Motor Industry and ITV - Mark (Brazil)
Given a couple of the threads lately, it seemed that this might be of interest. It came to be in an e-mail on another subject.

"Been ripped off by a garage ? Or are you a disgruntled mechanic looking to expose unscrupulous practices within the motor industry ? If so, ITV researchers would like to talk to you on 020 7737 8761"
Re: Motor Industry and ITV - honest john
The agenda is already written. They phoned me. There was a recent government survey allegedly exposing garage rip offs. The SMMT is calling for all garages and motor traders to be licensed. The trouble is, the biggest rip-offs are perpetrated by franchised dealers, especially franchises for prestige marques (like £1,200 for a steering rack that merely needs a new pipe costing £11). But the TV researcher wasn't interested in this. She wanted to know about rip offs by the little guys and the home traders. I couldn't help her.

HJ
Re: Motor Industry and ITV - richard price
Franchised garages have more cash to pay for the necessary Lawyers and injunctions etc etc.
Re: Motor Industry and ITV - Ian Cook
And it's all part of a strategy to get the money back that the public have been demanding that they save on the price of new cars.

Several threads recently have bemoaned the complexity of servicing certain items (Vectra clutches spring to mind). Again, the cartel of manufacturers and their servicing arms have the whole plot sewn up.

Time to go back to a side valve horse and cart?
Re: Motor Industry and ITV - Martin
Funny you should say that. When I was a lad my dad had a Singer side valve horse and cart that broke down on the M2....