Short holidays and SORN - J Bonington Jagworth
We have one of our cars parked in the drive at the moment, having a month off, as we sometimes do (no, really, officer). It seems silly to declare SORN if it's going back on the road in a fortnight, but I assume that if we don't, we will get clobbered by the new regs. Can we still apply early for the tax to run from next month, and will that cover it?

Apologies if the answer to this is already here somewhere - I just haven't seen it.
Short holidays and SORN - Dwight Van Driver
JBJ

If the Licence of the vehicle on the drive expired 29.2.04 and you have not declared SORN then you could be for the high jump whether or not you intend to re-license from 1.4.04. This is one of the reasons for SORN being brought in to stop people making a 12 month Licence into 13 .

To get out of this quandry then suggest you can either try a delayed SORN (could be problems) or re-license taking in duty from 1.3.04 to current date. Do it now for to delay you could be caught in the monthly sweep and an 80 quid fine.

You can re-license early from 15th day of month but only if there is no break in between. Otherwise it is 2 days only.

www.tinyurl.com/jmoq

DVD
\" but only if there is NO break.....\"

(Oh for an edit button Mods)

DVD

I changed it for you. I have an edit button, its one of the few advantages of being a moderator and I\'m not sharing - nyaah nyaah. M.
"Otherwise it is 2 days only."

So I could relicence on the 29th, although risk the monthly sweep, or is the fine then automatic on admission of the gap?

Not trying to stretch a point - just not quite clear on the rules. I appreciate the help.
Short holidays and SORN - Robbie
You can also tax your vehicle up to six weeks before the expiry of your RFL. You will have to do this through your local head post office - at least I did - and write a letter explaining the circumstances.

I suppose it may also be possible through your local DVLA office.
JBJ

If you intend to relicence from 1.4.04 leaving a gap of March unsorned/untaxed then you are going to get hit with the new 80quid fine.

You can only (other than Robbie states) relicence early if there is no break in licensing. Otherwise then you can only apply for a Licence two days before it is required. i.e. midnight 29/30th for a 1.4.04 Licence.

DVD
Thanks, DVD. If only the published regs were as clear...
JBJ

Of interest to you:

www.tinyurl.com 2o98v

Note DVLA have allowed an extra month - they were going to do this cull every month.

The rest of you note - planned is a Death Certificate for motor vehicles?

DVD
... or even www.tinyurl.com/2o98v

DVD
Short holidays and SORN - Peter D
News this morning 180,000 fines being issued today by DVLA so they appear to have allows 14 days grace. It sounds like your on the list and a SORN registration only costs a stamp !! BXXXXR !!
Short holidays and SORN - commerdriver
You can declare SORN on the phone if you are the registered keeper. They send you a letter confirming it.