I have a question Volume 35 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 36 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20157

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 35. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

Satellite TV Reception - Channel Five - malteser
I live in the Costa del Sol and we have a Sky TV system,(yes, I know we are not supposed to have Sky outside the UK), and I pay Sky for their most basic package which includes BBC1, BBC2, ITV, BBC Three, BBC Four and Channel Five plus a few other miscellaneous bits & bobs.
Suddenly and for no apparent reason, we can no longer receive Five, (and some of the more "exotic" channels). Up comes the "no satellite signal is being received" message although both signal strength and quality are O.K.
We have made no changes to our (communal) 1.5 metre dish which we need as we are on the limit of the "footprint" for Sky, but I am puzzled why this sudden and unnanounced cessation of reception for Five has occurred. Have any of our backroom experts any suggestions, please?
Roger.
Satellite TV Reception - Channel Five - Dynamic Dave
Malteser,

Have you tried reseting the system by removing the viewing card and unplugging from the mains for at least 10 seconds - then plugging it back in, and finally inserting your viewing card?
Satellite TV Reception - Channel Five - SpamCan61 {P}
This subject features very regularly on various internet newsgroup; I'd take a look at uk.tech.tv.sky; plus there is probably some info over on the forums at www.satcure.co.uk/
Satellite TV Reception - Channel Five - malteser
Thanks for the advice. I have posted my ? on the news group (first time I have bothered configuring a news account!) and also on the Satcure forum.
I live in hope (no NOT in Derbyshire before someone says it!) - though not a lot !
Roger.
New CD may not work - Altea Ego
"Mondeo man has lost his music. And not just Mondeo man - anyone who has bought a new car and wants to play a CD has been borked. That new CD is only half a CD, and in the half where it counts, it doesn't work."

www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/35545.html
New CD may not work - tunacat
"In order to offer the consumers greater choice and a better package..."

Homer - type shudder) Phrases like that always set my alarm bells ringing...!
New CD may not work - 3500S
The copy protection can easily be overridden, there are plenty of tools on the net that can do it. It's not difficult to create a mirror copy without the copy protection on the CD. If you already own the CD you are not breaking the law to make a copy and I am not condoning copyright theft either.

This is seriously going to backfire on the record companies.

Buy a new CD player to play new CDs?

Yeah right.
New CD may not work - J Bonington Jagworth
Nothing to stop you playing the CD in your home system and recording it onto tape, of course. Sometimes the old technology works in your favour!
New CD may not work - THe Growler
"In order to offer the consumers greater choice and a better package" - you beat me to it LOL! As with my UK bank, usually resulting in a carpier product.

Since I discovered WinMx I haven't bought a single CD. It's these daft issues which encourage "illegal" copying, not control it.
I saw that, too, RF. The comment that got me was "The CD player he has got in his car is not actually, initially supposed to play audio CDs." - I notice the record industry spokesman responsible chose not to expand on this...
New CD may not work - Altea Ego
the thing that gets my goat is we get a standard for once (audio cds) that worked first time in everyones players, has worked great for years and then they start to tinker. When will they realise to stop piracy price the ****** things at the right price and no one will pirate. I was fuming when the record industry said "its ok to price CDs heigher than Vynil because the sound quality is better" THIEVES I SAY.
New CD may not work - Kevin
I was
fuming when the record industry said "its ok to price CDs
heigher than Vynil because the sound quality is better"

Those who've listened to good vinyl on a good deck wouldn't touch CDs if it wasn't for the convenience.

Kevin...
New CD may not work - clariman
Those who've listened to good vinyl on a good deck wouldn't
touch CDs if it wasn't for the convenience.
Kevin...

Rice Krispies fans perhaps?
New CD may not work - Kevin
Rice Krispies fans perhaps?

If you've got snap, crackle and pop it ain't good vinyl clariman.

Kevin...
New CD may not work - AdrianM
"Those who've listened to good vinyl on a good deck wouldn't touch CDs if it wasn't for the convenience."

Completely agree.

When I play Flag by Yello on my record deck I wonder why I ever bothered with a CD player...........until I remember that CD's don't need turning every 20mins, don't need taping to play in the car, are difficult to scratch, and even work covered with jam.
"Those who've listened to good vinyl on a good deck wouldn't touch CDs if it wasn't for the convenience."

Yes, but how many listen to CD's on equivalent quality equipment? I only mention it because almost all recording is now done digitally, even the stuff that ends up on vinyl...
New CD may not work - Kevham
Evenin' all,
Over the past few months I've made an effort to replace all original CD's in my CD wallets in my car with copies. I currently have two CD wallets to choose from; one with 15 CD's and one with 35 CD's.

Now I never have any worries about keeping CD's scratch free (as the originals don't leave their plastic cases) and if some scallywag and/or tea-leaf were to break into my car I wouldn't lose £500 of lovely music. Using up-to-date CD buring software means I can also put on CD text so my car CD player is able to tell me the artist and track I'm listening to. Which is nice, if a little pointless.
New CD may not work - Ben {P}
The vinyl does have technical limitations as well. Lower frequencies can be recorded onto cd than vinyl.

Many recording on vinyl are better than their cd counterparts, but this is largely due to the quality of the mastering from the original recording medium.

Has anyone here got an MP3 player in there car? Not my cup of tea, but i can forsee a time when many will want it.
New CD may not work - THe Growler
The vinyl does have technical limitations as well. Lower frequencies can
be recorded onto cd than vinyl.
Many recording on vinyl are better than their cd counterparts, but
this is largely due to the quality of the mastering from
the original recording medium.

I do agree with this. My extensive jazz collection on vinyl is far more "velvet" in quality than the CD reissues, which sound harsh and intrusive by comparison. MJQ anyone? Oops non-motoring, apologies.
New CD may not work - Mark (RLBS)
Please keep to motoring.
New CD may not work - Sooty Tailpipes
I'm young enough to have never owned a record player :o)
A few years ago, I'd had enough of the price of CDs in the UK, and when my hifi broke I never replaced it, I just kept the speakers, bought an amp, and used a laptop with mp3s on it. The lap top is now long gone, but I still use a computer for all the music and only listen to streaming radio. I dont have a radio in the house either.

In the car, I have a CD autochanger and make my own CD compilations for it, I have never looked back. I have no issues about the quality, I have a high quality factory system in the car, and while it does sound better with real CDs, rather than mp3 to AIFF ones, I can't justify the expense.

Have you seen those in car CD autochanger emulators? They're a small box which you plug tnto the CD autochanger lead, and they accept the same control commands, but play mp3s stored on a hard disk, I think SONY do them, still a bit expensive though.
New CD may not work - Ben {P}
For an example of a superb old recording that was originally released on vinyl check out track 8 Tenderly, on Duke Ellington Indigos, Columbia re-issues cat no. ck4444. Wonderful, and recorded in 1957!!
New CD may not work - Welliesorter
Has anyone here got an MP3 player in there car?

Yes. A surprising number of car CD players will now play MP3s from a CD-R or CD-RW. It's an ideal solution for the car because you can easily get 10 hours onto one CD. I think it's far less hassle than installing and loading up a CD changer.

Some car players will also take a memory card of the type used in digital cameras, but you can get a lot less music on one, and it's a much more expensive form of storage than a recordable CD.

New CD may not work - Chris - nearly an ex-pat...
Hi WellieSorter. Interested in your comment about some car players taking memory cards. Which ones exactly? For many years I\'ve been recording Beeb radio plays using my home hifi cassette deck, and then replaying them in the car. But now needing to upgrade the car, and find just about ALL new car\'s have CD or DVD only. Cassette players are not even an option....

What I\'d like to see is two units - one Recorder at home to let me record radio progs in MP3 format direct to a memory stick, and an MP3 Player in the car that I can plug the memory stick into. Are such units available now? Or will they be in the near future?

I know I can use the net to d/l radio progs live, and then convert them to MP3 and then burn them to CD. But what a palaver all that is.....
New CD may not work - Sooty Tailpipes
Chiris, what about minidisc?
I don't know about factory fitted head units but they sell them in most car audio places eg...
www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD...1

You can buy a minidisc recording portable stereo radio for about £50 from Comet/Currys, or a personal walkman sized one for a bit more.
The discs are also cheap and can be bought from the supermarket, they're also re-usable.
New CD may not work - Chris - nearly an ex-pat...
You're right sooty, maybe that's the way to go. But I can see that the speed which flash memory products are replacing other mediums makes me think that MiniDiscs are on the way out like cassettes...
New CD may not work - Welliesorter
Hi WellieSorter. Interested in your comment about some car players taking
memory cards. Which ones exactly?

Several manufacturers make players that play MP3s (and sometimes WMAs) from a CD. These are so common now that you'll find a choice of several in Argos and Halfords. I have a Sony which I bought from www.mobiletoys.co.uk . It treats each directory (or folder) on the disc as a separate album, so it behaves a bit like a CD changer.

Memory card players are less common. I don't know how many manufacturers make them but Blaupunkt is one example. See www.bluespot.co.uk/mp3.asp or www.blaupunkt.co.uk for details. The Blaupunkt players use MMC or SD cards. The cards are cheaper than they used to be (in fact I've just checked the prices at www.7dayshop.com and been pleasantly surprised) and many new PCs now come with slots to take them. Memory Sticks are a Sony invention. I don't know whether any car players use them.

I still don't think it's any more hassle to burn an MP3 CD than to record a cassette or copy files onto a memory card, and I still have an ancient 8 speed CD rewriter. Blank discs cost pennies and store 700 MB. A 256 MB MMC at 7dayshop.com costs £54.99.

Using the MP3 CD method, I can store the equivalent of dozens of CDs in my car and it would cost only two or three pounds to replace them if they were to get lost or damaged.

As for radio plays in the car, see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=14...4
This was part of a discussion entitled 'Good old-fashioned cassettes which resulted in my discovering a way of recording radio programmes from the net to play back in the car. I've used this method a number of times now. If you want to turn the files into MP3, this is a quick and easy operation using CDex from cdexos.sourceforge.net .
Att all plumbers - Altea Ego
Ok there seems to be lots of nous on plumbing here. I am quite good on plumbing but this one has me baffled.

Toilet Pan. The normal water level in the pan seems to have dropped. Its not leaking (fill it to its natural level slowly and it stays there all night). Flush the cistern and the level in the pan is now two inches lower than it used to be (only last week) Checked the drain (by lifting the manhole) its not blocked so I dont think its "syphoning"

Any ideas?
I have a Plumbing Question Thread 393437 - Hugo {P}
RF

It sounds like your cistern is chucking water into your pas so fast that it is actually forcing some out and over the U bend that would normally be retained in the pan.

Have you found your syphon in your cistern behaving differently lately?

You may have freed a partial blockage or restriction in the water way between the cistern and the pan, I assume it's a close coupled system?

Also, do you use the water fresheners that sit in the cystern? This may have previously been stuck and has now moved around or freed itself.

Or have you replaced your syphon recently?

Hugo
I have a Plumbing Question Thread 393437 - Altea Ego
no changes to toilet at all.....
I have a Plumbing Question Thread 393437 - wemyss
Is it a ground or first floor toilet.
If its a first floor one does the soil pipe go out through the external wall into a soil stack running down the side of the house.
Is it close coupled, low level with flush pipe, or high level cistern.
I have a Plumbing Question Thread 393437 - henry k
Is it close coupled, low level with flush pipe, or high
level cistern.

>>
Or like mine a close coupled double trap syphonic suite.
These are a bit more prone to to block and to give the lower water level problem.

How old is the toilet 10 ? 20? years old.
A further check for which you need an assistant.
Lift the manhole cover and stand guard.
Then get someone to flush the toilet.
You should of course get an almost immediate rush of water into the inspection chamber.
Is the toilet on the ground floor or an upper floor?
Is this the only toilet discharging into the soil pipe?
I do not have an answer at present but you answers may point to the problem.
Bungalow, ground floor, wall mounted cistern with flush pipe (not close coupled or high level) soil pipe goes down into floor and into drain right outside, with inspection cover over it. Lifted cover, seeems ok, not flushed yet with cover off.
If you do as Henry suggests and flush the toilet with the manhole cover off and this time the level does not drop it may be that your drainage system is not being vented.
This can cause a slight vacuum and pull some of the water out of the trap.
The venting in older properties was a pipe take from the drain and run a few feet up the external wall terminating in a grille with a mica flap which allowed air to be pulled into the drain.
Flushing with the cover off will of course do the same thing.
Try this first before we have to think of other reasons.
Try this first before we have to think of other reasons.

>>
Alvin and I are assuming you are on a mains sewer.
If so is it shared or is it just for your property?
Do you have any other covers along the route to the main sewer in the road? If so are you able to lift these too?
We await your answers before our next suggestion.
At least you have a simple toilet.

Alvin. I assume you saw the Adski final report.
A most odd outcome!!!
>Alvin. I assume you saw the Adski final report.
>A most odd outcome!!!

No have just searched for it with no luck. His last comments were on a near death experience in the loft.?. I thought he might be sueing us.
>Alvin. I assume you saw the Adski final report.
>A most odd outcome!!!
No have just searched for it with no luck. His last
comments were on a near death experience in the loft.?. I
thought he might be sueing us.

>>
Oh it is obvious!!!!
Try "Why is the Ford Focus so good"
He survived.
Ree loo - fixed - blockage further down sewer. Lifting trap and getting loo flushed diagnosed it.

Wierd effect tho. Flush loo, half way thro flush a big backwash comes back up the main drain, fills inspection chamber (its quite big)goes down quite suddenly and syphons the water out the pan outlet as it goes down, and seconds later the chamber is empty again! Looks like no blockage!

all working hunky dory now tho
all working hunky dory now

>>
The effect you found was beautifully described.
The problem was as I expected but I did not want to spoil your evening with the thought of a blockage clearing Sat morning.

The cause of the blockage can be a " Roding eye cover" falling into the gulley.
This problem would occur in the last intercept before the road.
You may find a circular hole above the gulley which should have a "plug" in it. If the plug is missing then best to get one.

A happy ending and a free service.
The blockage was in the last inspection chamber before it falls into main sewer. The fall pipe into main sewer - the lower section of the pipe sits slightly proud of the concrete channel in the chamber. seems things get caught on there - looked like it had been building for years - wont tell you what it looked like in there! Anway 12 quid for a set of rods verses 300 quid for a cowboy drain cleaner seemed like a good deal to me - despite the yukiness of the job.
Glad you are flushed with success. When you are showered down you have plenty of change from £300 to dine in style.

The problem was where I expected it.
It is probably worth a six month service but in any case you are now aware of the remote visual indicator.

Re another thread, would you have attempted to deal with it yesterday?

As they say "Been there......"
I was presented with an UPSTAIRS toilet not flushing.
The inspection pit was 20 feet away and deep. I had to break into the cast iron soil pipe at ground level. With a 10 feet head of pressure......say no more.
Cause of the problem? A little xxxx had flushed a 13A adapter round the bend.

I assume you are aware of the need to always rotate the rods clockwise.

Your inspection covers should obviously be airtight and I think this helped produce the symtoms.

I think you did well to spot the problem at quite an early stage.
>I assume you are aware of the need to always rotate the rods clockwise.

Oh yes. As a small child I had great fun watching our next door neigbour spending days diggin up his sewers after he turned the rods the wrong way and lost sections of rod deep underground...............
Att all plumbers - Cardew
Doesn't the moon affect the level, or is that only the tide?
Scale Insects - Jane
I have a lemon tree that has been spewing forth lemons quite happily for the last 2/3 years. Last summer (while it was being kept outside) I noticed it had an infestation of these critters and spent the next 3 hours getting rid of them by squashing and blasting with the hose.

Question 1: Why do lemon trees have spikes? (my fingers were shredded by the time I'd finished)

Question 2: Bearing in mind that we use the lemons is there any non chemical way to get rid of scale insects without going to the lengths I did?

Your suggestions kindly received

--
Fill what's empty, empty what's full and scratch where it itches!
Scale Insects - PhilW
Find a friendly pipe smoker, fill his pipe with St Bruno and get him (or her!) to puff smoke all over the plant! You will see the insects fall off the plant (coughing!)
Alternatively, put the plant in a big plastic bag, or greenhouse and stick a few fags in the pot, light and leave to burn.
A friend of mine is always plagued with greenfly in his greenhouse and reckons I don't get them because I smoke my pipe in the greenhouse while tending the plants!!
Scale Insects - Dude - {P}
If you`re a non smoker, then maybe it would be easier to borrow one of those smoke puffers as used by beekeepers.
Scale Insects - Jane
Thanks, will give it a go!

--
Scale Insects - PhilW
"If you`re a non smoker, then maybe it would be easier to borrow one of those smoke puffers as used by beekeepers."

Don't forget though, that it is the nicotine that kills them rather than just smoke so you would need to burn tobacco. You can soak tobacco (or tab ends?) in water, strain it and spray on but preferably before the fruit forms? There are also several organic insecticides (based on soap and "fatty acids") which are effective against greenfly etc and you can just use soapy waater but I think scale insects may be more resistant. A visit to local garden centre and a good read of the labels on various products may be worthwhile.
Amazing revelation - frostbite
I'm sure you will be thankful for my sharing this with you:-

Apparently, there are people who collect tax discs*. There is a recognised name for this - Velology.

Must be followed by those who find stamp collecting too exciting!

* There's a thought for the other type of td collector - 'I am a compulsive velologist m'lud'.
Credit Card Fraud. - Dwight Van Driver
As a member of Nat. Ass of Retired Police Officers from time to time I get information on various items.

Below, with the permission of HJ and The Mods, is a scam doing the rounds that is relatively so simple that people apparently are falling for it. So be aware and tell your friends.

MASTERCARD and VISA.

Basically a household will receive a call from the bogus 'Security and Fraud Department' at VISA or MASTERCARD saying that your card has been flagged for an unusual spending pattern and they are calling to verify its authenticity.

The caller will say that an item for just under £500 has been purchased using your card. When you confirm that you haven't purchased anything the caller says they will issue a credit to your account. They then ask you to confirm your address.

You will be told that a fraud investigation will commence and if you have any queries to ring the number on the back of the card and ask for the security section quoting a reference number they give you. You are then asked to verify you are in possession of your card and you are asked to read the security number on the back of your card.

The caller sounds very genuine and tells you to call the number on the back of the card if you have any questions. This is a genuine number but by the time you have rang the number the card will have been used to purchase some expensive items.

Lancashire Constabulary Credit Card Fraud team have checked this with VISA and they tell us that this is definitely a scam. VISA would never ask for this number. You are advised not to give this number out to a caller claiming to be from VISA or MASTERCARD.

If you are in any doubt about callers or e-mails then check them out on a number you know to be authentic before giving any information. Treat the call or e-mail as suspicious until you have checked it out.

DVD
Credit Card Fraud. - Hugo {P}
Thanks for that DVD.

Had a similar call a few weeks ago regarding a credit card that I no longer use.

Thinking about it they did not ask for any of my details or security number, they just confirmed my name.

I have since closed the card down.

Hugo
Credit Card Fraud. - Armitage Shanks{P}
DVD. Thanks for your very full explanation of this scam and I understand what you say about not giving out security numbers PINs or whatever to anyone. It is not clear to me how, in the circumstances you describe, these people would get your telephone number to call you or the 16 digit (4 blocks of 4) number on the front of your credit card. There must be a lot more 'behind the scenes' work going on to set this up. Please can you expand on this for us?
Credit Card Fraud. - Brill {P}
Mmmm, my statement this month contained £4,000 worth of internet purchases (not mine, have never used that card for internet purchases).
Four of the items on the same day were all for the same amount, about £871, you'd think the retailer would spot something odd about these transactions.
Credit Card Fraud. - Cardew
Some while ago goods that were ordered by phone or on the Internet would only be delivered the registered address of the credit card. That restriction has now been dropped.

I have had my card used for goods of which I have had no knowledge. I challenged the transaction and, after several weeks, was sent an invoice for(believe it or not) dozens of pairs of size seven slippers ordered from the USA. The invoice gave neither a name or an address - just my card number. The credit card company claimed this was proof and implied that I had either forgotten about the transaction or friends/family had used my card. The credit card company refused to tell me to which address the goods were delivered and eventually the transaction was cancelled.

My daughter had her card used for hundreds of pounds of telephone calls to a sex line over a period of a couple of weeks. Usually in the early hours and obviously not from her phone.

I understand that in cases like this the Card Company stand the loss. What I fail to understand is why it is not policy for me to be informed where the goods were sent - as if it were friends/family I might recognise the address. Similarly daughter was not told the tel number(s) used for the calls.

Surely the onus must be on the firm supplying the 'goods' to give addresses(and phone Nos) and thus investigating the fraud would be simplified.

Or am I missing something?
Credit Card Fraud. - johnwharrison
The number on the signature strip of your card contains your 16 digit card number and a few security digits at the end
Credit Card Fraud. - THe Growler
I would add one more caveat, and that is never use your debit card (i.e. Barclays Connect etc) over the internet. Never mind the BS about how their site is secure etc etc. The answer is no site is 100% secure.

I was taken for $14,000 worth of fraud direct from my bank account, all incurred in Taiwan, a country I visit often but have never used that particular card in. The debit card issuer and my bank were totally uncooperative in resolving the matter and more or less called me a liar until I got Gerry my attorney to set the dogs on them and publish my experiences in the media.

Since then I have never used my card on the net. At least with a charge card you have the opportunity to dispute your bill, with a debit card you are up the proverbial creek without the needful.
Cold hard cash -- the only way to go.
Credit Card Fraud. - Dwight Van Driver
Sorry AS. They didn't include any information from a wet towel, bull whip, nail removing session. That posted was all I got.

DVD
Credit Card Fraud. - pdc {P}
To be honest I suspect that this is yet another hoax (police have been known to unwittingly assist in spreading hoaxes in the past!), but the underlying message is the important thing. Always verify that the person who has called you is who they claim to be.

When I call my bank they always ask me the same old questions, date of birth, school, place of birth etc, which IMHO is not secure at all given that every organisation asks those questions. but they do ask me for 2 characters from my 13 character password. Thing is, when they call me they don't go through that procedure, or at least they didn't until I insisted on it.

18 months ago, I helped a friend by calling her ex and pretending to be from the CSA. I had witnessed her receiving calls from the CSA and knew that they asked for DOB and address. So I asked him the same questions, and I guess that he thought I was genuine, given that he was very forthcoming for 10 minutes. Legal, probably not, but neither is lying to the CSA, which is what he was doing.
Credit Card Fraud. - Hugo {P}
As I understand, the 16 didget numbers are found by these con artists using some sort of search facility that can hit upon recognised numbers.

In my case the Credit card co called me and asked if I had spent £100 odd with an internet site. I had not. They spotted this as an uncharacteristic spending pattern.

They did not ask me any further questions and said that my account would be credited with this amount, which it now has.

In addition, they closed nown my card and issued me a new card with a new number

It would do everyone to check their Ts and Cs to see if they are liable for any losses. WRT this company I am not.

Hugo
Credit Card Fraud. - robZilla
tinyurl.com/37g4e
Credit Card Fraud. - Colin M
Expanded story on www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

Credit Card Fraud. - helicopter
Just as a word of advice - please also do not let your cards out of your sight ever.

I had a card cloned - I believe it happened in a petrol station in UK and I had upwards of £4000 illegal transactions turned up mainly in Sri Lanka, they were repaid without problem after a couple of transactions were queried by the credit card company.

I believe the cc company were aware of the changed spending pattern and allowed it to run in order to try and catch the culprits red handed

They replaced the cards and I insist that I now accompany my card everywhere.

No one complains when I explain the reason.
Credit Card Fraud. - Dr Rubber
I don't think its a hoax. My Dad just got stung with 2.5k of HiFi equipment on his card after a similar call. My dad worked for one of the big four banks so is pretty clued up over such things, but even he fell for it.
Joe
Credit Card Fraud. - Dalglish
robzilla link says it is a hoaz, do NOT pass it on.
colin m link says it may or may not be a hoax.

for this scam, fraudster needs to be able to combine your card number with telephone number. take steps to stop that happening and in case that fails then take further common sense preventive measures as advised by others here.
Credit Card Fraud. - greenmondeoman
Here is another credit card fraud more to do cars,

Recently on a holiday in Hungary, I went to fill up the hire car with fuel just before getting to the airport.

I handed in my credit card to pay and was given the slip to sign. Finding it difficult to spot the amount, I asked the cashier to show me the amount. At which point she said " Oh I am sorry I used the wrong pump and overcharged you", whilst handing me several high value currency notes to make up the difference between the pump amount and what she had charged me.

Keep alert

greenmondeoman
Credit Card Fraud. - Manatee
I guess it doesn't really matter if this particular warning is a hoax, it does point up the risk of divulging security detail to unidentified callers. Not half an hour ago I had a call from "Marks & Spencer", probably genuine, saying they were following up a mailing sent recently.

When I asked what it was about, I was asked to give my DOB to confirm identity. I said no, I know who I am but I don't know who you are! How do you get round that one?
Credit Card Fraud. - wemyss
A couple of years ago there was a TV documentary on these scams. One victim was a Welsh sheep farmer who had a £5.00 withdrawal on his credit card which wasn?t genuine.
No problems with his bank who deducted it from his account.
However the BBC (I think it was ) incorporated it into their programme as it was interesting.
The £5.00 was a bill for him viewing a sex site on the web. The amusing part was that he didn?t have a computer.
The team set out to find where the money went to and traced it to a café in some South American country where the scam was ran from. A man came in once per week to collect to collect hundreds of these £5.00 debits. He had simply billed these numbers and the money was paid out to him.
The investigative team found out that no one including banks or Police agencies were interested in doing anything about it. The banks because they were such small amounts and the Police because they said the crime had been carried out in other countries.
This was perhaps before the security numbers on the backs of cards were used.
This thread is invaluable as it highlights and reinforces issues of security which most of us know but tend to forget over a period of time.
If anyone is interested in laundering money, I have many contacts in Africa who by the number of e-mails I receive appear to trust me implicitly in transferring millions of pounds to my account. How could they be so foolish to think I will give it back?
Credit Card Fraud. - Altea Ego
Its not just the net. I had my amex card cloned after filling up with fuel at a "big four" garage in the uk, west london, *15* minutes after filling up and paying it was being used to make telephone calls to Nigeria. Credit card fraud is credit card fraud, in fact its harder to do when you buy things on the net.

Which you you rather do - give your card number to a merchant over a fairly secure net link or give your card to a waiter who wanders off with it out of your sight?
Alvin,
"This was perhaps before the security numbers on the backs of cards were used."

See questions in my earlier post.

I must be thick, but I fail to see the purpose of these security numbers if the card is to be used for fraud on the internet or for a phone sale.

Once you have used your card legally for an internet or phone sale, someone knows your card number, expiry date and 3 digit security number. Similarly if the waiter/garage attendant glances at the back of your card he has that information. In these cases your card has been compromised. They now all know that VISA Card 1234 5678 9012 3456 in the name of A Alvin has an expiry date of 05/04 and the security number is xxx.

If they now wish to use that card number and information for fraudulent purposes on the internet, or to ring a sex line/Nigeria using those details to pay for the call, what is to stop them?

I recently used my card(registered to my UK address) for a phone sale from UK to a firm in the USA for goods to be delivered to an address in the USA. The man on the other end of the line simply took card details and the address where I wished the goods to be dispatched. He clearly had no idea who I was or where I was calling from.
Credit Card Fraud. - wemyss
Cardew, Yes you are quite right when one thinks about it.. As you say what difference can security numbers make if someone has seen your card.
I suppose technology has to take a quantum leap forward before we are secure and it doesnt appear possible. We read about future retina scanning and fingerprints for cash machines, but none of this can be applicable for phone, internet, or manual use of our plastic. Or can it ???..
Alvin,
I think you will covered for manual use of plastic with the next generation of cards(known as Chip and Pin) as you are required to enter a pin on a machine where the attendant doesn't see the keypad. The microchip helps prevents the card being counterfeited. Apparently these are widely in use in France and have cut fraud by over 80%.

In fact the Post Office already have these machines if you want to get cash using Alliance and Leicester cards - the old Girobank connection.

Did I get the details right for your card? I am a security officer honest!!

C
Credit Card Fraud. - hxj

Surely the point is that no system is security proof, not even 'chip & pin'. All the security code details do is add a further hoop for the fraudster to get through.

It reduces fraud in areas such as 'garbage sorting' where previously any on elooking through the garbage could get details by simply looking for discsrded card slips.

Now to order by phone or internet they would need to have seen the card. Not fail safe but it does make 'opportunity crime' harder.
Credit Card Fraud. - Jane
>>you are required to enter a pin on a machine where the attendant doesn't see the keypad

Yeah but everyone in the queue behind you can! Surely you'll just get echoes of the cash point scams where some bloke/woman would stand where they could see you enter your pin number and then mug you for your card 5 mins later before withdrawing all your hard earned cash!

(am I sounding paranoid?)

--
Holiday - Martin Devon
Dear Knowledgable friends,

Only motoring connection is the drive to the airport. Apologies, but I need your help. Daughter, (18) and five friends have booked, but not paid yet, a weeks holiday on Corfu at a resort called Kavos. I have looked up a site on the web called holidays uncovered which is all about peoples own experiences and in the main it makes awful reading. Said Daughter doesn't want to listen. Does ANYBODY here have an experience of this apparent hell hole? And yes I know she is eighteen and can do what she likes, so please don't go there.

Best Regards to all. M.
Holiday - volvoman
A post for the 'I have a question' thread methinks. However, since I'm here now, are you sure that what makes disturbing reading for you isn't exactly what your daughter and her mates are really looking for :)
Holiday - Doyle
I suspect that, that kind of website would be magnet for tales of "Holiday Hell".

Doyle
Holiday - Aprilia
Well, I have been to Corfu (which is very nice in parts), but never to Kavos - its not the sort of place I would dare venture into at my age.
Kavos has a reputation as a really wild '18-30' resort for the British - cheap drink, nightclubs, very rowdy and lots of 'goings on' (if you know what I mean....). Most other nationalities (apart from Albanian pickpockets) stay away.

Obligatory motoring content: don't let your daughter get on a hire moped (as driver or passenger) the roads are very dangerous and the kids seldom wear helmets. I think there are lots of accidents involving young British every year.
Holiday - PoloGirl
Hiya...

Your lovely innocent daughter will have picked this place exactly *because* of the reputation it has... you don't book places like this by accident ;-)

The best thing you can do is not over-react about it, and just encourage her to adopt the "Stay as a group and don't let your drink out of sight" mantra.

Hope that helps!

Holiday - Phil I
Martin,
Your daughter is 18. This is the time when all the good work you have put in over the last eighteen years will pay off. She is going with friends. Just make sure she takes mobile + charger with her and wish her a good holiday.

speaking here with voice of experience
Phil I.
Holiday - frostbite
The news yesterday reported a considerable covering of snow (weather variety) which might disrupt normal activities there!
Holiday - Manatee
Phil puts it more succinctly than I can, and IMHO he's right.

I remember having similar concerns about my daughter (curiously I don't remember this situation between me and my parents!).

In general, if she proposed to do go somewhere that I didn't approve of, I would say that it was her decision, that I would prefer that she didn't go (and tell her the reasons), say that if she decided to go I would ask her to take care of her personal safety and keep in contact (the mobile is a good suggestion), have the confidence to follow her own judgement rather than that of her friends, and call if she needed any help.

On a surprising number of occasions, when it had been established that I would not try to stop her, she changed her mind. On the occasions when she didn't, she came back safely and I like to think that she behaved more responsibly, being conscious of the trust she had been given.

Maybe we were lucky rather than clever, but she is about to graduate from Cambridge in engineering, and has had more common sense than me for some time now.

I think it was Mark Twain who said when he was 14, his father knew nothing - but when he reached 21, he was amazed how much the old boy had learned in the space of 7 years;-)
Holiday - Martin Devon
Thanks to all of you out there. I get the message and I suppose you're right.

VB Regards, Martin.
Holiday - PhilW
Martin,
As my daughter would say - been there, done that! She and 3 friends went to Kavos to celebrate passing their A levels and getting into Uni. We were very worried because 2 of the friends were "ladettes"(?) of whom we mildly disapproved. The other friend was a good character that daughter had known since primary school. The story we heard afterwards was that the group had split into the ladettes who went out on the town and the other two who, after experiencing the excesses of the wilder part of town, found it more enjoyable to sunbathe/swim/windsurf on a quieter beach and go out at night to the old part of town and sample the much cheaper drinks and proper Greek food(!!). Whether this was true or not heaven knows but the bonus was that to our knowledge she hasn't spoken to the "ladettes" since but still keeps in touch regularly with her other friend!
She has been on several holidays since and has not chosen a Kavos type place.
Have faith in your daughter!
Credit card sequel - IHAQ vol 25 - Clanger
A few weeks ago I asked for advice on how to treat a credit card company that had wrongly credited my account with £10 when the cheque I sent was for £1000. I am pleased to say that after 2 months persistence and getting seriously irritable twice, the matter has been resolved to my complete satisfaction. The company has written a polite and apologetic letter, refunded the interest on the outstanding balance and has given me £50 ex gratia.

Thanks to those who gave advice.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
High speed suck-out - L'escargot
After 21 years of faithful service our Electrolux 303 cylinder vacuum cleaner finally gave up the ghost. Compared specs and prices, and decided on an Electrolux 5116 cylinder ~ scintillating performance from 1600 watts, variable speed, up-to-the-minute design as opposed to the mediocre (but reliable) 634 watts fixed speed of the 303.

Raced down to the local main dealer and bought an eye-catching silver metallic 5116 without even a test drive. So far, so good. After 2 journeys however, (admittedly mostly flat out, but around a modest bungalow not a royal palace!) lifting the bonnet revealed that the paper dust bag supplied with the machine had split. Forty years of experience in automotive development led me to the conclusion that 1600 watts of brute power was more than an unsupported paper dust bag could take ~ the bag had ruptured, with the appearance of it having been subjected to too high a suction.

Rang Electrolux, but their reply (as you might expect) was that this was the first dust bag rupture that they had heard about. Methinks that model 5116 was put into production without sufficient development testing, and that further failures in the field (why do they say ?field? anyway?) will follow.

Any Backroomer had a similar experience?

--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
High speed suck-out - Cardew
Could you have picked up a foreign body like a nail? - perhaps the suction was so great it sucked one out of the floorboards!!

Did you read the article in the Telegraph last Saturday about vacuuming?(It seems you can't write hoovering, with a non-Hoover, or Hoover will sue)

The woman who wrote the article said only 10% ever read the manual(RTFM) and that you very rarely need to use modern machines at full power. Ruins carpets if you do.
High speed suck-out - Mark (RLBS)
>>Did you read the article in the Telegraph last Saturday about vacuuming?(It seems you can't write hoovering, with a non-Hoover, or Hoover will sue)

That was a statement made at least 20 years ago. I can't remember now whether they actually took it to court and lost, or whether they simply asked for advice and were told they would lose.

It fails just about every test - their own staff use it incorrectly, its generally acceptable, understood and used, its misuse causes no confusion or harm, they have failed to protect their own copyright and use it correctly etc. etc.
High speed suck-out - Cardew
I seem to remember the issue of 'hoovering' coming up a long time ago; but the article brought the subject up again.

Hoovering not in my issue of Shorter Oxford; I wonder if you can use it in Scrabble?
High speed suck-out - smokie
There was an amusing correspondence between Private Eye and Portakabin when the Eye described a temporary building as a portakabin, when it wasn't. Well, the man from Portakabin wasn't amusing, but the Eye's responses were.
High speed suck-out - helicopter
I will only ask why didn't you consider a Dyson ? - No paper bags required.

We had similar faithful Electrolux for many years but when we moved house wifes sister brought her Dyson along to help tidy up the old place and we found the difference amazing , so much so that the missus bought a Dyson and the Electrolux is relegated to garage to 'hoover ' out the car.

I have no connection with either company.
High speed suck-out - Mapmaker
Hmmm, a Dyson is a real carpet-wearer-out. Wish I hadn't bought a Dyson (or at least, that I'd bought one of the ones with variable suction). Every time it is used, I see the inside turning the colour of the carpet you are vacuuming, and feel sorry for the carpet.

Gets things sparkilingly clean though...
High speed suck-out - helicopter
Mapmaker - 'a real carpet wearer out' - a bit of a 'sweeping' statement there ! We too originally noticed the colour of the carpet for the first few goings over in the new place.

I don't purport to be any great expert on Dysons but I am sure that there is an adjustment on the suction /carpet beater attachment to whatever level you wish so it doesn't suck the colour out of the carpet.

They are amazingly efficient compared with the older types.

Incidentally didn't Hoover also try to copy his patented turbo design and get sued by him and lose?