Top Gear - Paul Robinson
Just read the item in the news section about the demise of Top Gear. I think I have said before that I regard one of my claims to fame as having once co-written an article with Quentin Willson, we were both contributors to Buying Cars magazine at the time.

I was in touch with Quentin at one stage about some Top Gear programming ideas with a strong consumer/financial theme, however the verdict was that the
commissioning editors wouldn?t consider anything without a ?wow! factor? - perhaps they mis-judged the viewing public and content with a bit more substance was required.
Re: Top Gear - Roger Jones
HJ's new "editorial" is spot on. I'd go further and say let Top Gear burn its rubber and feed its fantasies if you must -- the commissioning editors seem convinced that it's the only way to get the audience figures -- but reschedule it as the kids' programme that it nearly is now and certainly would be then. Then, start something new that will satisfy the millions of serious motorists wanting information, analysis, truth and the occasional campaigning feature . . . oh, am I describing Driven? Well, not quite, but I'm sure you see what I mean. And Quentin Willson, yes, but Jeremy Clarkson, well . . .
Jeremy Clarkson - the root cause! - Guy Lacey
I read Clarkson's column in the T*mes today and he mentioned the loss of Top Gear versus the "weak opposition of the other channels" - by that he must mean the *excellent* Driven and Deals on Wheels - well done Mr Brewer.

Clarkson also stated, "...the public won't be able to see fast cars driven fast" - well I'm going to lose sleep over that one Jez.............

It just shows how badly wrong they got it in the end.
Re: Jeremy Clarkson - the root cause! - Mark (Brazil)
> - by that he must mean the *excellent* Driven and
> Deals on Wheels - well done Mr Brewer.

About two or three weeks ago I saw a Motoring Programme in the UK. I didn't catch its name, but it was a guy with a London accent reviewing the new Jeep Cherokee.

Is that likely to be the programme you're talking about ?

M.
Driven & D on W - Guy Lacey
Oh yes - the main man Mr Brewer and his cheeky-chappie cockney twang.
Re: Driven & D on W - Mark (Brazil)
Well, he was essentially reviewing the new Cherokee, which loooked a little strange, but quite pleasant.

However, he repeatedly said words to the effect of "and it maintains the Cherokee's fine tradition of excellent off-road capability". Probably mentioned this four or five times.

Now, I am no expert on this program, since this represents the only time I have even seen it and even then I only saw that article.

I am also no expert on the new Cherokee. I didn't even know there was going to be one other than a comment by HJ a few weeks ago.

However, I had one of the Cherokee's, about 4 years ago, and it was new at the time. The thing was totally diabolical off-road. It got stuck in mud, it wandered all over the place, its ground clearance was too low - to the point where I was always bashing something or other; glasses fell off, dentures fell out and wigs slipped. Even the dogs used to disappear at the thought of a trip and preferred running behind it laughing. Even the load capacity was terrible compared to my 4-Runner. I eventually replaced the Cherokee when it fell over and broke.

A fine road car, it may be. It may be that none of them will ever go off road anyway - But wotsit said it was good on the dirt, repeatedly, and its not - off road it stinks.

M.
keep top gear. - chris watson
i hope that the beeb keep top gear, ok its not a brilliant program, but at least its not another cookery program or a d.i.y show, because thats all the bbc seems to make.
Re: keep top gear. - zak mattin
I'm pretty sure that the BBC's decision is political, as anything that could be deemed to promote motoring (it is a very popular programme), questions the transport policies of this stupid government and stands up for road users, Mr Blair and co. are not going to be keen on are they?

As the BBC today is nothing more than Labours propaganda dept this is probably the case.
Re: keep top gear. - Mark
Chaps

any pro motoring programme on any channel has to be good news;

all the clowns asked to present are down to personal taste as to whether they are liked or not.

The same goes for article content whilst some will wet their pants if they see an EVO doing doughnuts others will write to the editor.

Similarly articles about buying a cheap Volvo and running to Glasgow and selling it for less than its purchase price and the petrol will send others to sleep.

Clarkson for all his faults did establish motoring as an interesting subject on TV; better than some old f*rt wittering on about the flat four engine in their Jowett Javelin and how they have'nt seen a Vauxall Wyvern for years.

As ever

Mark
BBC Propaganda dept? - Stuart B
"As the BBC today is nothing more than Labours propaganda dept this is probably the case."

If that is the case how come Labour complained about the BBC coverage of the last election, just like the Tories did.
I consider that there are a few journos in the BBC who put the questions we the public would like putting, then get hounded by the Government because they have not stuck to the programme the spin doctors tried to get in place.

Only one good spin doctor, Shane Warne.....unfortunately.