Oil Level on Golf TDI '96 - Dante24
Hi, I've had my Golf TDI for around about 9 months and have covered circa 10,000 miles. I check my oil levels regularly but it never seems to go below the recommended level. I usually check it about 10 mins after a run. I have also checked it when cold but don't seem to get different readings. The oil light hasn't flashed or anything but it just seems a bit disconcerting. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
Oil Level on Golf TDI '96 - Hawesy1982
"it never seems to go below the recommended level."

Sorry, why is this disconcerting?

Do you mean that the car is overfilled?

If the oil level is between the MAX and MIN marks you have nothing to worry about.

After 10k miles its time for an oil change anyway, just make sure it is filled to the correct level, and monitor it to make sure it doesn't drop rapidly.
Oil Level on Golf TDI '96 - Dante24
"Sorry, why is this disconcerting?"
I had an Astra before which needed regular topping up every couple of weeks or so. They weren't any oil leaks or anything as I've always looked after my cars. I thought this to be normal and so expected some level of topping up on my Golf. That's why it's a bit disconcerting as I've never topped it up. Also I had the Golf serviced at 75,000 miles so I suppose if it doesn't need topping as much or at all(!) maybe thats why it's always in the correct range. It's only my third car so I am a bit less experienced, especially the previous two (Rover 214) needing regular top ups.
Oil Level on Golf TDI '96 - Hawesy1982
I'm sure it'll be ok, *not* losing oil sounds like an indication that the car runs better than the previous ones to be honest!

It is acceptable to lose enough between services to drop the level from MAX to MIN, but losing none is ideal. Needing a top-up every fortnight sounds a little dodgy to me.