Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - Calmorit
Hi, I'm bringing together evidence for a possible legal action against Renault. I've been sold two Espaces with the same rust problem on the window frames. Because the window frames are made of un - galvanized mild steel, they are bound to rust as they have no protection at all. If you've had a similar problem, I'd love to hear from you. Car manufacturers should not sell cars with known problems!
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - Aprilia
Car
manufacturers should not sell cars with known problems!

And the public shouldn't buy them!
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - Imagos
i'm sure Mr Renault family would have an opinion on this.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - Altea Ego
Funny enough no, Tho I can put him in touch with the guy who thought Renault put the wrong gearbox in his car from new.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - DavidHM
What's the basis of your legal action? Not of satisfactory quality, I imagine. The only problem then is a contractual nexus; you don't want to chase every second hand dealer who's sold an Espace as the action would just be too big to manage. Product liability, for which the manufacturer/importer could be more easily held liable, may be difficult unless you can show real loss.

(LOTS of older Renaults have rusty frames around the windows; it's generally only cosmetic though and if we're talking about 10 year old cars then it's not surprising.) When you say Mk III Espace, are we talking the 91-96 shape, or something newer?

Judges tend to be about 30 years behind in terms of their expectations of a car-related contract, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope unless your car actually rusts more than say, an average Morris Marina.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - volvoman
'Judges tend to be about 30 years behind in....'

That's reassuring then!
Might be easier to just get rid of the Espace and buy something that doesn't rust.
Hi, Thanks for your interest. The Mark III is the model before the present one on the market. The car was registered under a 2002/52 plate, replacing a 2002/02 Espace, which had the same problem, but more significantly a self detonating air bag, which s***tered the driver's window, showering me in glass. I'm led to believe that the window frames are made of un-galvanized steel and are just waiting to rust ~ a design fault I'd say?!

Cheers, Chris.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - Ivor E Tower
Eh? Most cars are made from ungalvanised steel and as long as it is properly treated (eg good quality primer and then good quality of paint application), the mild steel will not rust. I doubt that any legal action will get you very far - I suspect that you have just been unlucky and had 2 cars on which the paint treatment was substandard.
Thanks for your thoughts ~ I would argue though that the window frames have not been treated properly, Renault have known this for years allegedly and done nothing about it.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - carl_a
May I ask Calmorit, if you had problems with the last Espace why did you have another ?
Yes, I've asked the same question. The dealership/Renault wouldn't budge on returning my money, so a compromise of an upgrade was made, but of course the upgrade had inherent problems.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - daveyK_UK
why are people buying renaults?

especially the espace, looks very classy but will the new one take the daily use of a large family - i have big doubts.
Renault Espace Mark III Window rust - mbrocklebank
Hi There,
My espace is 11 months (2.2 Dci Grand) only and this morning discovered rust on the roof. Its where the roof and side panel joins (where sliding the roof bar rails are). Its on both sides of the car. Not somewhere stone chips can get. Also the screws holding the roof bars in are rusting! I'm going down to my local renault dealer tomorrow to get the problem verified as per the warrentee and then depending on the reaction by renault, I might go down the legal route. Not sure what my rights are to a replacement new car if the rust is on major structural joins on a less than year old car.