Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - Steveo4869
Hi all,
My Ford Fiesta XR2i 1991 (H Reg) has recently, within the last week, been illuminating the oil warning light on the dash when the engine is running. I am confused as to what the problem may be.

The oil level is spot on where it should be, it is not burning oil as I reconditioned the cyclinder head in Aug with new stem seals and there is no smoke being burnt from the rear. However when I'm driving and accelerate/rev the engine hard the oil light is no longer illuminated until I let off the accelerator and return the engine to a lower rev and/or idle.

Any advise greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Steveo
Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - Dynamic Dave

Your light is telling you that you have low oil pressure.
Could be any number of things. It could be something as simple as a dodgy pressure switch (which could be partially blocked with sludge); or something more serious, such as worn oil pump, a worn engine, etc.

Personally I would stop driving it around until you can confirm it's something trivial, rather than terminal.

Easiest thing to do first is change the oil pressure switch.
Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - Steveo4869
Many Thanks Dave for the advise.
Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - Imagos
Steve, click on www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19824&...f this link for a problem I had with oil light. Problem was solved..
Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - mini, pug, landy, Andy
i'll quote you the text from the haynes maualls for both my landrover and mini on the subject of oil pressure

its sad but i can almost remember it off by heart

'low oil pressure on a high mileage engine is not necesrally a cause for concern, however sudden oil presure loss at speed is far more serious. in any event check oil pressure sender/switch and wiring before condeming the eingine'
Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - mini, pug, landy, Andy
sorry i missed a VITAL word out

'low oil pressure on a high mileage engine AT IDLE is not necesrally a cause for concern, however sudden oil presure loss at speed is far more serious. in any event check oil pressure sender/switch and wiring before condeming the eingine'
Oil Warning Light Problem Fiesta XR2i - Sprice
Perhaps try changing oil/filter, putting in a less viscous oil, such as a 5w or 10w40 and see if this makes a difference.