Audi 90 Quattro - Angus Graham
I have an elderly Audi 90 quattro. 1989 2.3 Litre. which has problems in the fuel area. Can you help/advise?

The fuel pump had been noisy for about 3 months and recently after about three miles ( when engine warm) the engine would just cut out. So I thought the fuel pump is very tired and replaced it. All nice and quiet now but tyhe problem is still there.

When the engine dies I pull over fiddle with the ignition key and after a few attempts and sometimes the sound of a clicking relay all is well again,

Any advice will be much appreciated.

P.S I have noticed that a small electrical device near the inlet manifold buzzes wheb the ignition is turned on, but maybe it has always done that.
RE: Audi 90 Quattro - trevor
you must first establish whether this cutting out is loss of fuel or ignition related perhaps if you obtained a simple spark tester which could be fitted to one of the plugs to allow the car to be run and flash to show a spark present it would help the diagnosis. also i think this system has a safety relay which only allows fuel pump to run continuosly when it senses an ighition "run" signal
RE: Audi 90 Quattro - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
A common failure is the fuel pump relay which can overheat and cut the fuel pump. This is particularly so if the pump is tired and drawing a higher current than normal. The pump will also draw more power if the fuel filter is partially blocked.
RE: Audi 90 Quattro - Angus Graham
Thank you, the relay was the problem. Dissapointing that it cost £61.00.

Many thanks