Can you recommend a small car for short journeys?

Which car do you recommend for short journeys? I now only drive about 3 miles per day to work. Also, would it be better to go for a brand new one or one a couple of years old? Need it to be reliable and cost-effective. I currently have a 2004 Volkswagen Lupo with 90,000 miles on the clock. I've had it from brand new and it been great but it's starting to cost me in repairs to keep it on the road. I think it could be time to change. Thanks.

Asked on 7 January 2021 by Hazel Buglass

A brand new car is a bit extravagant for your short commute but it might be worthwhile – a small amount each month on a PCP payment, for example, will take away the need to worry about the annual MOT test or the cost of repairs as the car gets older. We'd recommend a Kia Picanto or Suzuki Swift – two little cars which will be very cheap to run. You might find an electric car suits your needs, too – something like the electric Fiat 500 or Peugeot e-208.