What would you recommend for a couple who want a comfortable, reliable SUV?

My wife and I are in our late 60s, retired and are looking to buy an SUV for the first time for its ease of access and high position. We don't care about prestige brands but we do want comfort, refinement, quiet and enough performance to make driving effortless. Perhaps automatic. We are tall but do not need extra space for people or luggage. We also want reliability. We tend not to change cars frequently - we have had our current car - a Ford Focus, bought nearly new - for seven years. We want to spend no more than £30k. Would we be better off buying a used luxury SUV like the Audi Q7 or a new/nearly new midsize SUV like the Skoda Karoq? In short, what would you recommend for an ageing couple who put comfort over speed but don't want to pay for either size or prestige that we do not need?

Asked on 13 January 2021 by Paul McGrane

An Audi Q7 sounds a bit big for your needs. A Skoda Karoq could be perfect – it's a very comfortable crossover SUV. Also look at the very similar Volkswagen Tiguan, or the uber-comfortable Citroen C5 Aircross. You might find that smaller crossovers meet your requirements, too – take a look at the Ford Puma or Peugeot 2008.