Can you recommend a reliable SUV?

I am thinking of replacing my Renault Modus diesel with something bigger. Ideally, a crossover or SUV, with similar fuel economy to my Modus. The car must also be reliable, avoiding any possible turbo, timing belt and DPF issues.

I quite like the Suzuki Vitara, SX4 S-Cross, Hyundai Tucson/ix35. Have been put off Yeti and Qashqai on reliability issues and Renault/Citroen. What do you suggest I buy?

Asked on 2 November 2016 by Ignacio

I prefer the Vitara S 1.4T BoosterJet to the S-Cross, and readers are reporting 45mpg +. I think you might get 50mpg from a Peugeot 2008 with the 1.2 Puretech 110 or 130 engine. Don't recommend diesel unless you'll be doing ver 15k miles a year.