like orgnise themselves and think of the world that is so driven by prevailing trends and fashionable ideas

i have no probs paying tax, although i would like some of the injustices in the tax system to be resolved

i sympathise with some of the people in the pub sector jobs u mention, i would rather see a fair market in their services, so that they can get paid a better wage, central control of their sector is the problem