Dangers of buying an unsorn'd car? - teabelly
The car I am about to get has been off the road for a while but the owner hasn't sorn'd it. The last tax disc expired at least 18 months ago. Now I have set things up so that it will be taxed before I drive it and the date of change of ownership will be after the current end of month. Is there any chance the DVLA would get difficult with me because of the previous lack of tax? I am thinking it would be sensible to photocopy the change of owner slip before sending off the original to the DVLA just in case it does go missing.

Are there any other precautions I should take?
teabelly
Dangers of buying an unsorn'd car? - Hugo {P}
Not sure what the implications are exactly but.

My late mother did a favour in that she organised the sale of a car that belonged to a foreign friend who lived overseas and had no knowledge of the SORN rules.

The car had been parked up in a garage in Falmouth and had not seen the roads for several months.

My mother had organised the car to go to a garage for MOT etc and work, then had found a buyer locally. Apparently the buyer then had a few problems because of this, and I don't think she could actually drive the car for a month or so as a result as she couldn't get insurance or tax.

As I was primarily dealing with my late mother's affairs at the time I'm afraid I didn't pay too much interest in the detail.

If I were you I would contact the DVLA and speak to them.

Hugo
Dangers of buying an unsorn'd car? - Rosanbo
Well if you own a car which is taxed (or not) and then sell it without informing the DVLA that you have sold it. Then if the buyer doesn't tax it, under the new rules You are responsible for the tax on the car.

So make sure you tell them you sold it if you do. Then they send you a letter of confirmation which you keep as proof that you told them you sold it!

I know this all seems like I'm not talking about what you asked, BUT, it seems to me that if the *seller* is responsible for the *future* tax on an undeclared sold vehicle, then in your case the *seller* will surely be responsible for any unsorn'd previous tax applicable and any fine.

In other words you surely will have nothing to worry about.
Dangers of buying an unsorn'd car? - martint123
Depends how long it's been of the road.

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/unlicensed.htm

You only need to make a SORN for a vehicle that had a licence in force on or after 31 January 1998