Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - HF
Don't know if anyone can help, but my Astra had a period of about 6 or 7 months where it was doing a lot more travelling than it was used to. Whereas usually it only has short local journeys, it has been subjected to tearing around the country and adding maybe 8-10,000 miles to it over the last few months, compared to my usual perhaps maximum 3,000 per year, local hops.

What I am trying to find out is how urgent is it now for me to get a cam-belt change? The last one was done about 2 years before I got the car,(which I got about a year and a half ago) and in those 2 years it had done very small mileage also.

I am asking this because I am unexpectedly rather strapped for cash, but at the same time need my car like a baby needs its bottle!

Before reading this site, I had never heard of cam-belts, cam-belt failures, or anything like that. So, can I carry on and be at little risk, or is it something I must do?

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I *would* be grateful for any replies. Unless they are telling me I have to fork out immediately, of course ;)

Thanks to anyone that might be able to offer a bit of insight.
HF
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - googolplex
All I can say, from the point of view of one who suffered in the past, is that its never too early to swap the cambelt. I used to get mine done using manufacturer recommendations and it broke snapped about 10K before another change was due causing £700 of damage - mild costs in comparison with some, so I subsequently gather. The fact that I was following Ford's recommended service pattern was of no consequence to them on a 5 year old car and they didn't want to know. Since then I've gone for chain cams on principle.
Sorry, HF, not what you want to hear, but in these cash strapped days, it might pay to be prudent and spend a little now.
Splodgeface
Ok thank you Splodgeface, I will start saving now!

Regards,
HF
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - Cliff Pope
It would be worth getting the Haynes manual and finding out how to do it yourself. Most cars are not very difficult, and the belts themselves are only about £15.
HJ recommends a 40,000 mile interval for most cars,I think, regardless of what the manufacturers say.
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - mark
Hello HF

I used to have one of these and the cambelt was if IRC every 45k, I cannot remember the time element but definately every 45k according to the handbook.

I had 3 belts changed in 100k but bear in mind the water pump went 200 miles after the second belt was changed at 90k. This meant another new belt and waterpump plus the associated costs (about £200 IIRC). I put this down to the belt being incorrectly tensioned at the 90k change but the VX garage reckoned all astra waterpumps were on borrowed time after 80k. If the pump was that shot surely they would have seen it when they did the 2nd belt change ho hum.

So if you do get it done the extra £35 for a new waterpump is worth considering.

Looking at your post it seems unlikely you have done 45k since the last belt change, just listen out for clicking, rumbling or squealing coming from under the cambelt cover.

as always

Mark
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall recommend changing the belt every 4 years or 40,000 miles - whichever comes sooner. However I'm not sure if this is a recommendation for petrol engines only, or includes diesels as well.
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - DL
I'm pretty sure it is for both diesels and petrols Dave
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - NormanB
HF

The diesel engine cambelt arrangement is probably hugely different to the 1.4i petrol but here goes anyways.

I carried out what I considered to be major servicing on our Astra last year and because of the engine layout and not wanting to go back there if you know what I mean I did the following in carrying out a premptive timing belt change.

1. Timing belt.
2. Timing Belt Tensioner.
3. Thermostat.
4. Waterpump.
5. Little bitty hose at the back of waterpump area (?)
6. Clean, flush of waterside and replenish with new Antifreeze/inhibitor mix.

I also bought a water pump tool.

Total Parts in the region of £70 + £25 for the tool. The timing belt was a £10 (The Antifreeze cost me a tenner too).

Whatever, I would recommend you get a Haynes (some local libraries have them) and assess if it is a job that you can handle - if it is bite the bullet and get on with it. If you have not done it before I would allow a full working day and if possible start on a Friday early evening - so you have the option of getting additional parts and supplies on Staurday - if required).

Good Luck

NormanB
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - Hugo {P}
Many people change the cam belt in their car as soon as they get them, regardless of what the service history says.

If you go by that logic, then you should have done it when you bought the car. However 2 years after, I don't think you're throwing your money away, quite the opposite in fact!

If you're unfamiliar with it, it's worth getting an experienced mechanic to do it for a couple of hours labour. I understand they're not difficult, but I would rather earn the money working on someone's house for that time and then hand it to the mechanic.

Thing is, can you do a few hours overtime doing what you're skilled at and let the mechanic take care of the car for you?

Hugo
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - paulc924
I used to own an F-reg 1.7 Cavalier and after assessing the ease of cam-belt change I did it myself according to Haynes. Marked the pulley positions and then slackened the water pump via 3 Allen bolts which allow it to turn and release the cam-belt tension. After the old belt is removed, the new one is put on and tensioned via rotation of the slackened water pump which is then tightened up again. If you don't have the right tool it is not that easy to rotate the pump but it can be done with care using Mole grips. The engine was rotated several times by hand, boxed in and then started without any problems. The next day my son asked me why the car was leaking water and on investigation the problem was with the water pump which had been fine up till then. Took guards off again, marked up the pulley positions, and removed the belt and pump. A check of the pump revealed that it was not leaking from the spindle but via the O-ring which seals it into the engine. This had failed because it had been rotated. No O ring was available that Sunday morning, and in view of the mileage at the time I chose to put a new water pump on. At the next belt change I gently prised off the old belt and prised on the new one ( not allowing any components to rotate of course)without any problems-I know that this may not be the correct method but it was done this way another twice on the J-reg that I bought afterwards. By the way the J-reg was sold to a taxi driver and the last time I saw it there was over 400,000 miles on the clock without any problems. If you are not confident in doing this job yourself I would have thought that it should be done for £80-£100. Get it done and avoid an expensive repair bill. Cheers.
Astra 1.7D J reg cam-belt change - DL
Ah, yeah...on the GM engine, when the pump is rotated, the o ring seal more often than not rips....causing a water leak.

It's considered good practice to replace the pump on these engines...saves a lot of heartache the next day!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Hello all,

Many thanks for all these useful replies - have been offline for a few days and so have only just gained access to the site.

Reading through all this carefully, it is going to be way above my head to handle anything like this! (My limit is checking the oil). But I do take the point that it's pretty important to get it done as soon as possible.

I'll print out your tips and hints and maybe ask the local mechanic for a quote. Although i know it's beyond my financial means just now, and probably for quite some time to come!

Thanks to you all.
HF