Mazda 2 - Steering Knock, Intermediate Steering Shaft - Mr.Paws

My 2011 Mazda 2 has a knock on the steering, when turning large amounts at very slow speeds. I know this is the intermediate steering shaft, just like the mk7 Fiesta. I sprayed some lithium grease on the top joint and it went. But it came back after a couple of days. I'm just wondering if this spray grease was not very good or does it need a new part. If I do take the shaft out and clean it, what kind of grease should I be using?

I guess a new part is the safest. I don't imagine it will be cheap from Mazda. Thanks for any help

Mazda 2 - Steering Knock, Intermediate Steering Shaft - Andrew-T

Presumably if you have a mechanical knock there is play in a joint. Grease will quieten it for a while, but gradually be squeezed out, so knock returns ?

Mazda 2 - Steering Knock, Intermediate Steering Shaft - Bolt

My 2011 Mazda 2 has a knock on the steering, when turning large amounts at very slow speeds. I know this is the intermediate steering shaft, just like the mk7 Fiesta. I sprayed some lithium grease on the top joint and it went. But it came back after a couple of days. I'm just wondering if this spray grease was not very good or does it need a new part. If I do take the shaft out and clean it, what kind of grease should I be using?

I guess a new part is the safest. I don't imagine it will be cheap from Mazda. Thanks for any help

I assume you mean the steering column bottom joint, usually a universal joint, once they knock they have to be replaced as the play in the joint only gets worse, greasing will make no difference, quieten for a while is all it will do.

Mazda 2 - Steering Knock, Intermediate Steering Shaft - Mr.Paws

The reason I suggested using grease is that's what I read a lot of people did with the Mk7 fiesta, as it's a known fault. It's a shaft with a joint on either end. One connects to the power steering motor behind the steering wheel, and the other to the steering rack down by the pedals. I agree a new part is probably the way to go. Shame I can't seem to find a pattern part, as Mazda are a bit of a rip off in my experience.

Mazda 2 - Steering Knock, Intermediate Steering Shaft - Bolt

The reason I suggested using grease is that's what I read a lot of people did with the Mk7 fiesta, as it's a known fault. It's a shaft with a joint on either end. One connects to the power steering motor behind the steering wheel, and the other to the steering rack down by the pedals. I agree a new part is probably the way to go. Shame I can't seem to find a pattern part, as Mazda are a bit of a rip off in my experience.

Greasing wont last long and doesn`t prevent the UJ from wearing, but its up to you if you use a pattern part, but I don`t recommend it as I have known pattern parts to wear knock faster than OEM

As its steering I would be very careful what you use!