new camera visibility laws - David Nicholls
this make intersting reading.

www.press.dtlr.gov.uk/0112/0517.htm

does this mean what every sane driver has known for years that the councils adn police have'nt been playing by the book??

for those who cant follow links, heres an intersting comments from the minister

"We have chosen the colour yellow, and are permitting the use of reflective strips to maximise visibility. In time safety cameras across the country will be yellow. That consistency and the tightening of the rules on cameras being obscured and signposted should serve to give motorists plenty of warning that a camera is present."

Home Officer Minister John Denham said:

"By giving ample warning to motorists as to where cameras are located, we aim to deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on our roads. Our aim is not to catch speeding motorists but to reduce injuries and crashes at known accident hotspots. These new rules on camera visibility will ensure that motorists know exactly what the speed limit is, and there is now no excuse for getting a ticket."
Good for the goose... - Lee H
BBC Ceefax is also reporting this, and says it applies only to 15 police forces, those that are being allowed to use the cameras to generate their own revenue.

Thus, it would appear that it's fine to hide them if the money goes to the treasury, but not to the local police.
Re: Good for the goose... - David Nicholls
it does go on to say that "in time" most cameras will be bright yellow, except in beauty spots. however 15 forces are part of the "cash for cameras" campaign, with 12 more in the porcess of being approved. i giess that within 12 months all forces will be part of the scheme.
Re: Good for the goose... - Lee H

"National guidelines for other police force areas will be published in the new year by the DTLR and the Home Office."

So a decision is still to be made on the existing camera estate. No commitment to yellow cameras, better speed markings (within 1km of the camera? too far, especially in urban areas) or anything else.

"In time safety cameras across the country will be yellow."

Doesn't say all cameras, doesn't say when. While they decide, some cameras are still hidden, and the treasury is raking in the cash.

Seems to me it would have been as easy to legislate for all cameras together. Why didn't they?

I'd hope, with you, that in 12 months these guidelines are used throughout the whole country but without a firm commitment, I'll be carefully watching the politicans who smile at me while plundering my finances.
Re: Good for the goose... - Alwyn
It's already been revealed that Gordon Brown and his chums expect to collect £40 million from the speed camera blitz so not all money is going to police and councils.

Also, if he expects to collect all this loot, then it is clear that he does not expect a reduction in speeds.
Re: Good for the goose... - BrianT
This is utter rubbish!
My local council never had any cameras in the borough until last week, since when four have been put up. The road markings haven't even been put in yet so they are not yet active. What colour are they? GREY! So much for new gudelines.
Re: Good for the goose... - David Nicholls
well it could also be seen as a means to keeps the jobless figures down....think about how many people will have to go around the sites with a tin of paint. in a nice little van, with a mate to foot the ladder (unless they are going to lower them like the police do)

and guess what, i bet the honest law abiding council tax payer ends up footing the bill.