Plastic bumper cleaners - lordwoody
Sorry if this topic has been covered before (I've done a search but come up with nothing) My Saab 9-5 has black plastic inserts in the bumpers and in the past have used a VW bumper cleaner which I read good reports of years ago.
When I ran out recently I couldn't obtain any locally so bought Autoglyms Bumper Care as I've always been impressed with their range. However, after heavy rain last night my newly treated bumpers look terrible, with streaks and runs everywhere. What is the best product for black and dark grey bumpers?
Plastic bumper cleaners - daveyjp
Shoe polish - no joke.
Plastic bumper cleaners - Stuartli
I use AutoGlym's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner, ArmorAll or the Simonez equivalent.

The latter two I've used in the past on black plastic bumpers and body protecters (my current car is all silver so only requires normal car polish) and they have proved excellent in removing car wax, which tends to show up as white marks or streaks, as well as producing a clean, bright finish.

Plastic bumper cleaners - J Bonington Jagworth
"my newly treated bumpers look terrible"

It helps if you polish off the residue afterwards. Most people (including me, until I read the label!) just apply it and leave it, because it appears to work instantly.
Plastic bumper cleaners - lordwoody
Must admit the above is probably where I've erred-also, having now read the label I realise i didn't shake the bottle either-ho hum. Anyway, thanks for tips so far.
Plastic bumper cleaners - THe Growler
Look for "Back To Black". Turtle Wax or Simoniz, can't recall which. Lasts the longest.
Plastic bumper cleaners - AN Other
I've always found Autoglym Bumper Care, used according to the instructions, to be very effective. It's a bit addictive though - once you start using it, you'll want to keep things looking that way...

Two other uses I've found for Bumper Care:

1. It makes a much less shiny, less naff looking form of tyre blacking, if you mix a little with some water and then brush it onto the sidewalls. If you get on the treads as well, handling tends to suffer... I don't normally like tyre dressing at all, but with really dirty, horrid looking tyres it does restore them to a fresher, newer look.

2. If your car is dark coloured and you polish it with a non-coloured polish (like Autoglym super resin), all the stone chips and blemishes are highlighted. A dab of Bumper Care on a cloth and half an hour's work will make them disappear!

Hope this helps!
Plastic bumper cleaners - L'escargot
I use Turtle Wax High Tech Black Chrome Trim & Bumper Polish. It does what it says on the bottle ~ "Restores original colour and lustre to all black trim, tyres and bumpers".
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Plastic bumper cleaners - terryb
Yeah, Back to Black is brilliant, but don't use it on boot liners. Did that on SWMBO's Berlingo and everything slides around like billy-o now!!

--
Terry
Plastic bumper cleaners - MW
I have used Turtlewax 'Back to Black' with good success. Get a plastic bag glove as it is a bit messy, but very good. A bottle lasts for ages.
Plastic bumper cleaners - kithmo
I've used Halford's brand exterior trim cleaner, it's easy to apply and doesn't streak (if you wipe off the excess).
Plastic bumper cleaners - Ivor E Tower
I've also used Autoglym's bumper black and was disappointed at how quickly it seems to wear off, especially if you use an automatic car wash! Simoniz Back to Black appears to be better and that's what I try to use these days.
Plastic bumper cleaners - Mapmaker
Simoniz Back to Black is ideal for polishing rubber riding boots. There is nothing better - I'm told. As the alternative is to use shoe polish, I'm surprised that the praises of shoe polish are sung above for cars.
Plastic bumper cleaners - No Do$h
I don't know what you're all getting so worked up about. Get a little man in for the job. Who cares what he uses?

;o)

I use Halfords exterior trim cleaner to bring the overall blackness back, then 24 hours later use the Autoglym exterior trim cleaner to put a light sheen on the finish. After years of trying different combinations, this gives the most consistent and long lasting finish.

I find black chrome and back to black ok on certain plastics, but not on others. Remember how the R5 plastic bumpers used to fade to light gray if shown more than 3 hours of daylight in any given year? Well the Halford stuff applied liberally and buffed in over several minutes followed by the Autoglym was the only approach that would get it black (well, dark grey) and keep it that way for a couple of months.