Various - Honest John QA - jgrahampo

Is it just me or is the advice being given on "Ask HJ" pretty poor? I've just looked at Dan Powell's reply about a garage charging 45ppm for depreciation on a faulty used car. He seems to think 45ppm is ok as it's the HMRC rate BUT that rate is for drivers using cars for work so has a large proportion of that 45pence per mile to cover fuel, insurance and tax. The depreciation element is only a fraction of 45p per mile but he doesn't even consider that.

Over recent years the quality of advice in general is extremely poor. It used to be excellent.

Various - Honest John QA - mcb100
45ppm is the usual figure for a customer who wants a refund instead of allowing the dealer to repair it after the first 30 days.
The dealer takes the car back at a reduced price, rectifies the issue, and, given the way the used car market is operating, adds a couple of hundred to the price they sold the car for previously.
Various - Honest John QA - Engineer Andy

Talking of advice that used to be from Honest John, Alex Robbins has taken over the mantle of HJ as 'expert' for the Telegraph, but unfortunately readers aren't exactly enamoured with his work and regularly (including in yesterday's 'Ask the expert') ask 'Where is Honest John?', etc.

Various - Honest John QA - rustonboy

Oh - the Telegraph - so sad :-(

Various - Honest John QA - Brit_in_Germany

It seems like HJ is back in the Ask HJ section, under a new name "Sarah Tooze".

Various - Honest John QA - catsdad

Nah the picture is real enough but no mention of V-power or left foot braking so clearly an imposter. Seriously I wish he would pop up somewhere but I suspect its not to be.

Various - Honest John QA - barney100

Used to love the motoring section in the Telegraph, I don't buy it anymore.

Various - Honest John QA - JonestHon

Used to love the motoring section in the Telegraph, I don't buy it anymore.

Same here, but the net changed that and for the better, the bias in that paper was a bit too much for me plus the ecological foot print of a weekend paper is something I can do without.

www.newscientist.com/lastword/mg24933211-400-is-it.../

Various - Honest John QA - Xileno

"Seriously I wish he would pop up somewhere but I suspect its not to be."

I guess he's enjoying his retirement, he's of that age.

I remember writing to him in the late 90s I think it was as I had seen this unusual car in Italy on German plates, so I took a photo and sent it to him. He replied saying it was some GM model we don't get in Europe, I can't recall the details. A sort of large two door coupe. Helpful and knowledgeable man I thought and took the time to reply.

It will be interesting to read the new incumbent's answers in the coming months.

Various - Honest John QA - davethesteam

Re: Dan Powell and Nissan Note Tyre wear 3.11.21

I have to take issue with Dan on his reply - his statements are, generically true. But, I had a Note Diesel for 6 years and managed to get 40k miles out of a set of tyres.

Trying Continentals (as supplied new with the car)- the figure of only 14 k was reached, Changed to Michelin and that is where the huge difference happened. Of course, tracking had to be checked and tyre pressures kept to the figures found inside the door frame.Great little car - shame it was discontinued.Driving method obviously affects the mileages achieved, but the Note was hardly a car that encouraged thrashing and BMW type driving

Various - Honest John QA - Engineer Andy

It seems like HJ is back in the Ask HJ section, under a new name "Sarah Tooze".

I think you mean that the section is back, not that Mr HJ has come back as a Ms...

Various - Honest John QA - Brit_in_Germany

No, at the time her posts were showing HJ's picture. She now has her own one though.