To signal or not to signal? - Roger Jones
I've extracted this from an old thread, about which I forgotten until something prompted me this morning. The habit seems to be getting worse.

RJ: "My current puzzle is why so many drivers don't think it worth indicating when they cross the centre line to pass parked cars, cyclists, etc. It would be more than a little mutually beneficial to know in advance that oncoming traffic needs to share the carriageway on which you're driving."

Teabelly: "I deliberately don't indicate when doing such a manoeuvre with parked vehicles as can confuse other road users. They think you are about to turn right rather than going round parked cars. When faced with other cars doing the same and they start to move over I make sure I am as far left as practicable so they fit in. You don't have to use an indicator to make your intentions clear when passing parked cars as moving out to the crown of the road in good time gives that message better than an indicator and is less confusing, particularly if there is someone waiting to turn out into the road in a nearby junction. They could think that indicator meant the person was turning off not just passing parked cars and pull out in front of them. If I have to stop then I'll stick on my indicator or some numpty will barge passed as they have not realised I am waiting for a gap to go round the parked car in front.

Indicating when passing a cyclist depends on the width of the road, whether there are junctions and whether there is oncoming traffic and to some extent whether I remember!"

I'm surprised by Teabelly's response, but perhaps others may agree with it. I still think that crossing into the oncoming carriageway is, in effect, overtaking, and it is quite clear that we should always signal when overtaking, which is one of the most dangerous of all road manoeuvres. I think oncoming drivers won't expect you to turn right unless you are clearly slowing down. And, when all is said and done, isn't defaulting to signalling a sensible habit? I am reminded of a recent report on this board of someone who signalled only when he thought someone else was watching him -- duh?
To signal or not to signal? - BazzaBear {P}
I think oncoming drivers won't expect you
to turn right unless you are clearly slowing down.

Ha!
That was a joke, right?
I certainly would never 'expect' other road users to correctly diagnose my reasons for indicating, and certainly would not trust someone in a side-road not to pull out in front of me in this situation.
I tend to agree with Teabelly, but what I do will depend on the situation.
If we're giving the other raod users as much credit as you do, then the very fact of there being parked cars on the other side of the road should let them know what manoevre I'm going to have to perform.
In general though, I'll make sure I'm already as far out as I ned to be before I'm alongside any other traffic, so there's no need to indicate, since I'm already in position, not going any further into their lane.
If the people comign the other way are obviously oblivious to the upcoming hazard (i.e. are sitting right on the white line, rather than towards the gutter), then an indication is still unnecessary - since I just won't perform the manoevre.
If they're capable of missing the fact that I'm obviously going to need to cross the white line, then they're also quite capable of missing (or more to the point - hitting) my car moving out, indicator flashing or not.
I'll wait for them to not be there, thank you very much.
To signal or not to signal? - patently
There is also the question of the car behind. Even a brief right signal will warn them that there is an obstruction in the road.

Teabelly has a point, but I don't think it outweighs the above & the need to warn oncoming drivers that you are moving out. After all, they might be planning to, too.
Good point, but again - if the oncoming drivers are going to need to move out, I will have observed that fact, and will take the necessary measures, whether that be to indicate, or to not move out at all.
As I said, every situation is different, and I act according to those circumstances.

And yes, I have been caught in the past, in a situation where I have chosen to wait, and have not indicated, by a fool from behind overtaking me.
This has happened 3 times that I remember, and without fail, each time has involved me moving out towards the white line, the car angled to obviously cross it but stopped. The person behind has then somehow interpreted this as me parking at the side of the road, and overtaken me into a gap which isn't there, forcing someone to reverse in order to clear the blockage they just caused.

For anyone who is capable of being that utterly dumb, I'm not sure the indicator would help them! ;)
Seriously though, in that situation I do see the value of an indicator, so, in fact, the time I'm most likely to use it is when I've chosen NOT to perform the manoevre - if there's a car behind.

In fact (and I'm rambling here a bit, sorry) looked at from a different POV, this makes more sense.
If you're going to cross the white line, it should be safe to do so. If it isn't, then the indicator shouldn't make any difference - use of the indicator alone can't make a manoevre safe, since it relies on other peoples observation of it, something you can't be sure of. If it is safe, then what difference does the indicator make?
On the other hand, if you choose to not perform the manoevre, but wait - THEN it becomes sensible to indicate, so road users know what you plan to do in the near future.
A lot of sense there, BB. And, as you say, every situation is individual so the scope for generalisation is small.
If you're going to cross the white line, it should be safe to
do so. If it isn't, then the indicator shouldn't make any
difference - use of the indicator alone can't make a manoevre
safe, since it relies on other peoples observation of it,
something you can't be sure of. If it is safe, then what
difference does the indicator make?

I remember pondering that for some time. If we only make the maneuvre when safe to do so, surely we don't need to warn anyone because they will not be affected?

Ah, but there is one extra person that we do need to warn - the bloke we didn't notice!

(don't ask me how I realised that...!)
To signal or not to signal? - Stuartli
There are many occasions when indicating a manoeuvre is equally as important to pedestrians as to other road users.
Ah, but there is one extra person that we do need
to warn - the bloke we didn't notice!

Ah. Another good point - he's a swine that one.

Overall, my stance remains the same - I will judge according to circumstance whether to indicate.
What I think differentiates this situation from others, and possibly makes 'not indicating' a valid decision, is the risk of a signal being misinterpreted.

When considering the original question, the first place that came to my mind was a quite wide road in Congleton. There is a point on it that invariably has parked cars on my side of the road, a side road directly opposite them, and another (heavily used) side road - this time on my side, a few yards further on. I never indicate at this point as I approach, as it would almost definitely only result in requiring an emergency stop when someone then pulled out in front of me. Also, the road is wide enough that, unless the oncoming motorist is particularly oblivious, there is plenty of room for two lanes of traffic anyway.
To signal or not to signal? - Cliff Pope
I take BB's point in the particular circumstances he illustrates.
In general though I try to indicate right when I need to pull out to pass a cyclist or pedestrian, and it is better to do so as early as possible.
Another point is that one should indicate intention to pull out, but having pulled out, cancel the indicator. Once you are out,there is no need to go on indicating, and indeed it can be confusing as BB points out.
If someone is tailgating you and you can see a cyclist looming up ahead, the important thing is to stake your right to a bit of road well in advance, to forstall him trying to overtake, and maybe make him pull back a bit.
To signal or not to signal? - Badger
I'm a bit hazy on this, but didn't Stirling Moss fail his scooter for unnecessary signalling? Certainly I remember my driving instructor teaching me -- a long time ago, true -- that a signal indicated an intention do the unexpected. You did not signal for a manouvre that would be blindingly obvious, such as pulling out to pass a parked vehicle (as he used to put it 'are you expected to jump over it?').
Sorry -- that should have read "scooter test" of course. Oh, for an edit button.
To signal or not to signal? - philomeena
"Another point is that one should indicate intention to pull out, but having pulled out, cancel the indicator. Once you are out,there is no need to go on indicating, and indeed it can be confusing as BB points out"

Driving in Spain I noticed that they keep the indicator on until finished overtaking.
I thought this was actually a good idea.
To signal or not to signal? - Stuartli
There is an edit button but it comes under the term Preview...:-)

To signal or not to signal? - andymc {P}
I think it was the opposite - he was failed for not indicating even though he could see there was nobody around to indicate to. I remember watching him interviewed some years back where he told the story, & I think he finished off by saying it was alright, he did it the next time and passed, with a smile on his face that said while the jobsworth might have gotten a kick out of failing him, he was still Stirling Moss!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
In general though I try to indicate right when I need
to pull out to pass a cyclist or pedestrian, and it
is better to do so as early as possible.

For either of those I would strongly agree to indicate, since in either case there's a strong possibility that they would be hidden by your car for anyone following you.
Perfectly reasonable not to indicate in the circumstance you describe, BB.
Particuarly if it could be taken for a right-turn signal.
To signal or not to signal? - GrumpyOldGit
It was a very long time ago so might not be valid now, but I was taught that you should always signal if to do so would be of benefit to another road user.

In the case of a cyclist or parked vehicle I signal, but cancel it once I've moved out. It isn't so much for the benefit of the car behind me, but for the cars behind him. It warns the following traffic that there's an obstacle ahead. It may also warn oncoming traffic that opposing vehicles are passing the obstruction and that they should be cautious.

(Not oncoming that is so close as to make a pass dangerous, but that which is further away, but in view, so would be warned by seeing my signal.)
To signal or not to signal? - MarkSmith
Slightly off the original topic but I hope you won't mind...

I'm preparing for my IAM motorbike test at the moment. I have been told three times now (by three observers, two of whom are senior observers) not to signal as I pull back left on a motorway after overtaking. There's no point, apparently, because it's expected that you will do this.

While _all_ of their other advice has been good stuff, I must disagree with this point. I expect I'll do it on my test, because I want to pass it, but I will certainly start to indicate again the moment my test is over.

Firstly, it's not expected at all because (as can be seen on the M3 of a morning) most people do NOT pull back in after overtaking.
Secondly, someone might not have seen you pull out for the overtake (whether they should have done or not is irrelevant - I don't want to be in an accident whether I am responsible for it or not!) and might therefore not expect you to pull back in.
Thirdly, what if (and I've seen this many times!) someone is about to pull out from lane 1 to lane 2, into the same gap you're moving into from lane 3 to lane 2? They were probably the other side of the lorry you just overtook, so almost certainly point 2 applies.

Cheers,
Mark
To signal or not to signal? - scotty
No, I didn't think that was off topic at all, but very pertinent.

I've only recently taken my advanced car test. At the start of my long road to reaching the required standard (hey, old dogs can learn tricks - they just take a bit longer) I had to break the signaling habit.

As I understand it, the idea is you should only signal when it's going to help. Now you should only be pulling back in when it's safe to do so, so generally you shouldn't need to signal.

Most of the time you shouldn't need to signal when moving out to pass parked cars. You should have positioned yourself smoothly well before the cars and your own car's position should itself "signal" your intent.

You should only signal when there's someone there to see it and they're going to gain from it. I always used to signal regardless. It forces you to be more observant - you have to check if there's anyone about and it makes you think more about what you're doing.

Les
To signal or not to signal? - frostbite
Disagree with your last para scotty.

I usually signal on approach to junctions regardless because it is not exactly unknown for someone to appear when you are past the point where you would normally have signalled, and for the late signal to inconvenience either of you.
To signal or not to signal? - THe Growler
Never ever signal in the Philippines. To do so gives away your strategic advantage by telling the other guy what you're going to do. No macho male worthy of his salt would do anything so wimpish as that. Signals are only to be used for forcing your way into traffic after you've created a third lane on the other side of the road so you can beat the two-lane queue when the lights turn green. (Hint: Suburban or Expedition with blacked out windows and no number plates do this rather well).
To signal or not to signal? - L'escargot
A lot of drivers signal for no good reason. It's just an automatic (subconcious) act, carried out with no thought whatsoever, and suggests that the driver has no idea of what is around him. Probably some are not even aware that they have signalled.

I only signal when I consider that to do so will be beneficial to other (nearby) road users, pedestrians included. If anyone is so far away that they will not benefit, then I don't signal.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
To signal or not to signal? - Cliff Pope
It's a tempting argument only to signal if there is someone there to see it, but I think in practice it is very difficult to be certain that there is no one around. Pedestrians can be lurking anywhere, and they have as much right to be signalled to as drivers.
At the back of my mind too is always a potential accident/insurance enquiry - "and he wasn't even signalling" - after mowing down a child who unexpectedly appeared from nowhere.
To signal or not to signal? - L'escargot
It's a tempting argument only to signal if there is someone
there to see it, but I think in practice it is
very difficult to be certain that there is no one around.
Pedestrians can be lurking anywhere ......

But not on the M62 at 2 o'clock in the morning!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
To signal or not to signal? - PatrickO
You can rarely signal too much. What really get\'s on my nerves is drivers not indicating on roundabouts or at the wrong times. As a truck driver and to a lesser point in my car, it\'s all about keeping it rolling so when you approach a junction you slow down, hoping to keep it rolling so it won\'t take you ten minutes to get back up to cruising speed and look to see if the driver on the roundabout is getting off or carrying round so you have to stop. Occasionaly if they are not indicating I pull out (safely but enough to let them now they would have been better off indicating their intentions and I would have stayed put). Always indicate at the right time on roundabouts (unless there\'s no one there!)