Gator Grip - Robin Reliant
One of the starter motor bolts on my Mondeo has rounded off. Typically it is the most akward one to get at, no room to get a mole grip on it as it is recessed and it looks a real pig to try and use a chisel to turn it without having the car on a ramp. I was wondering if those sockets with the internal pins that shape to the profile of the head were any good, some gorilla has overtightened the bolt (ahem, goes red) and it will probably need a fair bit of force to shift.

Are these any good, or will they only take fairly light force?
Gator Grip - Schnitzel
They are OK with deep nuts, but shallow nuts just pop out.
Also, the diameter of the socket can make it hard to get on if the nut is next to something, or in a recess in a casting.
Gator Grip - Galaxy
A method I myself have used in the past that might work.

Try hammering on a tubular box spanner that's too small to fit the bolt head normally. It ruins the box spanner but you might just be able to get it to stay on to shift your bolt.

It's worked for me in the past.
Gator Grip - Number_Cruncher
Before becoming agricultural in your methods, have you tried a six point socket? Usually socket sets come with twelve point sockets which are fine until you get a stubborn one!

number_cruncher
Gator Grip - v8man
I also find impact sockets very handy in this situation. They are available from Halfords at a reasonable price. Thay drive thw sides of the bolt rather than the corners.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Gator Grip - Pete M
Most impact drivers also have a half inch square drive incorporated that will connect to a socket. In conjunction with some of the techniques above, it might just crack the bolt free. Obviously, use extensions as required to get access.
Or, when removing the gearbox on one car, the (previously untouched) bolts needed the services of a two foot power bar. An 18 inch one wasn't enough. Even then they went with a bang!
As above, try a six point socket. The 'flank drive' or similar sockets work on the flats, not the corners so may be better.
HTH
Gator Grip - Robin Reliant
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to try the six point socket as suggested. I have an impact driver but there is no room to swing a hammer, unfortunately.
Gator Grip - Cliff Pope
Hammering on an old spanner or socket that is too small is always a good option.
Gators work well on relatively small nuts where grip rather than torque is the issue. I am not so sure about use on larger sizes. I have heard stories that if you put real force on them, as in 3 foot scaffolding pipe extensions, they break up and all the rollers fall out.