More reliable than a Mini Countryman?

I’m in my 30s, work in investment management and use my own car for commuting and business. I currently have a 2016 Mini One Countryman 1.6-litre petrol, which has proven really unreliable with poor build quality (failed engine seal, clutch contaminated by an oil leak from the engine, broken water pump, gearbox issues etc). I’m keen to ditch it and replace it with something more reliable, ideally with a long warranty, and suitable for navigating country lanes (which are often icy or flooded) on my 20 mile daily commute. It also needs to be comfy for fortnightly longer motorway drives whilst visiting clients with a tall seating position and plenty of headroom. It needs to be big enough for a Labrador, car seat and boot full of shopping, while being cost-effective to run, too. I could spend around £20k outright or would consider 0% finance. I have no idea where to start so any guidance much appreciated.

Asked on 7 January 2021 by Amy F

Take a look at the latest Ford Puma or Peugeot 2008. Both are really fashionable little crossover SUVs with enough space for your Lab. £20k will get you an as-new pre-registered model of either. Alternatively, if you want to prioritise a long warranty, consider a Kia Stonic or Toyota C-HR.