Rear View Mirrors - ndbw
How nice to see that (in my opinion I hasten to add)the Fiat Multipla has turned from ugly duckling to swan,it has I notice in both versions the the mirrors fitted with the longest dimension vertical whereas most cars have the long axis horizontal which bringfs me to my topic I have just travelled on a coach and was very impressed by the drivers ability to reverse into tight spots between other vehicles in car parks I realised as I was sitting in the seat behind the driver that his vertically sited mirrors gave him an outstanding view of the sides and therefor position of his vehicle is there an idea for car designers?,I can get a similar effect with my electrically adjusting mirrors but this means losing ones normal settings.

ndbw
Rear View Mirrors - Vin {P}
Well, my view on this, for what it's worth, is that you spend 99.9% of your time going forwards, so what metters is mirrors that are set for that. You'll probbaly find that the coach mirrors were even wider than most car mirrors; the depth was just a bonus.

Park your car 20yds away from a wall. Make marks on the wall as far apart as you can see with the main mirror. Then set your door mirrors to the point where you can just see the marks you made previously. Then, with the three mirrors you have no blind spot and the widest possible field of view.

I hate passing cars where the door mirrors are obviously set for reversing. No use at all for the rest of the time.

V
Rear View Mirrors - SjB {P}
Then, with the three mirrors you have no blind spot and the widest possible field of view.

Not totally true, Vin.

You have the widest possible mirror field of view, sure, but you are still likely to have a blind spot on the outside of the door mirrors, before objects then touch your peripheral vision.

There is no substitute for turning your head, both for this reason, and with a changed angle of view, the fact that objects are also more likely to be noticed. For an example of the latter reason, I always move my head when approaching a junction in case there is another object also approaching with an apparent - though of course not actual - closing speed of zero. This action makes the object more likely to be seen, as well as - not connected to your thread, admittedly - removing any blind spot caused by the thicker and thicker 'A' pillars that cars seem to be getting these days.

As a motorcyclist, I hope that I'm not the only car driver who moves his head, though make an assumption when riding that I am.
Rear View Mirrors - Vin {P}
Sorry SjB, my mistake. As an ex-courier, I should have known better. I assumed that people would know to take a peek before moving. Big assumption.

One good thing about mirror design, however, is that with one of the mirrors where the outside edge is convex (as on the Omega), I have checked and my peripheral vision picks up vehicles before they leave my right hand mirror.

I still look, though, as I'm amazed how many times I've been about to move, checked over my shoulder and found someone just sitting there.

V
Rear View Mirrors - NowWheels
the Fiat Multipla has turned from ugly duckling to swan

I'm sure you meant to say that the most original, functional and creative piece of car design since the Renault 4 has now been reduced to a bland piece of mush by some heartless bean-counters who clearly have no sense of style.
Rear View Mirrors - AngryJonny
It doesn't matter how innovative and creative a car is, Fiat still need to sell them. Perhaps we'll see a few more on the road now. If I had a family I'd consider a Multipla except for the hideous looks. Perhaps I'd consider one with a bit more enthusiasm now. I don't mind innovative design and a bit of flair. Unfortunately the Multipla was hideous with it.
Rear View Mirrors - ndbw
Surprised no one has picked up my point of the view given when reversing with long axis vertical,a wide angle section or my own favourite a "Paddy Hopkirk" stickon takes care of blindspot,could not agree more about moving ones head to ensure safe progress,roundabouts come to mind when the vehicle coming from the right who has priority can be masked behind the windscreen pillar if the closing speeds happen to co incide.

ndbw
Rear View Mirrors - patently
I'm sure you meant to say that the most original, functional
and creative piece of car design since the Renault 4 has
now been reduced to a bland piece of mush by some
heartless bean-counters who clearly have no sense of style.

I have a plan. NoWheels - you get yourself some a piece of original, functional and creative car design and I'll carry on driving things that turn heads, not stomachs.
I have a plan. NoWheels - you get yourself some a
piece of original, functional and creative car design and I'll carry
on driving things that turn heads, not stomachs.

Are you selling the Porsche through Ebay or AutoTrader? ;-)
Rear View Mirrors - patently
Are you selling the Porsche through Ebay or AutoTrader? ;-)

:-D

The public vote is against you, sadly.
Rear View Mirrors - Robin Reliant
I'm sure you meant to say that the most original, functional
and creative piece of car design since the Renault 4 has
now been reduced to a bland piece of mush by some
heartless bean-counters who clearly have no sense of style.

>>
Hear Hear. Only MPV that does not look like a breeze block.
Rear View Mirrors - Happy Blue!
I like the look of the Fiat Doblo.

I'll get my hat............

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I like the look of the Fiat Doblo.
I'll get my hat............

or glasses? ;-)
Rear View Mirrors - Sooty Tailpipes
Some of us may recall that when Mercs were ugly, but good, the passenger mirror was portrait and the driver's landscape. I think this stopped about 7 years ago.