Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Adam {P}
I apologise for not posting this in the I Have A Question Thread (which I suppose is the most relevant one) but given the nature, I think a few people should read it.

I got an email pointing me to this forum:

www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15945

I'm sure you've all seen scams but this one is incredibly realistic . If you look at the demo pages, it uses the real Barclays site but for the login it uses the fake one.

The particular nice touch is the "BE AWARE OF FRAUDSTERS"

Like I say, it's a smooth job and I do apologise for posting here but if at least a few people read it then that's something.

Sorry mods,

--
Adam
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - martint123
I'm disapointed that Pipex won't remove the fake site - why is it still there??
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - cheddar
Very useful info! I agree, why wont the ISP remove it.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - patently
Has anyone asked them to?
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - M1ke
Folks,

Just called Pipex who are going to take the site offline ASAP. Going to ring Barclays and advise them now.

Working for a comms company has its uses.

Mike
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - cheddar
I have called Barclays and e-mailed details to Fraud dept at Avon & Somerset Police.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Citroënian {P}
Appears to have gone offline now.
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Well that is good news.

Thanks everyone.
--
Adam
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Stuartli
A recent e-mail informed me that I have been appointed as the Technical Services Director for SunBank - a position I will be extremely proud to hold.

However, to regularly receive the fabulous salary that goes with this wonderful new job, I've got to send all my bank account details as soon as possible......:-)

If I fail to do so will it be a case of Niagara Falls?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - tack
A recent e-mail informed me that I have been appointed as the Technical Services Director......

For those of you not in the know. He was effectively being asked to be a "mule". Most of these emails emanate from Eastern Europe and rely on innocent parties to further transfer on monies which have been unlawfully obtained via Phishing attacks.

Currently, this type of fraud is costing the financial industry around £5m p.a.

The cost to Mr Joe Public who is foolish enough to undertake this sort of "business" is an early morning visit from men in suits, a day in the chokey and a likely charge of money laundering offences as well as paying back all of the money that went through his/her account.

The job sounds attractive, commission for very little work. In essence, you would be the recipient of funds transferred from an account that has fallen for the Phishing attack. You would then transfer the money (minus your commission) to another account (the fraudsters. You will need your commission for bail money!!!

If you want to know more, visit the British Bankers Association website (www.bba.org)

A number of "mules" have already been arrested in the UK by the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit.

By the way, I am not in the financial industry, so have no particular axe to grind in that respect. Am just a Fraud Investigator on the public side of things.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Dalglish
Well that is good news.

>>

a bit premature, i think.

i just tried both the barclays.gb and the batclays links.

they are still active as at 14.45 hrs.
hmmm not here. I'm getting a Forbidden page here.
--
Adam
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - mfarrow
Strange...

I started reading this thread at about 17:30 and both sites were "forbidden" after 5 minutes. Must take a while to get through cache at various servers.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - THe Growler
Hmmm..hope I'm OK. I made an internet transfer using Barclays Intl Jersey's site just a few hours ago.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Badger
The most disturbing aspect on link is the claim that Barclays had told one contributor that, in the event of loss through a bogus site, the customer would be liable for having failed to check the validity of the site.

I took this up with Barclays Online Banking (not the branch) and have received the following response:-

"Our Online Banking Guarantee promises to protect our customers. If a customer innocently suffers from Internet fraud on their Barclays bank account(s), we guarantee to cover the related losses, whatever the amount. This includes anyone that (sic) has been innocently duped by phishing emails. Full details of the Fraud Guarantee can be found by visiting www.ibank.barclays.co.uk and selecting 'Security'."

This is the Halifax promise:

"In the unlikely event that you are a victim of online fraud, you'll be covered by our online fraud guarantee:

"'If a customer of our online service is a victim of online fraud, we guarantee that they won't lose any money from their account, and will always be reimbursed in full.'

"There are, however, a few things you can do to protect yourself online so that you never fall victim to the actions of fraudsters."

Details follow although the words "so that you never fall victim" is a bit optimistic....:-)

Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Altea Ego
Dont cling to this hope forever guys. Sure at the moment if you get caught by a phishing scam you will be covered.

However this will not last forever as the definition of "online fraud" is currently being tightened up. Customers of banks are repeatedly told "we will never ask you directly for your pin number or confidential details via email"

Some some time in the next year or so you will find you are not covered for falling for a phishing scam.

>>we will never ask you directly for your pin number or confidential details via email">>

The Halifax makes that point as well on its online banking's home page where it warns about the regular rounds of fraudulent e-mails.

Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - BrianW
"Some some time in the next year or so you will find you are not covered for falling for a phishing scam."

Not a lot of difference, as far as I can see, between handing over your securiry details to a stranger and handing over your car or house keys.

In either case the bank or insurance company may well be inclined to argue that you were negligent and therefore not covered.
I had made it clear that unless I had an unequivocal assurance on the point I would shut down the online stuff and go back to queuing in the branch.

A few well-publicised cases of the customer having to pay would have us abandoning the internet in droves, and while internet fraud must be costing the banks a bomb, it's probably peanuts compared with the cost of buying back all those branches and re-opening them.
I think we hit the button at the same time, Renault F. My post is not a response to yours, though I do take your point.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Altea Ego
A very small proportion of bank customer actually bank online.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Hugo {P}
A very small proportion of bank customer actually bank online.

and soon even fewer people will bank online unless the banks act now to reassure people that they will not be put out to dry!
I'm sure Renault F is right, but that does not mean the numbers are not significant. This week I heard Ryanair say that it costs them £14.50 to process a telephone booking, but only 4.5p to process a web booking. With likely savings of that order against even telephone banking, the banks will be very anxious to expand their web trade.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - GrumpyOldGit
If you give someone your bank details freely, how can you later complain if they fleece you? How is that anything to do with the bank? The bank should not be held responsible for people's naivety.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - frostbite
If you give someone your bank details freely, how can you
later complain if they fleece you? How is that anything to
do with the bank? The bank should not be held responsible
for people's naivety.

Ah but, (amateur lawyer mode) if they were pretending to be someone else, and you believed them, then can you be said to have given the details freely?

--
Use it up : Wear it out : Make do : Do without
You can complain because it's a crime -- obtaining by deception.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - Welliesorter
If you give someone your bank details freely...

but phishing is the online equivalent of someone setting up a very convincing branch of Barclays, complete with uniformed staff and the correct furniture and carpets. As these scams get more sophisticated you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Online Banking - *iMPORTANT* - wemyss
Thats a very good point wellie and makes good sense.
Internet banking is pushed by the banks as being so simple to use which it is but not everybody is clued up on the downside to it.
I think your post says it all...
All of which is the 'innocent loss' against which the Banking Guarantee, cited above (and the Banking Code), claims to indemnify you. Without this, no-one would touch internet banking with a ten-foot proverbial and the banks know that.
Back to square one.