Polo 1.4 2002- Emission light reset - Aprilia
80-odd year old chap who lives near me called me today. His 2003 Polo 1.4 was running terrible (missing, no power). 'EPC' and 'Emissions' fault lights were on.

The car is only a year old and had just been serviced by the VW dealer (25 miles away).

I checked the engine over and found that the oil filler cap was loose. Presumably after the service they had put it back on and not tightened it properly. It must have sealed well enough when he drove home, but on starting the car this morning it moved a bit and was letting air in.

Anyway, fitting the cap properly returned engine operation to normal and the 'EPC' light went out. Unfortunately the 'Emissions' light is staying on.
Anyone know how to reset this lamp without a 50-mile round trip to the dealer? Will it reset after it senses a period of normal running with correct cat operation?
Polo 1.4 2002- Emission light reset - Dynamic Dave
Anyone know how to reset this lamp

Aprilia, not sure if the proceedure for resetting a 1999 model is the same as for a 2003, but if this is of any help:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=9400&m...e
Polo 1.4 2002- Emission light reset - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
No Dynamic, that is to reset the service interval reminder. Aprilia, I would suggest just driving the car around may cause the light to go off as soon as the system 'sees' the fault is no longer present. The filler cap being loose may have caused a number of faults to be logged such as idle adaptation, mixture correction exceeded and O2 sensor inactivity. It is possible that the throttle body may need re-adapting which will require the use of 1552/3 or Vag-com.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Polo 1.4 2002- Emission light reset - Aprilia
No Dynamic, that is to reset the service interval reminder. Aprilia,
I would suggest just driving the car around may cause the
light to go off as soon as the system 'sees' the
fault is no longer present. The filler cap being loose may
have caused a number of faults to be logged such as
idle adaptation, mixture correction exceeded and O2 sensor inactivity. It is
possible that the throttle body may need re-adapting which will require
the use of 1552/3 or Vag-com.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!

Thanks Andrew, I suspect as much myself. These cars are just too clever for anyone's good. Its amazing how much hassle a slightly loose oil filler cap can cause - doesn't help that its the dealer's fault and they are 25 miles away. I don't suppose they'll pay for the petrol to get there and back...
Polo 1.4 2002- Emission light reset - Dynamic Dave
No Dynamic, that is to reset the service interval reminder.

You're right. My only excuse is that I didn't read the post properly and it was late.