Luggage capacity - StevieT
I may be being a little dense, but I am trying to compare different estate/ large family / MPVs in terms of luggage carrying capacity. If you read various brochures they quote different capacities, as do the car magazines. This is often based on the abbreviations VDA and SAE, but these are never explained and a 'google' search has not helped! For example, I am looking at the Saab 9-5 estate and the quoted luggage capacity seems to vary from 416 dm cubed (VDA) to 890 dm cubed(SAE) with the seats in place, but say the Honda Accord has 626 Lts (VDA method) rear seats up (to window line), but no equivalent SAE dimension. When you look at most of the dimensions of the vehicles they are very similar. In general what I want to know from the manufacturers is which car will as much of the children's paraphernalia without resorting to a roofbox, and this should be given in a consistent, reproducible and understandable manner across car types and brands. In terms of making useful comparisons between cars it would be helpful if these carrying capacities were consistent, so that the poor old consumer, i.e. me were not consistently confused, especially when nearly every car salesman I have asked has not a clue what these terms mean either!
If anyone can help (?honest John) please advise.
Many thanks
Luggage capacity - Mapmaker
I'm not sure that cubic capacity is particularly helpful - unless you want to carry loose water!

You need to work out what paraphernalia (which originally meant the property of a married woman, did you know?) you need to take with you, & then go to try to fit it in the relevant cars.

e.g. Gaps behind wheel arches are not a lot of use - although they are obviously 'space'.
Luggage capacity - AngryJonny
Agreed. When it comes to boot practicality, it often comes a close third in the designer's mind after engineering requirements and style. So the biggest boot in volume may have irritating protrusions or a narrow opening. People comment on how big my boot is, but it's very shallow so not a lot of use for large items.

The only way to find out which boot suits you best is to get all your gear down to each dealer and try fitting it into the boot of the cars you're looking at.
Luggage capacity - Altea Ego
Dont worry about it. The SAAB 9-5 Estate luggage space is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE