Cat D insurance loss impact - pch
I purchased a car which was a category D insurance loss about a year ago and it's time to sell it as I need space for a growing family. The car has been inspected by the local dealership and I have had no problems with it, or any concerns over the cars safety or general condition.

I would prefer to px it at a dealer. What impact can I expect the cat D status to have on the price?
Cat D insurance loss impact - martint123
Depends on how old I guess.
I doubt a dealer would be interested at all.
Value - I guess half of book price. May be difficult finding someone to buy it.

I've got one as well, but bought it to to keep it as it was 'half of book price'

Martin
Cat D insurance loss impact - pch
I bought mine to keep too, and it was very cheap - but circumstances change and my wife wants an MPV...

I guess you're right, I'll look to sell it privately and see how I get on.
Cat D insurance loss impact - Dazz
I used to buy ,repair and then sell damaged cars but stopped as they were becoming very difficult to sell even though they were done to the highest possible standard.
As far as valuation goes i would say a little more than half book price if the repairs were done correctly
Cat D insurance loss impact - DavidHM
Of course, there's always the chance that a private buyer won't bother getting an HPI done. While you can't lie if asked about it, you don't have to disclose it unless asked - I don't think it's on the V5 or any other documentation, but I could be wrong.(Dealers always will as they have a subscription that makes the marginal cost of an HPI search little or nothing).
Cat D insurance loss impact - daveyK_UK
where about do you pick up cat d cars?
I dont mean the hundreds of companys in the back of the auto trader but direct from the insurance companies? Do they have an auction?
Cat D insurance loss impact - Dazz
Damaged cars are sold at auction try www.universalsalvage.co.uk
Cat D insurance loss impact - Hugo {P}
A dealer may be interested even if he knows it's a cat D.

He has the option of putting it through normal auction. There are so many public at auctions wanting to get a good deal these days that he may get a good price for it.

Alternitively you could put it through with a sensible reserve and see what happens.

I suspect a lot will depend on what make and model it is. If it's a BMW 5 or 7 series, you may do very well. If it's a Rover 400 the story may be a little different

Hugo