looking @ 1998 Audi A4 - uk2usa
Hi,
Im going to be looking at buying a 1998 Audi A4 V6 2.8 this weekend. The car is manual, 2WD and has about 108K. It is a US spec car since I'm in AZ at the moment, dont think it is much different to the UK model. Any idea what are the important things to check on this particular car.
Thanks....
looking @ 1998 Audi A4 - madf
Front suspension lower bushes (recall)
Cylinder heads: check for noises.
Catalysts x 2!
Aircon condensers fail.
Rear disks rust.
Oil leaks
Overheating - stains.
All rubber belts and tensioners .

madf

looking @ 1998 Audi A4 - Nsar
have a good play with the on board computer to get to the avg fuel consumption reading. i get an avge of 23mpg on my A6 estate with the 2.8 ACK engine.
one of my cats went at 108 and i think the other may be on the way on the way out now at 112k
CV boots may be close to the limit which is quite a time hungry job albeit fairly simple
They like tyres too so these three together might give you some bargaining power.
Check the service history for a timing belt change which it should have had by now

I've had one huge problem with mine (bought at 95k miles) which was to do with the selector switch on the auto-box. Take that out of the equation and 20k miles I've had it has been painless if a bit heavy on fuel.
looking @ 1998 Audi A4 - uk2usa
How can I check the front suspension bushes when I go to check the car? I dont think the guy will be too happy if i want to jack it up, etc

thanks
looking @ 1998 Audi A4 - madf
If the bushes are faulty they will creak or groan at low speed. Ask if they have been changed. If not they will go at around 70-110k miles...£250 each side.. But check with Audi dealers about recall status: it may be done foc...

(a short term bodge is spraying with WD40- grovel underneath when wheels are turned to full lock and look for damp stains..:-)

madf

looking @ 1998 Audi A4 - Aprilia
Check all the climate control functions and its LCD display (control unit can fail as can the air distribution stepper motors - $$$).
Drive slowly over some bumpy roads and see if the dash creaks - they mostly seem to - and it can get very annoying!