Service Timing - kennybase
I'm driving a Land Rover Discovery (for work - not my choice!!) and in the last 15months its done 2500miles - but Land Rover are saying that it needs to be serviced to keep the warranty in force.

My problem is the low mileage means that I don't think that it should be serviced yet! What do other BRs think about this? Am I just being over cautious, and are LR just trying to get more money out of the small company I work for?

Service Timing - patently
Not everything deteriorates with mileage. Some things are time-related and will need attention by now.

Oil and brake fluids spring to mind, but no doubt the clever members of the BR will be able to put me right.
Service Timing - Dynamic Dave
Small annual mileages can do just as much damage as high annual milages if you disregard servicing.

For instance, the oil is more than likely to be contaminated with water and thus leaving a lovely layer of mayonaise on the oil filler cap.

Brakes have had little use and the capillers could be partially siezed.

Many other factors as well.

Sometimes also known as the "District nurse" car syndrome. Low mileage but also neglected - the car, not the nurse!!
Service Timing - SlidingPillar
I will be getting my Defender serviced next time on age, not milage as I will not be doing 12000 miles in a year. However I fully expect to exceed your milage.

I would seriouly wonder if you ever get the engine warm.

At this time of year, the TD5 engine takes 5 miles to warm up fully, and I doubt the V8 is warm until you have done 3.

2500 miles in 15 months is less than 10 miles per working week.

If the usuage is that small, but regular (ie unlke a car stored) it perhaps needs to be serviced more, not less often!

At the risk of being rude, you don't want a car, you need a bicycle!
Service Timing - Alfafan {P}
2500 miles in 15 months is less than 10 miles per
working week.

15 months is 65 weeks, therefore mileage per working week is 38.46

It's the accountant in me ;)
Service Timing - SlidingPillar
So maths isn't my strong point....

However I still think my basic point about usuage is reasonable. My pedal cycle milage was more as a student.

Service Timing - kennybase
Thanks for the replies.

I know the car hasn't been used for long - but in the last 2 weeks of me joining the small company, I've managed to complete 15% of the total cars mileage - taking it on long runs across the country for work etc.

In response about using a bicycle - I'd agree, but using the back of a bike to put a weeks supply from the cash and carry for a busy restaurant isn't really practical :-p

The owners bought the car for its size - can get all the shopping in, and also take 7 of the staff home at the end of the night - but he's scared of driving it too much as he finds it too big - D'OH!!! I too prefer my nippier car, but when work calls - I'll use it!!!

It's going in for its service tomorrow!