An update and a question - Monaro
Firstly the update. My time in NZ has come to an end. Hence the little bomber I have bought is to go to a good new home. It has driven on beaches, on off-road courses and along some of the worst and steepest and scariest roads I have found yet. I paid $1700 and sold for $1400 after 9 months and 40000km (yes 40000km). The bomber was a 1987 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 CX. Utterly reliable. I had the cambelt changed when I bought it, and apart from one CV boot, a headlight adjustment, an oil pressure switch (I think), a door knob (a relative broke it off when they came out here) spark plugs and fuel and air filters, it has only had oil and filter changes every 5000km as per the manual. Thanks to everyone who helped me with my questions when buying it. Also, I can report that it is fun driving a car with low levels of grip enthusiastically (but within the limits of the law)

The question has come about due to the car. The oil pressure switch ( I think) was replaced because it was peeing oil everywhere. All over the drive of the rented property. Has anyone any ideas how to get oil off a driveway (tarmac) and a garage floor (concrete)?

Thanks in advance.

Paul C
An update and a question - SkyMan
Hi Paul,

When I was in the UK I managed to spill a sump-load on the driveway. Luckily the local Halfords had some "stuff" that shifted it - I think it was really strong detergent, nothing more. Took a lot of scrubbing, and there was still a mark.

Give Repco a ring, they might have something...

PS - Hope you liked NZ :)
An update and a question - Monaro
Will try Repco. Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

PS NZ is awesome, I've been here a year now - and an even better place to live in - especially Christchurch. Akaroa, Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass, Taylors Mistake, and Mount Hutt all so close and the weather oh so sunny - if a little chilly at the moment.
Paul C
An update and a question - volvoman
Yes, I heard temperatures in the antipodes had cooled a good bit after England well and truly stuffed the All Blacks and the Wallabies :-)
An update and a question - THe Growler
See if you can find Simple Green at your local car store. It is an enviro-Ok degreaser and will shift anything with the help of a stiff broom of brush, then hose it off. Have used it for exactly the same problem as yours.
An update and a question - Roger Jones
I have found Fairy Liquid to be a good remover of oil stains on concrete. Work up a good lather with a concentrated solution, take scubbing brush and apply with plenty of elbow grease. Rinse thoroughly.
An update and a question - John S
Paul

As it's a tarmac drive, for heavens sake don't use Gunk or similar degreaser! It will strip the binder from the drive and leave a hole full of stones.

Try leaving some oil absorbing granules on the stain for a day or two (cat litter will do if you can't find the real thing), and then a wash with detergent and hot water.

Regards

John S