Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - PoloGirl
Sure you're all well aware Polo's been for his MOT today.

They just phoned and said there's 1000 miles left on the brakes (funny that - 10,000 miles ago they told me there were only 3000 miles left on them, when they'd only been on a month and were actually fine) and that the rear exhaust box had gone.

Quoted me £111 to do the brakes and £171 to do rear and middle exhaust. I told them not to do the brakes (I don't have a death wish, I just have a handy dad) and asked if the car would fail because of the exhaust. Service Bloke said yes, so I asked if the MOT had already been done and he said they're doing it now. So I said just to fail it and I'd get the work done next week (MOT doesn't run out til next Friday). He didn't seem to like that but eventually understood that I didn't want to give him £200.

He's just left me a voice mail saying that as I was so adamant I didn't want the work done, he's double checked the MOT criteria and although there's a hole in the exhaust (which will grow apparently) it hasn't actually failed the MOT. And don't anyone tell me, as bloke I live with just has, that the hole will be a result of sitting doing nothing on the bodyshop forecourt for 4 months!

You just know if I'd said yes to the work he wouldn't have double checked that one little thing.

Me and this car - nothing's ever simple.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - nick
Good for you, Pologirl. The bloke probably thought 'girl, no idea, make a few quid here'. You'll probably find the hole doesn't exist. If possible, it's always worth being present while an MOT is done so you can be shown the problem. They then have to gamble on whether the wool can be pulled over your eyes.
I would have thought any hole in the exhaust (except the one in the end!) would be a fail. Anyone know chapter and verse from the Tester's Bible?
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - Sooty Tailpipes
Find another garage....
The MOT test doesn't include a check on the life left on brake pads, in fact, it's against the rules for them to check, as on your car, the wheel would have to be removed - a no-no! There is a check on the efficiency of the brakes, but the efficiency of them in the test would not be effected by wear until they wear down to the metal.

Can't comment on the back box, however, it sounds like he'd one of those idiot who'll poke things until there is a hole.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - Pugugly {P}
Do they have to remove the wheels, on Vauxhalls you can certainly check them on a ramp without taking the wheel off.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - umistim
Some vehicles have exhaust silencers with double skins, the exterior skin can be corroded through but if the inner skin is intact,ie; no exhaust gases leaking, then it is acceptable to pass the M.O.T. test.
On the question of the brakes, of course the garage should advise you that the brake material is low. Imagine how you would have felt in a couple of months time had they not done so when the worn-through pads would have scored the brake discs creating a much bigger repair bill.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - Civic8
He didn`t have to check.If the exhaust is not leaking it is a pass.Brakes if working correctly is a pass the fact the pads are low is adviseory and so is exhaust.still passed.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - J Bonington Jagworth
"..don't anyone tell me, as bloke I live with just has.."

OK, I won't (even though he might be right).. :-)
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - Dalglish
pologirl: imo, any visit to maindealer is expensive blunder. for mot always go to special test station preferably not linked to garage/tyres/exhaust/service centre. some final exhaust boxes have tiny wee drain hole. pun not intended.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - henry k
pologirl: for mot
always go to special test station preferably not linked to garage/tyres/exhaust/service centre.

I would agree totally with this advice.
I have many MoT stations in my area with the closest half a mile away.
I prefer to take the family's cars to an independant outfit (with no garage facilities what so ever) 10 miles away. They were established in 1962 and I think I have been using them most of the years since.
They are incredibly helpful.
Will make small adjustments to correct things
They just keep bulbs and wiper blades to hand.
Show you any failed items in detail
Warn you of pending problems etc. etc.
If you are near the Heathrow area they are on the Bath Road at Cranford.
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - cockle {P}
He's just left me a voice mail saying that as I
was so adamant I didn't want the work done, he's double
checked the MOT criteria and although there's a hole in the
exhaust (which will grow apparently) it hasn't actually failed the MOT.

As I understood it, if the exhaust has a hole it must be leaking, if it is leaking then tester should not carry out an emission test as reading will be inaccurate, if emission test can not be completed then MOT is a fail.
Therefore I would suggest that either the hole is not leaking, or non-existant, because by doing emission test he has risked losing his MOT registration for not carrying out a test correctly OR he was trying to pull a fast one. While your Dad is having a look at the brakes get him to have a look at the back box while the engine is running, he'll soon notice if it's blowing.
One thing you should do, FIND ANOTHER MOT STATION, while this guy was playing chase the job what did he miss? Certainly wouldn't inspire me with confidence in his ability. Ask around amongst your work colleagues and friends, who do they use? A recommendation from two three people is worth its weight in gold, not always reliable, of course, but it improves the odds of them being half decent.

Cockle
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - CG
Henry K is spot on - I too will ONLY get MOTs done at a test station with no other facilities or tie-up with another firm, either there or anywhere else. That way the temptation to invent faults requiring repair is virtually eliminated. My local one has provided a good service for the past 3-4 tests and I wouldn't dream of going to a garage outfit. Sorry if that's a bit too cautious for some, but over the years you can get a bit cynical about the motor trade.....

CG
Could Have Been An Expensive Blunder - Mapmaker
So is my DIY patch an MOT fail. It doesn't leak, and is patched with a bit of putty, some jubilee clips and metal sheeting (Heinz baked bean tin, actually). Very very proud of it, too!