Italian Driving License - Webbman
Hi all,

I have a friend who has an italian driving license and is using it in the UK, she bought a car in the UK. The problem is that she think she was caught speeding by them speeding camera..what will happen to her license?..will she get 3 points on her italian license as she said they don't have points on license in italy....any ideas?..........whats weird is that she was born in the UK but her dad is italian as she moved over there when she was little and passed her driving test overthere ......

Webbman
Re: Italian Driving License - Tom Shaw
If she is a UK resident rather than a visitor, then she will get points on her licence. I am not sure how things stand now with all this EU integration, but I think the foriegn licence has to be exchanged for a UK licence if you are here for more than a limited period.

Mind you, with only a 1-in-8 chance there was film in the camera she probably has nothing to worry about.
Re: Italian Driving License - Pete Williams
We had a French Au-Pair girl with us over 15 mionths ago who is now a teacher in England. She bought a Fiesta before leaving us and was photographed speeding shortly afterwards. The letter etc duly arrived and she was asked to send her licence off for 3 pts and £60 fine. It was sent back unchanged as they didn't know what to do with it and also sent a note saying that a court case would be brought instead. Our last contact was about two weeks ago and she still hasn't heard any more. She has always forwarded new addresses but still hears nothing. I guess it's been forgotten about - is there a time limit on such things ?
Re: Italian Driving License - Tom Shaw
I think the time limit in which the case must be brought is within six months of a Notice of Intended Prosecution.
Re: Italian Driving License - Andy Bairsto
All they can do is try and fine the car owner ,nothing can happen to her licence.The united Kingdom has no agreement withany eu country,that is why if you get caught speeding by camara you can always say a foriegner was driving.
Re: Italian Driving License - Andrew
NIPs should be served within 14 days of the offence. Information should be laid before the court within 6 months of the offence which is slightly different to summonses being served. So providing the information has been laid summonses can be served after 6 months. Except in the case of Insurance offences which is 12 months.
Any person who decides to become a 'resident' in this country must obtain a UK licence at that point. If they are resident in this country for a period exceeding 12 months they should obtain a UK licence. However if they go home on holiday, say for a week, then the 12 month clock starts again.
The Fixed Penalty procedure allows for a person to pay a Fixed Penalty providing they can surrender a valid Driving Licence within the nominated period. If they are unable to do so, or there are other offences revealed, then Summonses would normally be issued.
As regards the points on the licence. In the absence of a UK licence DVLA will create a Driver Record and points will be added to that record.

Andrew
Re: Italian Driving License - ian (cape town)
I believe this works the other way too.
I hear (locally) that the car hire firms are sick of getting speeding and parking tickets from overseas tourists, and finding that when they try to recover said fines (via credit card machines) that the request for payment is rejected.
As a result, they are informing the foreign licensing authorities of the driver's details and the offence(s) and letting things take their course.
I was told of an English visitor who was then tracked down and given points on his license, sufficient to get him a ban!
This story may be just pub gossip, but it has a certain ring of truth to it.
Re: Italian Driving License - Mark (Brazil)
> As a result, they are informing the foreign licensing
> authorities of the driver's details and the offence(s) and
> letting things take their course.

Now that's a conversation I would pay to overhear...

Someone speaking to the Brazilian Policiar Militar explaining that I was photographed by an English Speed Camera.

That could be *really* fun.
Re: Italian Driving License - John Kenyon
Andrew wrote:
>

> As regards the points on the licence. In the absence of a UK
> licence DVLA will create a Driver Record and points will be
> added to that record.

Which I assume would then be transferred to a UK license if one is
ever issued.

/john