ID Required for New Plates - pdc {P}
I know that the issue of having to provide ID to get new number plates made has been mentioned in these forums in the past 12 months, but I am obviously not driving the forum search engine correctly as combinations of 'new' 'number' 'plates' 'replacement' 'id' returns nothing that looks to be relevant.

I went to the DVLA on Friday to collect number plate retention documents for the friend who is selling her car (mentioned in another thread) and when I got to Halfords to get plates made up for the newly issued number I realised that my photo driving license was at home, attached to the paper copy, having recently taken it all overseas.

I read that if you didn't have your license with you, you would be able to provide a bank/credit card statement or utility bill, along with a travel card with photo, a foreign national card, a credit card with photo and a couple of other cards with pics on them.

Luckily I had a credit card statement in my case, and although I had none of the photo cards mentioned I did have my Royal Air Force ID card with me.

I was told that it was not acceptable. I was stunned that a bus or rail pass, which when I last had one were just a piece of card with picture attached, could be accepted as id, but a military pass, a proper plastic thing, with picture printed onto it and overlayed with security hologram, and which gets me into some of the most secure places in the country, was not.

Meanwhile, the local crims were at home making up fake plates in their garages.

Yet another law which makes the lives of the law abiding citizen more difficuly, while doing fanny adams about crime.
ID Required for New Plates - Adam {P}
If it makes you feel any better, last year, my Dad went into the bank to withdraw some money for a car - didn't have a photocard licence full stop but did have his Merseyside Police Warrant Card complete with signature, photograph - everything. Wasn't accepted. He said that he didn't have a photocard but this wasn't cutting anything.

I understand there are rules but come on...
--
Adam
ID Required for New Plates - volvoman
Yep - total nonsense and another example of companies either not understanding overcomplex regulations or the rules being just plain stupid and full of loopholes.
My sons' travel photocards were run off by the local newsagent in about 5 minutes!

Some months back I wanted to change my sons' account for a higher interest one with the same bank at the same branch. Had to produce full ID for myself and the 2 other trustees had to do likewise just to change the name on the account. Ironically I'd have been able to withdraw the cash on the spot with no such problems. The tip of an iceberg methinks.
ID Required for New Plates - Hugo {P}
To be fair these measures are put in for very good reasons, however they do not always reflect the need for the appropriate level of security.

H
ID Required for New Plates - Cliff Pope
The intention behind the measures may be laudable, but like every regulation nowadays it only applies to the law-abiding.
Any real money-launderer or someone needing fake number plates can easily get round the rules.
You can buy number plates on the internet without any ID at all. They are for "demonstration purposes" only, but made to the regulation standards.

On the subject of banks needing ID, likewise try the internet.
Recently I got an invitation from my "well known high street bank" to open an online instant saving account as well. It just said "click here" if you want one, so I clicked, and there it was, ready to use. I can transfer all my drug millions from my Swiss account at the touch of a button.
ID Required for New Plates - Mark (RLBS)
>>I can transfer all my drug millions from my Swiss account at the touch of a button.

Yes you can. But I cannot tell you how many times I have had money frozen by one authority or another as it moves from one country to another. They want to know where it came from, and proof; where its going to, and proof; and why you're moving it, and proof. And its an absolute nightmare if the money is going through the US. It can disappear for weeks at a time.

And whilst I am prepared to believe that there are ways around it, I have never found them. You just get into the habit of never moving more than US$9,999 in any one go.

Try asking Western Union how much they will move across a country border for you in one go - IIRC its about £600 or something equally pathetic and beyond that you need all sorts of documentary evidence.

And then, after all of that, the taxman shows up...........
ID Required for New Plates - henry k
Try asking Western Union how much they will move across a
country border for you in one go - IIRC its about
£600 or something equally pathetic and beyond that you need all
sorts of documentary evidence.

My son is currently waiting for answers from WU.
I went to collect the money he sent to me and they said it had already been collected.
So much for proof of identity on collection or is it some other ruse?
The outlet I went to would not accept my passport that was a few weeks expired but was prepared to accept a tatty old green driving license.
I guess if no good answers are produced then I should report it to the police? I guess they cannot do much about it.
I would like my pathetic amount that was sent!
ID Required for New Plates - expat
About two years ago I had some money transferred to me in Australia from the UK. It was a very substantial sum and it came through no bother credited straight into my bank account. No questions, no forms, no tax. Maybe it is different with money going the other way but it was no bother at this end.
ID Required for New Plates - THe Growler
OT but compliance (how I hate that noxious laden-with-innuendo word PC left wing word) with int'l money-laundering regulations has been forced on more and more countries in recent years with threats of sanctions absent such "compliance".

A second issue is that banks will flagrantly sit on money for 30-60 days in some cases so they can use it in the markets.

The big banks are now pretty well in line and the spotlight is now on the other vehicles, WU as mentioned, Moneygram, even FedEx.

In the example mentioned, Australia would most likely be on an "approved" list.

As for licence plates, why are they produced independently in UK from the reg process? Here you get yours from the LTO when the vehicle is reg for the first time along with all your papers.

ID Required for New Plates - Dynamic Dave
pdc,

Info from the dvla website:-

www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/INF136.pdf

ID Required for New Plates - pdc {P}
Yep, thats the leaflet they pointed me to in halfords. i knew before going that I would need my photo license. it's usually in my wallet at all times, but having just been on holiday it was at home with the paper copy, and I forgot.

Still it's reassuring to know that a GMPTE bus pass + bank statement is better proof of id than a police warrant card, or a military id card eh?
ID Required for New Plates - Alyn Beattie
Hi All

The necessity for ID when accessing financial srvices is contained in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. It is supposed to be to combat money laundering. By the way the definition of money laundering is very wide and includes tax evasion. The documentation allowed is quite wide. The act states that people should not be deprived of services because of the lack of usual docuuments recommended. However businesses impose their own rules, known as regulation creep, to be sure they are well witin the law.

Most businesses in the financial sector are scared of the Financial Services Authority, who police the act, because they are judge , jury and executioner, with no independent appeal procedure available for regulated firms.

This is why stupid things happen with banks, insurance companies etc. Over regulation and the tick box mentality is slowly bringing this country to a halt.
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
ID Required for New Plates - volvoman
Alyn's hit the nail on the head. There's also another element here too - institutions deliberately using regulations as a means by which to either try to avoid responsibility for something or force customers to follow certain procedures which are not necessarily in the customers best interests.
ID Required for New Plates - Dalglish
This is why stupid things happen with banks, insurance
companies etc. Over regulation and the tick box mentality is
slowly bringing this country to a halt.

>>

the answer to this problem is to do what i do:

ask to speak to the manager or supervisor and challenge them to produce the bit of the law which says they must do what they insist is required.

then be prepared to show them the exceptions, if they haven't found those themselves:

e.g. for financial services

" relevant firms ensure that, where people cannot reasonably be expected to produce detailed evidence of identity, they are not denied access to financial services. Although a relevant firm must always take reasonable steps to check who its client is, relevant firms will sometimes be approached by clients who are at a disadvantage, or who otherwise cannot reasonably be expected to produce detailed evidence that helps to confirm identity. An example could be where a person does NOT have a passport or driving licence, and whose name does not appear on utility bills.

ID Required for New Plates - frostbite
I recently 'enjoyed' the experience of a jobsworth from my local council who, on entering my house, demanded proof after proof of my identity before condesending to discuss the matter in hand.
ID Required for New Plates - John R @ Work {P}
I hope you returned the compliment...
i.e. photo ID as a council employee etc.

Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
ID Required for New Plates - Wales Forester
Some of the wording in the DVLA form in DD's link www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/INF136.pdf is a tad ambiguous in my opinion.

The words 'current paper driving licence' could mean either a new style paper licence which accompanies the photo type licence or it could equally be read as a paper driving licence that is currently valid.

Reading the form further reveals that a bank statement along with a 'current paper driving licence' is also acceptable and would mean that photo ID isn't necessary.
Am I reading this right?

PP

ID Required for New Plates - tack
In fact, the banks recently received a rap over the knuckles from the FSA enforcement unit regarding lax security over accounts in fake names. Won't do the honest law abiding people like you and me any good. Just stops us getting on with our daily lives whilst the West African fraudsters can still open fake accounts with (apparent) impunity.

I know that there is reason to moan and groan about officialdom, but unfortunately, fraud has infiltrated every part of the financial sector and elsewhere on a massive scale. What with fake accounts, phishing attacks, fake lottery wins, ATM thieves, and eBay fraud. They all seem to be able to move money around with impunity, but if I sell my house, I have to prove where my deposit came from for the next purchase up the chain.
ID Required for New Plates - cockle {P}
Mmmmm, all these increasing requirements for photo ID wouldn't have anything to do with the planned introduction of 'voluntary' National ID cards would it?

Apparently the ID cards are going to be voluntary until they have been in for ten years and then 'consideration will be made as to making them compulsory'. The cynic in me suggests that the take up will not be of astronomic proportions therefore if it is made as difficult as possible for someone without one to carry on their normal business without one then the pressure will increase until you give in and conform.

The even more cynical side of me wonders that if the true need is to fight terrorism, illegal immigration, benefit fraud, etc, and is so pressing why are we waiting ten years, surely they should be compulsory immediately.

Like yourself, pdc, I carry photo ID at work which gets me into all sorts of places with very few questions and have no problems with it. My main irritation is that if we as a nation are going to 'do security' then we should get on with it and do it properly, not just pay lip service.

Cockle
ID Required for New Plates - frostbite
Cockle, that requires joined up thinking - this lot don't do joined up thinking.
ID Required for New Plates - Chris7
Most people I know get plates made up either Ebay, Internet, or big markets like North Weald, pay your money get them by return no questions asked.
ID Required for New Plates - Cliff Pope
Exactly, Chris. You can get anything and get round anything on the Internet.