Coolant Flushing Vw Golf - Peterco
Hi
Loooked in the expansion tank the other day, only to see a mess of rusty dark water. The coolant has never been changed, and I am going to change it.
The question I have is, should I use a bottle of these cooling system flushes, or are they a waste of time? I can just as easily put a hose in the radiator etc and flush it that way.

Also how do you get the rest of the flushing chemicals out of the system form behind the thermostat without removing it.
I am worried that this stuff may cause more damage then good!

Also does anybody refil their cooling systems with distilled water?

Thanks for all your help.

Pete
Coolant Flushing Vw Golf - MW
If it is as bad as you say a flush out might be worth it. I once used a two-part pack type, with strong cleaner, and a separate neutraliser that is put in after. However, you perhaps should consider wiping out the thermostat and having a really good go at it. This will also mean that the heater (set on hot) will have a better chance of a clean out. Disconnect top and bottom pipes on the radiator and flush both ways. You could also do this on the heater. When a did use a cleaner, the inside of the brass components were incredibly shiny!
Coolant Flushing Vw Golf - Peterco
Thanks for the advice. Where did you get that 2 part flush from?

Thanks
Pete
It was from the accessory chain 'Charlie Browns' in London. They were tken over by Kwikfit and I think closed. No matter. Maybe Halfords do one. If not, don't be too fussy as the ordinary can of flush is probably fine. Take out the therostat, and flush out the muck. Use the cleaner as as instructed and then have a gentle run in the car. Cool down a bit, big flush out and run engine again. Drain, and refit thermostat (+ new gasket), refill with antifreeze at 40-50% strength. Run engine and bleed any air off. Keep and eye on the system for a week. It may need a top up when very cold and settled, as some air will come out especially after a good fast run. Change antifreeze every 2-3 years and the gunge will not reappear.
Should have added, a smear of vasaline inside rubber coolant pipes 'seals' them and stops them sticking on next time.
Coolant Flushing Vw Golf - Mapmaker
On distilled water, read

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=23...6